filesystem...new pie question - SUN

This is a discussion on filesystem...new pie question - SUN ; I need a well definition of filesystem ? written in tutorial that I can create my own filesystem ,and I know filesystem is a structure of directories and files but my question : Is filesystems related to the slices ? ...

  1. filesystem...new pie question

    I need a well definition of filesystem ?

    written in tutorial that I can create my own filesystem ,and I know
    filesystem is a structure of directories and files but my question :
    Is filesystems related to the slices ?
    Also

    /root is a filesystem . Is it related to slice 0 only ?
    /swap is a filesystem . Is it related to slice 1 only?

    Where can I create my own filesystems in the Slices .

    Thanks in advance .

  2. Re: filesystem...new pie question

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com writes:

    > I need a well definition of filesystem ?
    >
    > written in tutorial that I can create my own filesystem ,and I know
    > filesystem is a structure of directories and files but my question :
    > Is filesystems related to the slices ?

    My solaris disk administration skills are rusty. Forgive my errors.

    Sun uses the format(1M) program. This partitions and labels the disk.
    Read the manual page, and study the manual pages references in the See Also
    section. Sun provides manuals on disk partitions.
    See

    Disk Management in System Administration Guide,

    The disk is subdivided into smaller blocks called partitions.
    File systems can be installed on partitions, unless you use voulme management to combine multiple disks/partitions.

    Each partition consists of one or more cylinders.

    The file /etc/format.dat contains information on each disk type. Make
    sure you know the exact disk and all of the data before you change
    anything.

    For istance

    disk_type = "Toshiba MK 156F" \
    : ctlr = MD21 \
    : ncyl = 815 : acyl = 2 : pcyl = 830 : nhead = 10 : nsect = 34 \
    : rpm = 3600 : bpt = 20832

    Number of cylinders are 815.

    Number of heads = 10 (so there are 5 physical disk platters - each
    with 2 heads).

    In short, a cylinder is all of the tracks available (one for each
    head) when the head is not moving. With 5 platters, the ten heads can
    each see 34 sectors as the disk rotates around. So 1 cylinder = 10 *
    34 blocks.

    Remember - when the head moves, this is slow so the idea is to keep
    the heads from moving. The worst case is moving the head form one
    cylinder to the last.

    Cylinder 0 is the outermost (I think) one. Partitions are groups of
    contiguous cylinders. That is, if you have a partition of 10
    cylinders, the heads move in and out a maximum of 10 increments.

    So if the disk has 200 cylinders, you can create partitons so that
    Partition Cylnders
    1 0-10
    2 11-50
    3 0-200
    4 51-200

    I think by convention - one of the partitions - in this case 3 -
    refers to the entire disk. This is used in some maintence functions.
    Note that partiton 1, 2 and 4 do NOT overlap. This is essential to understand.

    When you format a disk - you re-partition the disk and create labels -
    determine which label corresponds to which group of cylinders.
    Partition #1 can be any set of cylinders. But I suggest you partiton
    and lable the cylinders in order so you don't get yourself and others
    confused.

    I think these labels correspond to "slices." On some systems, the name
    is really a number, and is appended to the name of the disk
    (/dev/dha5, etc.)

    On other systems (solaris), it uses a name like /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6

    Solaris allows you to use the format program while the system is running.

    When executing format, the verify command shows you what the current
    partitioning is.

    So you can execute "format" and then type "verify" and "quit"
    and nothing will be changed.

    > /root is a filesystem . Is it related to slice 0 only ?
    > /swap is a filesystem . Is it related to slice 1 only?

    Do a "df -t 4.2" to see what partitions are currently being used.

    NOTE that one of your partitions is NOT mounted - it is used for the
    swapping partition.

    > Where can I create my own filesystems in the Slices .

    An an unused partition - if you have any.

    Forgive me but if you don't know what you are doing, you may destroy
    everything on your disk.

    Before you proceed, you better make sure you are doing something safe.
    Here are some questions:

    What type of disk do you have?
    What is the number of cylinders, heads, sectors, etc?
    How is the disk currently partitions?
    What file systems do you currently have mounted and used?
    Are you sure you have an unused partition?
    Is this a new disk, or one currenting being used?