KVM switch on Ultra 20 - SUN

This is a discussion on KVM switch on Ultra 20 - SUN ; I'm using an IOGEAR GCS1732 KVM switch with a Sun Ultra 20 workstation. The KVM is on the HCL list. After connecting to the switch the Ultra 20 fails to boot up. On powerup the fan spins for a few ...

  1. KVM switch on Ultra 20

    I'm using an IOGEAR GCS1732 KVM switch with a Sun Ultra 20 workstation.
    The KVM is on the HCL list.

    After connecting to the switch the Ultra 20 fails to boot up. On
    powerup the fan spins for a few seconds and then shuts off but the
    power light stays on. The system doesn't show any video or spin the
    host drive.

    Since I had Sun support, Sun sent a guy out who checked it and couldn't
    find anything wrong. He chalked it up to a bad power supply, replaced
    it, and the system came back up.

    After a month, I reconnected the system to the KVM and it immediately
    failed again.

    Has anyone else seen this problem?

    I put a console back on the Ultra 20 but it refuses to boot now, just
    like before.

  2. Re: KVM switch on Ultra 20

    ccannick@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm using an IOGEAR GCS1732 KVM switch with a Sun Ultra 20 workstation.
    > The KVM is on the HCL list.
    >
    > After connecting to the switch the Ultra 20 fails to boot up. On
    > powerup the fan spins for a few seconds and then shuts off but the
    > power light stays on. The system doesn't show any video or spin the
    > host drive.
    >
    > Since I had Sun support, Sun sent a guy out who checked it and couldn't
    > find anything wrong. He chalked it up to a bad power supply, replaced
    > it, and the system came back up.
    >
    > After a month, I reconnected the system to the KVM and it immediately
    > failed again.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this problem?
    >
    > I put a console back on the Ultra 20 but it refuses to boot now, just
    > like before.

    I would be inclined to believe that the KVM switch is defective!

  3. Re: KVM switch on Ultra 20

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > ccannick@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using an IOGEAR GCS1732 KVM switch with a Sun Ultra 20 workstation.
    >> The KVM is on the HCL list.
    >>
    >> After connecting to the switch the Ultra 20 fails to boot up. On
    >> powerup the fan spins for a few seconds and then shuts off but the
    >> power light stays on. The system doesn't show any video or spin the
    >> host drive.
    >>
    >> Since I had Sun support, Sun sent a guy out who checked it and couldn't
    >> find anything wrong. He chalked it up to a bad power supply, replaced
    >> it, and the system came back up.
    >>
    >> After a month, I reconnected the system to the KVM and it immediately
    >> failed again.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else seen this problem?
    >>
    >> I put a console back on the Ultra 20 but it refuses to boot now, just
    >> like before.
    >>

    > I would be inclined to believe that the KVM switch is defective!

    It's hard to see how it could wreck a power supply, as it apparently did first
    time.

    I'm not saying you are odd that changing a PSU would bring about a cure the
    first time.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  4. Re: KVM switch on Ultra 20

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    >> I would be inclined to believe that the KVM switch is defective!

    > It's hard to see how it could wreck a power supply, as it apparently did
    > first time.
    >
    > I'm not saying you are odd that changing a PSU would bring about a cure
    > the first time.

    Oops, that come out a bit wrong!!

    I meant to say I am not saying that you are *wrong*, but it seems unlikely to
    wreck a PSU.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.