free unix shells - SUN

This is a discussion on free unix shells - SUN ; Are there any free unix shell accounts out there that someone can use to practice shell scripting etc?...

  1. free unix shells

    Are there any free unix shell accounts out there that someone can use
    to practice shell scripting etc?

  2. Re: free unix shells

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, nick wrote:

    > Are there any free unix shell accounts out there that someone can use
    > to practice shell scripting etc?

    Yes: your own computer. Download Solaris (free) and install it.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: free unix shells

    nick wrote:

    > Are there any free unix shell accounts out there that someone can use
    > to practice shell scripting etc?

    Why not just by a cheap Sun box on e-Bay? Some come with Solaris
    installed or you can buy a Solaris 10 media kit for $40 or download it
    for free. For that matter, I have an old Ultra 5, 360MHz Sparc, 256MB,
    ~9GB disk, CD-ROM, floppy I'd part with. You'd have to find a Sun
    keyboard and mouse for it and a monitor. I bought it to practice newly
    acquired Sysadmin skills and have since upgraded to a trio of Ultra 10s.

  4. Re: free unix shells

    nick wrote:
    > Are there any free unix shell accounts out there that someone can use
    > to practice shell scripting etc?

    In addition to what others have suggested (buying a cheap Sun or running
    Solaris x86 on your PC), take a look at the HP testdrive

    http://www.testdrive.hp.com/

    There you will find free accounts on machines running Linux, HP-UX,
    tru64, FreeBSD etc. You will have to read the conditions of their use,
    but I can't see anyone complaining about your intended usage.

    If using the HP Testdrive site, I would be tempted to use a tru64 or
    HP-UX machine, rather than a Linux/*BSD one, as GNU bash shell
    (/bin/bash) has so many extensions that you will get into bad habits.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  5. Re: free unix shells

    Take a look at grex.cyberspace.org (just telnet there).