Vibration Tolerance - SUN

This is a discussion on Vibration Tolerance - SUN ; Help! The construction company preparing to tear down a structure that butts up against our data center is requesting an estimate of the vibration tolerance on our 200+ servers, etc., in our data center. I'm not having much luck getting ...

  1. Vibration Tolerance

    Help! The construction company preparing to tear down a structure that
    butts up against our data center is requesting an estimate of the
    vibration tolerance on our 200+ servers, etc., in our data center. I'm
    not having much luck getting this info off of the technical spec sheets
    on the myriad of servers we have let alone even understanding how to
    decipher the info I CAN find. What the heck do I do?? My director
    wants this info ASAP. Thanks for any help you can provide even if it's
    only to point me to entry level reading material.

  2. Re: Vibration Tolerance

    In article <1142491269.209947.270430@j52g2000cwj.googlegroups. com>,
    theresa.brownfield@gmail.com wrote:

    > Help! The construction company preparing to tear down a structure that
    > butts up against our data center is requesting an estimate of the
    > vibration tolerance on our 200+ servers, etc., in our data center. I'm
    > not having much luck getting this info off of the technical spec sheets
    > on the myriad of servers we have let alone even understanding how to
    > decipher the info I CAN find. What the heck do I do?? My director
    > wants this info ASAP. Thanks for any help you can provide even if it's
    > only to point me to entry level reading material.

    Why not ask the construction company hold off on work before proceeding.
    You can start by asking your corporate counsel to discuss the
    ramifications of doing damage to your facility and the liability and
    exposure to litegation from such actions.

    Then call your sales rep or the vendor you bought the machines from. It
    may not be a published metric and require research.

    Suppose the construction company damages your building such that the
    datacenter has to relocate. Has your directory planned for such a
    disaster? Might be time to look at that possibility while the
    construction is going on next store. Who knows? They might "damage a
    power line" while they're working. Ready to loose power and for how
    long?

  3. Re: Vibration Tolerance

    theresa.brownfield@gmail.com wrote:
    > Help! The construction company preparing to tear down a structure that
    > butts up against our data center is requesting an estimate of the
    > vibration tolerance on our 200+ servers, etc., in our data center. I'm
    > not having much luck getting this info off of the technical spec sheets
    > on the myriad of servers we have let alone even understanding how to
    > decipher the info I CAN find. What the heck do I do?? My director
    > wants this info ASAP. Thanks for any help you can provide even if it's
    > only to point me to entry level reading material.

    You need to look at the data center as a system, not just at an
    individual computer... The vibration level specs of one computer will
    not represent your data center tolerance to vibration levels... What you
    might want to do is hire some consultants to perform a random vibration
    analysis of the whole system, with the input vibration (most likely
    random vibration) coming from the demolition company...

    First thing I would do is return the question to the demolition company:
    ask for a PSD acceleration (or SRS,...) level expected during the
    demolition, that should delay them by a bunch :-)

    If you'd like to go the consulting route, I just happen to work for a
    company that do that for a living (not just for data centers, but for
    mechanical systems in general, including avionics), we probably could
    help... We could go as detailed as being able to tell you if a DIMM is
    going to jump out of its socket :-)

    Let me know.

  4. Re: Vibration Tolerance

    wrote:

    >Help! The construction company preparing to tear down a structure that
    >butts up against our data center is requesting an estimate of the
    >vibration tolerance on our 200+ servers, etc., in our data center. I'm
    >not having much luck getting this info off of the technical spec sheets
    >on the myriad of servers we have let alone even understanding how to
    >decipher the info I CAN find. What the heck do I do?? My director
    >wants this info ASAP. Thanks for any help you can provide even if it's
    >only to point me to entry level reading material.

    Since this is comp.sys.sun.admin, call Sun. They do have this information on
    the vibration tolerances that were tested for each model. DOn't know about
    any other vendors you use though

    -Raf

+ Reply to Thread