Problem in Solaris 10 Installation - SUN

This is a discussion on Problem in Solaris 10 Installation - SUN ; Hi everybody. I'm experiencing some problems in Solaris 10 CD installation. I encounter a problem in disk selection, because I receive this error, selecting the disk on which I want to install the OS: This disk (c0t0d0) cannot be used ...

  1. Problem in Solaris 10 Installation

    Hi everybody. I'm experiencing some problems in Solaris 10 CD installation.

    I encounter a problem in disk selection, because I receive this error,
    selecting the disk on which I want to install the OS:

    This disk (c0t0d0) cannot be used to install Solaris software.

    This disk drive does not have a valid label. If you want to use
    this disk for the install, exit the Solaris Interactive
    Installation program, use the format(1M) command from the
    command line to label the disk, and type 'install-solaris' to
    restart the installation program.

    I exited the install program and tried to label the disk. The disk's
    partition is:

    partition> print
    Current partition table (unnamed):
    Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

    Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
    0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17679025
    3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232

    and when I try to label the disk the error is:

    partition> label
    Ready to label disk, continue? yes

    label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions
    Partition 8 overlaps partition 2.
    Warning: error writing EFI.
    Label failed.

    My hardware is:
    Sun Enterprise 450 (2 X UltraSPARC-II 400MHz), No Keyboard
    OpenBoot 3.14, 1536 MB memory installed

    Can you explain me where is the error?

    Thank in advance.

    Arrigo.

  2. Re: Problem in Solaris 10 Installation - UPDATE

    I tried to resize backup partition so that it is:
    partition> p
    Current partition table (unnamed):
    Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

    Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
    0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17672848
    3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232

    partition> label
    Ready to label disk, continue? yes
    partition>

    In this way, I can label the disk without error, but the installation
    gives the same error. At the moment I'm re-formatting the disk.

    Arrigo

    Arrigo ha scritto:
    > Hi everybody. I'm experiencing some problems in Solaris 10 CD installation.
    >
    > I encounter a problem in disk selection, because I receive this error,
    > selecting the disk on which I want to install the OS:
    >

    > This disk (c0t0d0) cannot be used to install Solaris software.
    >
    > This disk drive does not have a valid label. If you want to use
    > this disk for the install, exit the Solaris Interactive
    > Installation program, use the format(1M) command from the
    > command line to label the disk, and type 'install-solaris' to
    > restart the installation program.
    >
    > I exited the install program and tried to label the disk. The disk's
    > partition is:
    >
    > partition> print
    > Current partition table (unnamed):
    > Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
    >
    > Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
    > 0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17679025
    > 3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232
    >
    > and when I try to label the disk the error is:
    >
    > partition> label
    > Ready to label disk, continue? yes
    >
    > label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions
    > Partition 8 overlaps partition 2.
    > Warning: error writing EFI.
    > Label failed.
    >

    > My hardware is:
    > Sun Enterprise 450 (2 X UltraSPARC-II 400MHz), No Keyboard
    > OpenBoot 3.14, 1536 MB memory installed
    >
    > Can you explain me where is the error?
    >
    > Thank in advance.
    >
    > Arrigo.

  3. Re: Problem in Solaris 10 Installation - UPDATE

    Whats with partition 8? Thinking it must be 7.

    Please delete the partition and install the OS.
    You can create the partition 7 if the OS is installed
    or within the installation process

    heinz

    "Arrigo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I tried to resize backup partition so that it is:
    > partition> p
    > Current partition table (unnamed):
    > Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
    >
    > Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
    > 0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17672848
    > 3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232
    >
    > partition> label
    > Ready to label disk, continue? yes
    > partition>
    >
    > In this way, I can label the disk without error, but the installation
    > gives the same error. At the moment I'm re-formatting the disk.
    >
    > Arrigo
    >

    > Arrigo ha scritto:
    >> Hi everybody. I'm experiencing some problems in Solaris 10 CD
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> I encounter a problem in disk selection, because I receive this error,
    >> selecting the disk on which I want to install the OS:
    >>

    >> This disk (c0t0d0) cannot be used to install Solaris software.
    >>
    >> This disk drive does not have a valid label. If you want to use
    >> this disk for the install, exit the Solaris Interactive
    >> Installation program, use the format(1M) command from the
    >> command line to label the disk, and type 'install-solaris' to
    >> restart the installation program.
    >>
    >> I exited the install program and tried to label the disk. The disk's
    >> partition is:
    >>
    >> partition> print
    >> Current partition table (unnamed):
    >> Total disk sectors available: 17672849 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
    >>
    >> Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
    >> 0 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    >> 1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    >> 2 backup wm 34 8.43GB 17679025
    >> 3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    >> 4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    >> 5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    >> 6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    >> 8 reserved wm 17672849 8.00MB 17689232
    >>
    >> and when I try to label the disk the error is:
    >>
    >> partition> label
    >> Ready to label disk, continue? yes
    >>
    >> label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions
    >> Partition 8 overlaps partition 2.
    >> Warning: error writing EFI.
    >> Label failed.
    >>

    >> My hardware is:
    >> Sun Enterprise 450 (2 X UltraSPARC-II 400MHz), No Keyboard
    >> OpenBoot 3.14, 1536 MB memory installed
    >>
    >> Can you explain me where is the error?
    >>
    >> Thank in advance.
    >>
    >> Arrigo.

  4. Re: Problem in Solaris 10 Installation - UPDATE

    I know that it must be 7, but I can't remove it. I don't know how it has
    been created...

    Arrigo

+ Reply to Thread