Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server - SUN

This is a discussion on Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server - SUN ; I have a Solaris Sun Fire V1280 server with Solaris 9 SPARC installed. The server has 12 processors @ 1200 MHz each, 24 GB RAM installed, and 2 68GB Hard Disks. I've been given the task to research and setup ...

  1. Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server

    I have a Solaris Sun Fire V1280 server with Solaris 9 SPARC installed.
    The server has 12 processors @ 1200 MHz each, 24 GB RAM installed, and
    2 68GB Hard Disks.

    I've been given the task to research and setup virtual servers on this
    machine.

    Can someone point me in the right direction to get started? A good
    website, a good book?
    Is Solaris 9 even sufficient for this or do I need to upgrade to
    Solaris 10?

    Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server

    MikeSmith813@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a Solaris Sun Fire V1280 server with Solaris 9 SPARC installed.
    > The server has 12 processors @ 1200 MHz each, 24 GB RAM installed, and
    > 2 68GB Hard Disks.
    >
    > I've been given the task to research and setup virtual servers on this
    > machine.
    >
    > Can someone point me in the right direction to get started? A good
    > website, a good book?
    > Is Solaris 9 even sufficient for this or do I need to upgrade to
    > Solaris 10?
    >
    > Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

    Hi,

    I think that "Zones" is only supported in Solaris 10. I thought I'd
    seen that there was a way to get zones to work in Solaris 9, but can't
    find the reference. In any event, the easiest way would be to go with
    Solaris 10, I think.

    Jim

  3. Re: Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server

    Thanks Jim. My question then becomes: If I upgrade to Solaris 10 can I
    setup zones where each zone emulates a different operating system. For
    example, can I have my server installed with Solaris 10 configured with
    3 zones, lets say. Can zone1 have Solaris8, zone2 have Solaris 9, and
    zone3 run Solaris 10?

  4. Re: Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server

    wrote:
    > Thanks Jim. My question then becomes: If I upgrade to Solaris 10 can I
    > setup zones where each zone emulates a different operating system. For
    > example, can I have my server installed with Solaris 10 configured with
    > 3 zones, lets say. Can zone1 have Solaris8, zone2 have Solaris 9, and
    > zone3 run Solaris 10?

    Hi,

    Zones aka containers are only supported with Solaris 10.

    In a very basic way here is how the whole thing is installed:

    1. You install Solaris 10
    2. Zones are created without installing any further OS
    3. Applications are installed within a zone

    For more info on zones look here:
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/utilization.jsp

    If you need multiple versions of Solaris on a server you need system with
    multiple domains as the E4900, E6900 or the E2xk.

    HTH,

    Axel Neumann

+ Reply to Thread