mount of /usr failed - but /usr is in main filesystem!!! - SUN

This is a discussion on mount of /usr failed - but /usr is in main filesystem!!! - SUN ; Hi all, I am working on an old IPX, just for fun and to learn some basics about sunOS. the verision installed is 5.5.1 and the main problem is this one: When I boot the machine, this error appears: Boot ...

  1. mount of /usr failed - but /usr is in main filesystem!!!

    Hi all,
    I am working on an old IPX, just for fun and to learn some basics about
    sunOS.
    the verision installed is 5.5.1 and the main problem is this one:
    When I boot the machine, this error appears:

    Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 File and args:
    Using default machine type Sun4c/60
    SunOS Release 5.5.1 Version Generic_103640-12 [UNIX(R) System V Release
    4.0]
    Copyright (c) 1983-1996, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    Invalid format code in IDprom.
    configuring network interfaces:ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: le0: Cannot
    assign request
    ed address
    le0.
    le0: auto-revarp failed: no RARP replies received

    Hostname: ghiro

    ARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the
    mount of /usr failed
    or the /
    usr filesystem is badly
    damaged. The system is being halted. Either
    reinstall

    th
    e system or boot with the -b option in an attempt
    to recover.

    syncing
    file systems
    .... done
    Program terminated
    Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)

    Now I don't care very much about the problem about le0, but I can't
    understand why the Os wants to mount /usr. /usr does not exist as a
    separated partition, it's a normal directory in the main filesystem.
    /etc/vfstab is configured accordingly.

    Anyone can tell me where can I look for any suggestion?

    Is there a way to know the disk partition table from the openboot 2.x
    env?

    Thanks in advance,

    Lele

  2. Re: mount of /usr failed - but /usr is in main filesystem!!!

    EKP wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am working on an old IPX, just for fun and to learn some basics about
    > sunOS.
    > the verision installed is 5.5.1 and the main problem is this one:
    > When I boot the machine, this error appears:
    > Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 File and args:
    > Using default machine type Sun4c/60
    > SunOS Release 5.5.1 Version Generic_103640-12 [UNIX(R) System V Release
    > 4.0
    > Copyright (c) 1983-1996, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

    > Invalid format code in IDprom.

    I think you need to fix this first. Most likely the PROMs battery is
    dead
    and your hostid is all zeros or some such. You can reprogram the PROM
    at the ok prompt to a valid number in forth, then you may be able to
    boot.
    forth programming hints are at :
    http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun...ostid.faq.html

    > Hostname: ghiro