NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client - SUN

This is a discussion on NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client - SUN ; Hello, I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but there was no solution. I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01) following this howto everything seems to be ok ...

  1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

    Hello,

    I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
    there was no solution.

    I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
    following this howto
    everything seems to be ok

    my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

    >ypwhich

    inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

    > ypcat passwd

    cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

    but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

    i can only log with root

    loggued with root in can do :
    su - cao8
    and it works fine

    so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

    (sorry for my english, i'm french)

  2. Re: NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

    > I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)

    If possible, configure it the other way around. As NIS(YP) is a Sun
    Solaris product, use that machine as the ypserver.

    Probably the problem is that the password hashing algorithms are not
    the same...
    When U su as root, it ignores the password check.

    > (sorry for my english, i'm french)

    No problem, I'm from Sweden...(bork,bork,bork ;-))

  3. Re: NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

    you were right.

    the encrypted password differ between linux and sun ( probably due to
    MD5 )

    for exemple :
    /etc/shadow from linux machine
    cao8:$1$JL6Xpfw2$exxxxqctRbUkdfFSycuu/:13214:0:99999:7:::

    /etc/shadow from sun (for the same password)
    cao8:qSylShhxxxxv6:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

    so here's the solve

    i made a /etc/shadow-nis with the encrypted password (by sun)
    cao8:qSylShhxxxxv6:::::::

    and a /etc/passwd-nis to avoid mess with local linux user

    i modified the /var/yp/Makefile with the following

    MERGE_PASSWD=true
    [...]
    PASSWD = $(YPPWDDIR)/passwd-nis
    SHADOW = $(YPPWDDIR)/shadow-nis

    and everything went fine !!
    (well after also a modification for auto.master (linux) / auto_master
    (sun) )

    thanks a lot !

  4. Re: NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

    froggay@gmail.com wrote:
    > you were right.
    >
    > the encrypted password differ between linux and sun ( probably due to
    > MD5 )

    Solaris 10 support md5... I would think it would work there.

    But yes.. for potable NIS you need to use DES passwords.

  5. Re: NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:56:24 -0800, froggay wrote:

    > you were right.
    >
    > the encrypted password differ between linux and sun ( probably due to
    > MD5 )
    >
    > for exemple :
    > /etc/shadow from linux machine
    > cao8:$1$JL6Xpfw2$exxxxqctRbUkdfFSycuu/:13214:0:99999:7:::
    >
    > /etc/shadow from sun (for the same password)
    > cao8:qSylShhxxxxv6:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh
    >
    > so here's the solve
    >
    > i made a /etc/shadow-nis with the encrypted password (by sun)
    > cao8:qSylShhxxxxv6:::::::
    >
    > and a /etc/passwd-nis to avoid mess with local linux user
    >
    > i modified the /var/yp/Makefile with the following
    >
    > MERGE_PASSWD=true
    > [...]
    > PASSWD = $(YPPWDDIR)/passwd-nis
    > SHADOW = $(YPPWDDIR)/shadow-nis
    >
    > and everything went fine !!
    > (well after also a modification for auto.master (linux) / auto_master
    > (sun) )

    Will this work the next time a user from the Sun host tries to update
    his password via NIS? I think he won't be able to update his password.

    - Scott

+ Reply to Thread