Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator - SUN

This is a discussion on Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator - SUN ; Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator A client that I have been consulting with is looking for a Unix Administrator to deliver on-site support to a critical client in the Boston area. This is the job description as posted: As a ...

  1. Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    A client that I have been consulting with is looking for a Unix
    Administrator to deliver on-site support to a critical client in the
    Boston area.

    This is the job description as posted:

    As a Senior Consultant, you work side-by-side with the customer to
    maintain and expand their computing and network infrastructure. You
    should have experience and/or familiarity with a fast pace environment
    with proven results. Experience and/or desire to work in a research and
    development organization is imperative. You must be team oriented, have
    strong communication skills, and must be able to work independently and
    further the goals of the organization without immediate direction. It
    is also important to be comfortable dealing with fairly technical
    end-users.

    Responsibilities include:
    Installation, configuration, and maintenance of infrastructure
    servers
    Evaluation of High-Performance Computing (HPC) Linux clustering
    technologies and products, which may include Sun Grid Engine and Condor
    Linux cluster performance tuning, maintenance, and monitoring (Big
    Brother, Nagios, Ganglia)
    Cluster file service performance tuning, which may include IBRIX
    Fusion, HP Scalable File Share (HP SFS), NFS, and Samba
    Implementation of automated installation methods for clustered
    systems (Kickstart, NPACI ROCKS)
    Network and data storage management and planning
    General-purpose systems administration including shell scripting,
    software installation (packages and building from source), backup and
    recovery, documentation, etc.
    Management of directory services and source code repositories (CVS,
    Subversion)
    Installation and configuration of workstations including dual-boot
    systems

    Experience with most of the following technologies:
    5+ years in a sysadmin role, supporting multiple operating systems
    and hardware platforms
    Expertise in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    Sun Solaris
    Familiarity with open source tools, both using common software and
    building from source
    NFS and Samba file services
    Directory administration (NIS and BIND)
    CVS and Subversion
    Apache HTTP Server
    Hardware and software RAID, LVM
    Printing services using CUPS

    Experience with the following technologies would be a plus:
    Network Appliance Filers
    Mac OS X desktop and server
    Linux clustering
    Active Directory authentication
    Other Linux distributions (SUSE, Debian)

  2. Re: Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    "North" writes:

    > You [ ... ] must be able to work independently and
    > further the goals of the organization without immediate direction.

    What is this supposed to mean?

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  3. Re: Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

    > "North" writes:
    >

    >> You [ ... ] must be able to work independently and
    >>further the goals of the organization without immediate direction.

    > What is this supposed to mean?

    Well, it's dangerous to guess what someone else means but my guess would
    be that they are looking for someone who works well with very little
    supervision. You are supposed to see what the problems are and solve them.

    Be sure to charge them extra for this service.

  4. Re: Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:55:04 -0500
    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

    > "North" writes:
    >
    > > You [ ... ] must be able to work independently and
    > > further the goals of the organization without immediate direction.

    > What is this supposed to mean?

    The organisation has no immediate direction (all too common :-) and
    you're supposed to divine where they're going and take the blame
    when you got it wrong :-)

    --
    Stefaan
    --

  5. Re: Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:06:41 +0100,
    Stefaan A Eeckels , in
    <20060309090641.dddc713b.hoendech@ecc.lu> wrote:

    >+ The organisation has no immediate direction (all too common :-) and
    >+ you're supposed to divine where they're going and take the blame
    >+ when you got it wrong :-)

    I thought "taking the blame" was what Marketing was for? am I wrong?

    isn't looking good, either.