solaris 10 install on ultra sparc - SUN

This is a discussion on solaris 10 install on ultra sparc - SUN ; Hi i am trying to install solaris 10 on ULTRA 10 which currently have solaris 8 installes .. i burned sol 10 cds iso image and tried to boot from the first disk but its always giving me error can ...

  1. solaris 10 install on ultra sparc

    Hi
    i am trying to install solaris 10 on ULTRA 10 which currently have
    solaris 8 installes
    .. i burned sol 10 cds iso image and tried to boot from the first disk
    but its
    always giving me error
    can not read the label
    can not open the cd
    while i tried to boot from my old sol 10 disk it boots fine.
    i want to know that since i already have solaris 8 installed on
    machine.
    do i need to format the disk before i tired to boot from the solaris 10
    cd?
    your help will be appreciated

  2. Re: solaris 10 install on ultra sparc

    kkd wrote:
    > Hi
    > i am trying to install solaris 10 on ULTRA 10 which currently have
    > solaris 8 installes
    > . i burned sol 10 cds iso image and tried to boot from the first disk
    > but its
    > always giving me error
    > can not read the label
    > can not open the cd
    > while i tried to boot from my old sol 10 disk it boots fine.
    > i want to know that since i already have solaris 8 installed on
    > machine.
    > do i need to format the disk before i tired to boot from the solaris 10
    > cd?
    > your help will be appreciated

    Booting from self-burned CD's can be tricky. In my experience, it helps
    to burn the CD's at a lower speed. YMMV.

    --
    Best regards,
    Jeroen Besse

  3. Re: solaris 10 install on ultra sparc

    kkd wrote:
    > Hi
    > i am trying to install solaris 10 on ULTRA 10 which currently have
    > solaris 8 installes
    > . i burned sol 10 cds iso image and tried to boot from the first disk
    > but its
    > always giving me error
    > can not read the label
    > can not open the cd
    > while i tried to boot from my old sol 10 disk it boots fine.
    > i want to know that since i already have solaris 8 installed on
    > machine.
    > do i need to format the disk before i tired to boot from the solaris 10
    > cd?
    > your help will be appreciated

    How are you burning the CDs?

    I've used Adaptec CD-creator on a PC, as well as some HP product on a
    PC, and cdrecord on a Sun. I know someone else who has used NERO on a PC.

    Are you burning ISO images?

    You are not trying to write the image to the CD as a file are you? That
    will never work.

    --
    Dave K

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

  4. Re: solaris 10 install on ultra sparc

    kkd wrote:
    > Hi
    > i am trying to install solaris 10 on ULTRA 10 which currently have
    > solaris 8 installes
    > . i burned sol 10 cds iso image and tried to boot from the first disk
    > but its
    > always giving me error
    > can not read the label
    > can not open the cd
    > while i tried to boot from my old sol 10 disk it boots fine.
    > i want to know that since i already have solaris 8 installed on
    > machine.
    > do i need to format the disk before i tired to boot from the solaris 10
    > cd?
    > your help will be appreciated

    I have had similar problems and here are the tricks I have found to make
    things work

    1. Pick a good media. I tested a whole bunch and have found that sony
    cd's seem to work the best, however your mileage may vary. Of course I
    guess it helps that my cd/dvd burner is a Sony drive 8^)

    2. Burn the disk as slow as your software will allow My software only
    allows me to burn at 8 speed minimum.

    3. Use buring software that supports rockridge extensions and choose
    this option when burning data cd's this will provide Solaris with the
    ability to read long filenames. I also alway disable the joiliet
    extensions when I am burning if at all posible. This may not work with
    your particular brand of buring software.

    4. I have had the most consistent results when buring on pc platforms to
    be read by *nix systems using Ultra ISO software with sony cd disks
    burned at 8x.

    I also broke down and replaced my original sun scsi cdrom on my E250
    server with a teac DVD Rom I just finished a reinstall as I "broke" my
    machine using the dvd sparc iso image burned onto generic dvd-r and it
    just worked. It also burned it at 8X

    Now experimenting with cd burning on the E250 as I also dropped in a
    CDRW drive and a scsi zip onto the box. Lots of fun

    I just bought a ultra5 and am looking forward to installing solaris 10
    on it next week.

    Hope this helps

    Tom

  5. Re: solaris 10 install on ultra sparc

    I think that your download of the iso-image may have been corrupted.
    Have a dump of the first 1kB of the image to see if it looks OK or just
    rubbish....
    Use emacs, head, od or whatever..

+ Reply to Thread