tar problems - SUN

This is a discussion on tar problems - SUN ; Have a couple Sun E4500 systems/Solaris 8 with dual-1TB raids and Sony AIT tape drives. I need to move a directory with 76K+ files (roughly 26GB) from one system to the other. I first tried /usr/sbin/tar to create a tape ...

  1. tar problems

    Have a couple Sun E4500 systems/Solaris 8 with dual-1TB raids and Sony
    AIT tape drives.

    I need to move a directory with 76K+ files (roughly 26GB) from one
    system to the other.

    I first tried /usr/sbin/tar to create a tape to move to the other
    system. I created the tar file just fine and can do a 'tar tvf' command
    to see what is on the tape ok as well. However when I try to extract
    the files on the target system it will only extract about 2.6GB and
    then it dies.

    The target system raid has over 500GB available and inode usage count
    is only single-digit. So putting the additional 26GB is not a problem
    space wise.

    The error message I am getting tar just says "tape read error"

    I have tried the tape on a couple other systems and get the same
    results. I even tried a different tape and excluded more files I
    thought might be bad - same results.

    Unfortunately, the systems are on different networks so I can't just
    connect the two for the transfer.

    tar issue???

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: tar problems

    Mike wrote:
    > Have a couple Sun E4500 systems/Solaris 8 with dual-1TB raids and Sony
    > AIT tape drives.
    >
    > I need to move a directory with 76K+ files (roughly 26GB) from one
    > system to the other.
    >
    > I first tried /usr/sbin/tar to create a tape to move to the other
    > system. I created the tar file just fine and can do a 'tar tvf' command
    > to see what is on the tape ok as well. However when I try to extract
    > the files on the target system it will only extract about 2.6GB and
    > then it dies.

    Can you extract the data on the same system to where you copied it from?

    Are you using different AIT drives, or are you using the same drive and
    moving the drive too, or just the tape?

    It could be the tape drive is bad, so it not writing the data to tape
    properly. It might be able to read tapes it has written, but other
    drives are unable to.

    Tar should be ok - it is largefile aware. There are well known issues
    with device files, but I doubt that is your problem.

    --
    Dave K

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

  3. Re: tar problems

    might be a tar-issue. As this kind of things are time-consuming, I would
    try gnu-tar to restore, just to see what happens - it can't get worse
    The next step might be to use gnu-tar to dump the files to tape.
    Or even better - although a bit more obscure - use 'ufsdump'

    On
    Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:34:18 -0800, Mike wrote:

    > Have a couple Sun E4500 systems/Solaris 8 with dual-1TB raids and Sony
    > AIT tape drives.
    >
    > I need to move a directory with 76K+ files (roughly 26GB) from one
    > system to the other.
    >
    > I first tried /usr/sbin/tar to create a tape to move to the other
    > system. I created the tar file just fine and can do a 'tar tvf' command
    > to see what is on the tape ok as well. However when I try to extract
    > the files on the target system it will only extract about 2.6GB and
    > then it dies.
    >
    > The target system raid has over 500GB available and inode usage count
    > is only single-digit. So putting the additional 26GB is not a problem
    > space wise.
    >
    > The error message I am getting tar just says "tape read error"
    >
    > I have tried the tape on a couple other systems and get the same
    > results. I even tried a different tape and excluded more files I
    > thought might be bad - same results.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the systems are on different networks so I can't just
    > connect the two for the transfer.
    >

    > tar issue???
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Mike

  4. Re: tar problems

    Danick Veenstra wrote:
    > might be a tar-issue. As this kind of things are time-consuming, I would
    > try gnu-tar to restore, just to see what happens - it can't get worse
    > The next step might be to use gnu-tar to dump the files to tape.
    > Or even better - although a bit more obscure - use 'ufsdump'
    >
    > On
    > Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:34:18 -0800, Mike wrote:
    >
    >> Have a couple Sun E4500 systems/Solaris 8 with dual-1TB raids and Sony
    >> AIT tape drives.
    >>
    >> I need to move a directory with 76K+ files (roughly 26GB) from one
    >> system to the other.
    >>
    >> I first tried /usr/sbin/tar to create a tape to move to the other
    >> system. I created the tar file just fine and can do a 'tar tvf' command
    >> to see what is on the tape ok as well. However when I try to extract
    >> the files on the target system it will only extract about 2.6GB and
    >> then it dies.
    >>
    >> The target system raid has over 500GB available and inode usage count
    >> is only single-digit. So putting the additional 26GB is not a problem
    >> space wise.
    >>
    >> The error message I am getting tar just says "tape read error"
    >>
    >> I have tried the tape on a couple other systems and get the same
    >> results. I even tried a different tape and excluded more files I
    >> thought might be bad - same results.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, the systems are on different networks so I can't just
    >> connect the two for the transfer.
    >>

    >> tar issue???
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >> Mike

    You could try nfs mounting the target volume onto the source machine and
    then do:
    ufsdump 0f - /dir/to/copy \ | (cd /nfs/mount ; ufsrestore xf -)

    This way you won't need to use any tape. Time will depend the network
    between the boxes.

    If you can't nfs mount he file system then just do a ufsdump:
    On the source box do:
    ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0c /dir/to/copy
    mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewoffl

    On the destination box: