root password - SUN

This is a discussion on root password - SUN ; We have totally forgotten the root password for Solaris 5 machine (SARCstation 5). If I run boot in single user mode (run 'boot -s' from "OK" boot prompt) I am prompted for root password again. The ideas to boot from ...

  1. root password

    We have totally forgotten the root password for Solaris 5 machine
    (SARCstation 5). If I run boot in single user mode (run 'boot -s' from
    "OK" boot prompt) I am prompted for root password again. The ideas to
    boot from CD or network does not resolve my problem so that we have not
    SCSI CD or network boot image. Have you got any ideas hoe to reset the
    root password? Does 'boot' command has another options that can help
    me?

    --Vadim

  2. Re: root password

    In article <1140684905.388650.273280@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "Vadim Dvorkin" wrote:

    > We have totally forgotten the root password for Solaris 5 machine
    > (SARCstation 5). If I run boot in single user mode (run 'boot -s' from
    > "OK" boot prompt) I am prompted for root password again. The ideas to
    > boot from CD or network does not resolve my problem so that we have not
    > SCSI CD or network boot image. Have you got any ideas hoe to reset the
    > root password? Does 'boot' command has another options that can help
    > me?
    >
    > --Vadim

    If you don't have a Solaris boot CD you can use to break in, you can set
    up jumpstart or extract the disk and plug it into another Sparc5 where
    you do know the root password. If you can't do any of these, you can
    reload the OS or just use it to test the local gravitation constant.

  3. Re: root password

    On 23 Feb 2006 00:55:05 -0800,
    Vadim Dvorkin , in
    <1140684905.388650.273280@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> wrote:
    >+ We have totally forgotten the root password for Solaris 5 machine
    >+ (SARCstation 5). If I run boot in single user mode (run 'boot -s' from
    >+ "OK" boot prompt) I am prompted for root password again. The ideas to
    >+ boot from CD or network does not resolve my problem so that we have not
    >+ SCSI CD or network boot image. Have you got any ideas hoe to reset the
    >+ root password? Does 'boot' command has another options that can help
    >+ me?

    Are you running NIS for other account authentication? if so, you can
    put a new account in the NIS map with user id of 0, group 1. Propagate
    the new NIS map, then login with the new account. You should be able
    to 'passwd root' or just edit the /etc/shadow file and zap root's
    password.

    isn't looking good, either.