Solaris 10 oracle backup - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 oracle backup - SUN ; We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle database (don't know much about version, will need to check further). Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server backups to a Quantum ...

  1. Solaris 10 oracle backup

    We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    now until I upgrade Netbackup.

    thanks,

    Mike Dundas
    System Administrator
    The Asbury Park Press

  2. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    In article ,
    "Mike Dundas" wrote:

    > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Mike Dundas
    > System Administrator
    > The Asbury Park Press

    I know there's RMAN, the Oracle backup tool or you can "roll your own"
    by either shutting down the database cold, doing backups, and restarting
    or doing an incremental backup of the database tablespaces in "backup
    mode" along with the archive redo logs then restoring the tablespaces.

    Unless you've done Oracle backups before, you'd best involve the Oracle
    DBAs to help you.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    Mike Dundas wrote:

    > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Mike Dundas
    > System Administrator
    > The Asbury Park Press

    Can you shut down Oracle? When Oracle does a normal shutdown it
    flushes its buffers and closes its files. If you make a backup while
    Oracle is shut down, a "cold" backup", you will have a backup you can
    restore in the same manner; i.e. with the database shut down.

    If you can't shut down Oracle, ask your DBA to "export" the database.
    The DBA can "import" this if necessary.

  4. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    Mike Dundas wrote:
    > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Mike Dundas
    > System Administrator
    > The Asbury Park Press

    Read up on RMAN, and backup the RMAN produced files.
    Then, read some more on RMAN, no doubt Netbackup interfaces
    with it.
    If not - don't bother

    --
    Regards,
    Frank van Bortel

    Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

  5. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    Michael Vilain wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Mike Dundas" wrote:
    >
    > > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    > > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    > > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    > > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    > > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    > > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike Dundas
    > > System Administrator
    > > The Asbury Park Press

    > I know there's RMAN, the Oracle backup tool or you can "roll your own"
    > by either shutting down the database cold, doing backups, and restarting
    > or doing an incremental backup of the database tablespaces in "backup
    > mode" along with the archive redo logs then restoring the tablespaces.
    >
    > Unless you've done Oracle backups before, you'd best involve the Oracle
    > DBAs to help you.
    >
    > --
    > DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

    Unfortunately, there is no Oracle DBA. I may need to contact the
    vendor that supplied the servers for additional info. I am the DBA/Sys
    Admin/Sys Analyst/programmer/help desk!!

    I call upon google for many answers.

    Once Veritas is ugraded I will be using a oracle client, I assume there
    is one, I use one for our sybase and informix backups.

    Thanks for your help,

    Mike Dundas

  6. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    In article <1140651737.192022.166340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    "eeb4u_athotmail_com" wrote:

    > Michael Vilain wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > "Mike Dundas" wrote:
    > >
    > > > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an
    > > > Oracle
    > > > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > > > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > > > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > > > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > > > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the
    > > > two
    > > > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using
    > > > ufsdump
    > > > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db
    > > > dump.
    > > > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do
    > > > for
    > > > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Mike Dundas
    > > > System Administrator
    > > > The Asbury Park Press

    > > I know there's RMAN, the Oracle backup tool or you can "roll your own"
    > > by either shutting down the database cold, doing backups, and restarting
    > > or doing an incremental backup of the database tablespaces in "backup
    > > mode" along with the archive redo logs then restoring the tablespaces.
    > >
    > > Unless you've done Oracle backups before, you'd best involve the Oracle
    > > DBAs to help you.
    > >
    > > --
    > > DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...

    > Unfortunately, there is no Oracle DBA. I may need to contact the
    > vendor that supplied the servers for additional info. I am the DBA/Sys
    > Admin/Sys Analyst/programmer/help desk!!
    >
    > I call upon google for many answers.
    >
    > Once Veritas is ugraded I will be using a oracle client, I assume there
    > is one, I use one for our sybase and informix backups.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Mike Dundas

    There may be. RMAN is the only thing I've heard of but have no direct
    exposure to it. If you're unfamiliar with this area, HIRE A CONSULTANT
    to set it up. If backups aren't done right, you'll be screwed royally.
    Be sure you can restore a system once you've done backups. Also be sure
    you can restore onto 'bare metal' if you lost the system disk.

    Sounds like you need to get up to speed on this ASAP but unfortunately
    database backups are _not_ something you can just pick up. Unless you
    understand the implications of how a DBMS works (Oracle especially) your
    backups will be total CACA and worthless.

    You can start by doing cold backups by shutting down Oracle, doing the
    backups, then restarting. If you can't script that, again HIRE A
    CONSULTANT.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    Mike Dundas wrote:
    > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Mike Dundas
    > System Administrator
    > The Asbury Park Press

    I hate to add to the chorus but it seems reasonable: Use RMAN.

    I can't think of any reason for anyone to use anything else.
    --
    Daniel A. Morgan
    http://www.psoug.org

  8. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    DA Morgan wrote:
    > Mike Dundas wrote:
    > > We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
    > > database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
    > > Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
    > > backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
    > > 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
    > > plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
    > > servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
    > > to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
    > > Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
    > > now until I upgrade Netbackup.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike Dundas
    > > System Administrator
    > > The Asbury Park Press

    > I hate to add to the chorus but it seems reasonable: Use RMAN.
    >
    > I can't think of any reason for anyone to use anything else.
    > --
    > Daniel A. Morgan
    > http://www.psoug.org
    > damorgan@x.washington.edu
    > (replace x with u to respond)

    The vendor was notified and they are currently doing a backup (maybe a
    snapshot) to the filesystem. I am curently ufsdumping FS to DLT and
    will utilize veritas when the veritas upgrade has been completed.

    Thanks for the input.

    Mike D

  9. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    DO NOT depend on exports for backup. It may help to have them for
    redundancy and certain types of data restoration.

    DO find out what your recovery _requirements_ are. You can't have a
    good backup procedure without knowing what you need to do with the
    backups.

    This guy has some interesting insights:
    http://dizwell.com/main/content/view/32/49/

    Be sure your vendor doing the backup is either doing an RMAN backup, a
    hot backup, or a cold backup. Find out which. Some vendors have
    ignorant people. If you have disk space, it is reasonable to use RMAN
    to backup to disk, then copy those files to tape. If you have some
    sort of snapshot ability, it is reasonable to put all files into hot
    backup mode and snap them. RMAN has less of an impact than hot backups
    on an in-use database, unless you have a fast snapshot.

    The backup and recovery manuals are available at
    http://tahiti.oracle.com. Read and understand them if you have DBA in
    your title, official or not.

    The Oracle version _is_important. See
    http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

    jg
    --
    @home.com is bogus.
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25405.700.html

  10. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    joel-garry@home.com wrote:
    > DO NOT depend on exports for backup. It may help to have them for
    > redundancy and certain types of data restoration.
    >
    > DO find out what your recovery _requirements_ are. You can't have a
    > good backup procedure without knowing what you need to do with the
    > backups.
    >
    > This guy has some interesting insights:
    > http://dizwell.com/main/content/view/32/49/
    >
    > Be sure your vendor doing the backup is either doing an RMAN backup, a
    > hot backup, or a cold backup. Find out which. Some vendors have
    > ignorant people. If you have disk space, it is reasonable to use RMAN
    > to backup to disk, then copy those files to tape. If you have some
    > sort of snapshot ability, it is reasonable to put all files into hot
    > backup mode and snap them. RMAN has less of an impact than hot backups
    > on an in-use database, unless you have a fast snapshot.
    >
    > The backup and recovery manuals are available at
    > http://tahiti.oracle.com. Read and understand them if you have DBA in
    > your title, official or not.
    >
    > The Oracle version _is_important. See
    > http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm
    >
    > jg
    > --
    > @home.com is bogus.
    > http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25405.700.html

    There are no users on the system after midnight. We have about a 10
    hour window where there are no users on the system. The system is the
    new version of our newspaper classified pagination system running on
    sunfire240's. Right now, we are still using the old system as well as
    this version. It is comprised of a primary and replicated server,
    giving us some redundancy. The oracle slice is about 70 Gb and current
    utilization is 17%. I will check with vendor to find out which type of
    backup is being performed.

    thanks again,

    Mike D

  11. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    eeb4u_athotmail_com wrote:
    > joel-garry@home.com wrote:
    >
    >>DO NOT depend on exports for backup. It may help to have them for
    >>redundancy and certain types of data restoration.
    >>
    >>DO find out what your recovery _requirements_ are. You can't have a
    >>good backup procedure without knowing what you need to do with the
    >>backups.
    >>
    >>This guy has some interesting insights:
    >>http://dizwell.com/main/content/view/32/49/
    >>
    >>Be sure your vendor doing the backup is either doing an RMAN backup, a
    >>hot backup, or a cold backup. Find out which. Some vendors have
    >>ignorant people. If you have disk space, it is reasonable to use RMAN
    >>to backup to disk, then copy those files to tape. If you have some
    >>sort of snapshot ability, it is reasonable to put all files into hot
    >>backup mode and snap them. RMAN has less of an impact than hot backups
    >>on an in-use database, unless you have a fast snapshot.
    >>
    >>The backup and recovery manuals are available at
    >>http://tahiti.oracle.com. Read and understand them if you have DBA in
    >>your title, official or not.
    >>
    >>The Oracle version _is_important. See
    >>http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm
    >>
    >>jg
    >>--
    >>@home.com is bogus.
    >>http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25405.700.html

    > There are no users on the system after midnight. We have about a 10
    > hour window where there are no users on the system. The system is the
    > new version of our newspaper classified pagination system running on
    > sunfire240's. Right now, we are still using the old system as well as
    > this version. It is comprised of a primary and replicated server,
    > giving us some redundancy. The oracle slice is about 70 Gb and current
    > utilization is 17%. I will check with vendor to find out which type of
    > backup is being performed.
    >

    > thanks again,
    >
    > Mike D

    You may have all the time in the world in the middle of the night to
    backup but that is only half the issue. How much time do you have in
    the middle of the business day to restore if something goes terribly
    wrong?

    RMAN brings to the party huge advantages over all other backup
    technologies. Primary among them with 10g is on-line single block
    restoration.
    --
    Daniel A. Morgan
    http://www.psoug.org

  12. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    eeb4u_athotmail_com wrote:

    > The vendor was notified and they are currently doing a backup (maybe a
    > snapshot) to the filesystem. I am curently ufsdumping FS to DLT and
    > will utilize veritas when the veritas upgrade has been completed.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > Mike D

    If that is a snapshot, the backup may be useless (while made
    with files open). Make sure you cover that (test, or liability)

    --
    Regards,
    Frank van Bortel

    Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

  13. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    eeb4u_athotmail_com wrote:

    > There are no users on the system after midnight. We have about a 10
    > hour window where there are no users on the system. The system is the
    > new version of our newspaper classified pagination system running on
    > sunfire240's. Right now, we are still using the old system as well as
    > this version. It is comprised of a primary and replicated server,
    > giving us some redundancy. The oracle slice is about 70 Gb and current
    > utilization is 17%. I will check with vendor to find out which type of
    > backup is being performed.
    >

    > thanks again,
    >
    > Mike D

    Is your database replicated to the replicated server, and if so, by what
    means ? One possibibility is Oracle symmetric replication. Symmetric
    replication can be extremely high maintenance. Stay away from it if you are
    a one-person shop, as your messages seem to indicate.

  14. Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

    "Frank van Bortel" wrote in message
    > eeb4u_athotmail_com wrote:
    >
    >> The vendor was notified and they are currently doing a backup (maybe a
    >> snapshot) to the filesystem. I am curently ufsdumping FS to DLT and
    >> will utilize veritas when the veritas upgrade has been completed.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the input.
    >>
    >> Mike D
    >>

    > If that is a snapshot, the backup may be useless (while made
    > with files open). Make sure you cover that (test, or liability)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Frank van Bortel
    >
    > Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

    So many questions, I will have to take this to the vendor.

    Thanks,

    Mike Dundas

+ Reply to Thread