help with a mount problem - SUN

This is a discussion on help with a mount problem - SUN ; Hi All I need some help configuring my E250 with a different mount point for the /opt I have added a new 36gb disk (c0t10d0) and partitioned and formatted it successfully using format and newfs. I then temporarily mounted it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: help with a mount problem

  1. help with a mount problem

    Hi All

    I need some help configuring my E250 with a different mount point for
    the /opt I have added a new 36gb disk (c0t10d0) and partitioned and
    formatted it successfully using format and newfs. I then temporarily
    mounted it to ensure all was well. no problems.

    I want to move the /opt from it current default point on the boot disk
    (c0t0d0sx) to the c0t10d0s0 slice.

    I have looked in the vfstab but don't see the /opt listed and I am sure
    it is not as easy as simply adding the /opt to the vfstab. Perhaps
    someone can point me in the right direction? This is my first foray back
    into the unix world in a number of years and yes it is all different!

    My current config is


    Sun e250 with 400mhz proc x2, 1.25 gb ram, 3 - 9gb of which the first
    one (c0t0d0sx) holds the root slice etc from a default install of
    solaris 10. The second 9gb drive (c0t8d0sx) one is mounted to
    /home/home0, the third one (c0t9d0sx) is unassigned although I was
    thinking of using it for /var although I understand this can be somewhat
    problematic.

    The 4th drive (c0t10d0s0) is 36gb which is the one I would like to use
    to hold /opt. Primarily I want to run MySQL off of it for some DB
    development.

    I am not running the solstice on the box as I was trying to keep things
    simple to begin with.

    Really I am looking for a step by step in order to accomplish this with
    a minimum of fuss. Eventually I will have to look at solstice .


    Thanks for any help

    sigh a much humbled pc whiz

    Tom

  2. Re: help with a mount problem

    Tom King wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I need some help configuring my E250 with a different mount point for
    > the /opt I have added a new 36gb disk (c0t10d0) and partitioned and
    > formatted it successfully using format and newfs. I then temporarily
    > mounted it to ensure all was well. no problems.
    >
    > I want to move the /opt from it current default point on the boot disk
    > (c0t0d0sx) to the c0t10d0s0 slice.
    >
    > I have looked in the vfstab but don't see the /opt listed and I am sure
    > it is not as easy as simply adding the /opt to the vfstab. Perhaps
    > someone can point me in the right direction? This is my first foray back
    > into the unix world in a number of years and yes it is all different!
    >
    > My current config is
    >
    >
    > Sun e250 with 400mhz proc x2, 1.25 gb ram, 3 - 9gb of which the first
    > one (c0t0d0sx) holds the root slice etc from a default install of
    > solaris 10. The second 9gb drive (c0t8d0sx) one is mounted to
    > /home/home0, the third one (c0t9d0sx) is unassigned although I was
    > thinking of using it for /var although I understand this can be somewhat
    > problematic.
    >
    > The 4th drive (c0t10d0s0) is 36gb which is the one I would like to use
    > to hold /opt. Primarily I want to run MySQL off of it for some DB
    > development.
    >
    > I am not running the solstice on the box as I was trying to keep things
    > simple to begin with.
    >
    > Really I am looking for a step by step in order to accomplish this with
    > a minimum of fuss. Eventually I will have to look at solstice .
    >
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > sigh a much humbled pc whiz
    >
    > Tom


    My guess would be that /opt is currently part of /. If this is the case:
    Create a new home for /opt. Format the disk if needed. Create a file
    system with newfs. Copy the contents of /opt to its new home. Remove
    the original files (this step is optional unless you need space for
    something else). Make a new entry in /etc/vfstab for your new /opt.
    Mount /opt. I don't think I have left anything out.


    It's probably best to make a backup of everything before you start.

    backup n: What you should have done yesterday.

  3. Re: help with a mount problem

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Tom King wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I need some help configuring my E250 with a different mount point for
    >> the /opt I have added a new 36gb disk (c0t10d0) and partitioned and
    >> formatted it successfully using format and newfs. I then temporarily
    >> mounted it to ensure all was well. no problems.
    >>
    >> I want to move the /opt from it current default point on the boot disk
    >> (c0t0d0sx) to the c0t10d0s0 slice.
    >>
    >> I have looked in the vfstab but don't see the /opt listed and I am
    >> sure it is not as easy as simply adding the /opt to the vfstab.
    >> Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction? This is my first
    >> foray back into the unix world in a number of years and yes it is all
    >> different!
    >>
    >> My current config is
    >>
    >>
    >> Sun e250 with 400mhz proc x2, 1.25 gb ram, 3 - 9gb of which the first
    >> one (c0t0d0sx) holds the root slice etc from a default install of
    >> solaris 10. The second 9gb drive (c0t8d0sx) one is mounted to
    >> /home/home0, the third one (c0t9d0sx) is unassigned although I was
    >> thinking of using it for /var although I understand this can be
    >> somewhat problematic.
    >>
    >> The 4th drive (c0t10d0s0) is 36gb which is the one I would like to use
    >> to hold /opt. Primarily I want to run MySQL off of it for some DB
    >> development.
    >>
    >> I am not running the solstice on the box as I was trying to keep
    >> things simple to begin with.
    >>
    >> Really I am looking for a step by step in order to accomplish this
    >> with a minimum of fuss. Eventually I will have to look at solstice .
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >>
    >> sigh a much humbled pc whiz
    >>
    >> Tom

    >
    >
    > My guess would be that /opt is currently part of /. If this is the case:
    > Create a new home for /opt. Format the disk if needed. Create a file
    > system with newfs. Copy the contents of /opt to its new home. Remove
    > the original files (this step is optional unless you need space for
    > something else). Make a new entry in /etc/vfstab for your new /opt.
    > Mount /opt. I don't think I have left anything out.
    >
    >
    > It's probably best to make a backup of everything before you start.
    >
    > backup n: What you should have done yesterday.


    That is along the lines I was thinking however it seems to me that I
    would have to remove the original mount point to /opt that the solaris
    10 default install created. The problem is I cannot find a reference to
    /opt in the files I am familar with. Below is a copy of my /etc/vfstab

    #device device mount FS fsck mount mount
    #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options
    #
    fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    /proc - /proc proc - no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 - - swap - no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1 no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 /export/home ufs 2 yes -
    /dev/dsk/c0t8d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t8d0s7 /export/home0 ufs 2 yes -
    /devices - /devices devfs - no -
    ctfs - /system/contract ctfs - no -
    objfs - /system/object objfs - no -
    swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -

    I assume the new line would be

    /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt ufs 2 yes


    Where else might I look for the /opt mount information? Is the Solaris
    10 smart enough not to fatal error out if I just place the entry in the
    vfstab?

    Thanks a bunch for the help! I am having a ball with my new (used) E250 8^)


    Tom

  4. Re: help with a mount problem

    > I assume the new line would be
    >
    > /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt ufs 2 yes
    >
    >
    > Where else might I look for the /opt mount information? Is the Solaris
    > 10 smart enough not to fatal error out if I just place the entry in the
    > vfstab?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch for the help! I am having a ball with my new (used) E250 8^)


    You might want to add 'logging' as the last option on the data slices.

    /opt is just a directory on ur root slice at the moment so it doesn't
    appear in vfstab.

    And finally, Solaris is stupid and will attempt to boot a mangled
    vfstab, I know cos I just ruined mine so be careful. If you **** up
    like me just boot single from the cd and edit it.

    Ste


  5. Re: help with a mount problem

    Tom King wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> Tom King wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All
    >>>
    >>> I need some help configuring my E250 with a different mount point for
    >>> the /opt I have added a new 36gb disk (c0t10d0) and partitioned and
    >>> formatted it successfully using format and newfs. I then temporarily
    >>> mounted it to ensure all was well. no problems.
    >>>
    >>> I want to move the /opt from it current default point on the boot
    >>> disk (c0t0d0sx) to the c0t10d0s0 slice.
    >>>
    >>> I have looked in the vfstab but don't see the /opt listed and I am
    >>> sure it is not as easy as simply adding the /opt to the vfstab.
    >>> Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction? This is my first
    >>> foray back into the unix world in a number of years and yes it is all
    >>> different!
    >>>
    >>> My current config is
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Sun e250 with 400mhz proc x2, 1.25 gb ram, 3 - 9gb of which the first
    >>> one (c0t0d0sx) holds the root slice etc from a default install of
    >>> solaris 10. The second 9gb drive (c0t8d0sx) one is mounted to
    >>> /home/home0, the third one (c0t9d0sx) is unassigned although I was
    >>> thinking of using it for /var although I understand this can be
    >>> somewhat problematic.
    >>>
    >>> The 4th drive (c0t10d0s0) is 36gb which is the one I would like to
    >>> use to hold /opt. Primarily I want to run MySQL off of it for some DB
    >>> development.
    >>>
    >>> I am not running the solstice on the box as I was trying to keep
    >>> things simple to begin with.
    >>>
    >>> Really I am looking for a step by step in order to accomplish this
    >>> with a minimum of fuss. Eventually I will have to look at solstice .
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help
    >>>
    >>> sigh a much humbled pc whiz
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> My guess would be that /opt is currently part of /. If this is the case:
    >> Create a new home for /opt. Format the disk if needed. Create a file
    >> system with newfs. Copy the contents of /opt to its new home.
    >> Remove the original files (this step is optional unless you need space
    >> for something else). Make a new entry in /etc/vfstab for your new /opt.
    >> Mount /opt. I don't think I have left anything out.
    >>
    >>
    >> It's probably best to make a backup of everything before you start.
    >>
    >> backup n: What you should have done yesterday.

    >
    >
    > That is along the lines I was thinking however it seems to me that I
    > would have to remove the original mount point to /opt that the solaris
    > 10 default install created. The problem is I cannot find a reference to
    > /opt in the files I am familar with. Below is a copy of my /etc/vfstab
    >
    > #device device mount FS fsck mount mount
    > #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options
    > #
    > fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    > /proc - /proc proc - no -
    > /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 - - swap - no -
    > /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1 no -


    It's part of / on /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0. You don't have to do anything to
    the old mount point! You do have to remove the old files if you want
    to recover the disk space.

    > /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 /export/home ufs 2
    > yes -
    > /dev/dsk/c0t8d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t8d0s7 /export/home0 ufs 2
    > yes -
    > /devices - /devices devfs - no -
    > ctfs - /system/contract ctfs - no -
    > objfs - /system/object objfs - no -
    > swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -
    >
    > I assume the new line would be
    >
    > /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt ufs 2 yes
    >


    Only if you have a disk at target 10 on controller 0 AND that's where
    you created your new file system AND where you put the files from the
    existing /opt.



  6. Re: help with a mount problem


    Tom King wrote:
    > I want to move the /opt from it current default point on the boot disk
    > (c0t0d0sx) to the c0t10d0s0 slice.
    > I have looked in the vfstab but don't see the /opt listed and I am sure
    > it is not as easy as simply adding the /opt to the vfstab.


    Almost. You should create a mount point.
    Use "mv" on /opt. i.e. give it another name.
    Example: mv /opt /opt.old
    mkdir /opt and chown the new /opt to have the same owner:group,
    (root:sys) Then: chmod 755 /opt.
    mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt
    You'll have to copy /opt.old contents to /opt... Something like
    cd /opt.old; tar cpf - . | (cd ../opt; tar xpf -) will do it
    Add to /etc/vfstab some place after /:
    /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt ufs 2
    yes -
    Not a bad idea to do this in single user mode : init S
    Once you are at run level 3 again and all is well you can rm -r opt.old

    > My current config is
    > solaris 10. The second 9gb drive (c0t8d0sx) one is mounted to
    > /home/home0, the third one (c0t9d0sx) is unassigned although I was
    > thinking of using it for /var although I understand this can be somewhat
    > problematic.


    Not in single user mode..

    > I am not running the solstice on the box as I was trying to keep things
    > simple to begin with.


    Solstice? DNE on Solaris 10. Look to "smc"


  7. Re: help with a mount problem

    gerryt@ wrote:

    > Almost. You should create a mount point.
    > Use "mv" on /opt. i.e. give it another name.
    > Example: mv /opt /opt.old
    > mkdir /opt and chown the new /opt to have the same owner:group,
    > (root:sys) Then: chmod 755 /opt.
    > mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt
    > You'll have to copy /opt.old contents to /opt... Something like
    > cd /opt.old; tar cpf - . | (cd ../opt; tar xpf -) will do it
    > Add to /etc/vfstab some place after /:
    > /dev/dsk/c0t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0s0 /opt ufs 2
    > yes -
    > Not a bad idea to do this in single user mode : init S
    > Once you are at run level 3 again and all is well you can rm -r opt.old


    Wonderful works like a charm and thanks!



    >
    > Solstice? DNE on Solaris 10. Look to "smc"
    >


    true old solaris ref manual just got version 10 much different

    thanks

    tom

  8. Re: help with a mount problem

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >>> My guess would be that /opt is currently part of /. If this is the
    >>> case:


    Yes it was it was staring me in the face too many late nights and too
    much coffee. Sigh simply directory sigh.


    > Only if you have a disk at target 10 on controller 0 AND that's where
    > you created your new file system AND where you put the files from the
    > existing /opt.


    yes to all that works now thanks for the pointers

    Tom

  9. Re: help with a mount problem

    Tom King wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > >>> My guess would be that /opt is currently part of /. If this is the
    > >>> case:

    >
    > Yes it was it was staring me in the face too many late nights and too
    > much coffee. Sigh simply directory sigh.
    >
    >
    > > Only if you have a disk at target 10 on controller 0 AND that's where
    > > you created your new file system AND where you put the files from the
    > > existing /opt.

    >
    > yes to all that works now thanks for the pointers
    >
    > Tom


    Tom; been there, done that. For future reference, one useful way of
    determining what file system /opt (or whatever future directory you
    wish) is part of would be to do a df -k on /opt. For instance, I have
    the same setup on one of our servers; /opt is simply a directory under
    root. so a df -k on /opt shows:

    # df -k /opt
    Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 4131866 2203902 1886646 54% /

    As you can see, the file system is shown at the left, and the directory
    it is mountes on is on the right. This tells you that the /opt
    directory is not on a file system of its own, but is simply a
    sub-directory of /.

    Not sure I worded all the above correctly, but hopefully, you get the
    gist.

    One other area that the above can come in handy is for when you get a
    message /opt (or whatever) is full. Checking out the df -k to verify,
    can lead you to look in / (for core files, mis-placed temp files,
    anythin that shouldn't be there and is taking up space), instead of
    simply looking in /opt to free up space.

    Hope this was useful...

    Joe D.


  10. Re: help with a mount problem

    Joe D. wrote:

    > Tom; been there, done that. For future reference, one useful way of
    > determining what file system /opt (or whatever future directory you
    > wish) is part of would be to do a df -k on /opt. For instance, I have
    > the same setup on one of our servers; /opt is simply a directory under
    > root. so a df -k on /opt shows:
    >
    > # df -k /opt
    > Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
    > /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 4131866 2203902 1886646 54% /


    This really works well! thanks! I have printed this message out and
    placed it in my tricks and tips binder 8^)


    > One other area that the above can come in handy is for when you get a
    > message /opt (or whatever) is full. Checking out the df -k to verify,
    > can lead you to look in / (for core files, mis-placed temp files,
    > anythin that shouldn't be there and is taking up space), instead of
    > simply looking in /opt to free up space.
    >
    > Hope this was useful...
    >
    > Joe D.
    >

    Clear as a bell. This has been a rude reawakening switching back to unix
    from the wintel world. Luckingly there are resources like this to help
    with the culture shock. Now if I can only get used to the SUN 5
    keyboard.... being a hunt and peck typist has it's problems

    best regards

    tom

+ Reply to Thread