Ultra 5 Won't Boot - SUN

This is a discussion on Ultra 5 Won't Boot - SUN ; I've been having a lot of trouble getting my (old) Ultra 5 to boot. I've connected a terminal emulator to serial port a on my Sun and run the Power On Self Test (POST) several times and it never fails, ...

  1. Ultra 5 Won't Boot

    I've been having a lot of trouble getting my (old) Ultra 5 to boot.

    I've connected a terminal emulator to serial port a on my Sun and run
    the Power On Self Test (POST) several times and it never fails, even
    with dial-level max.

    The trouble seems to happen after the reset or power-on

    Clearing I/D TLBs Done
    Probing Memory Done
    MEM BASE = 0000.0000.1000.0000
    MEM SIZE = 0000.0000.1000.0000
    11-Column Mode Enabled
    MMUs ON
    Copy Done
    PC = 0000.01ff.f000.201c
    PC = 0000.0000.0000.2060
    Decompressing into Memory Done
    Size = 0000.0000.0006.e770
    ttya initialized
    Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SXIR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
    UltraSPARC-IIi 2-2 module
    Probing Memory Bank #0 0 + 0 : 0 Megabytes
    Probing Memory Bank #2 128 + 128 : 256 Megabytes
    Probing UPA Slot at 1e,0 Nothing There
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 1 pci108e,1000 network
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 2 SUNW,m64B
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 3 ide disk cdrom
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Nothing there
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 2 pci
    Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@2 at Device 0 Data Access Error

    whenever I do a reset I get
    Data Access Error

    If I try to boot I get
    ok boot disk
    Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0 File and args:
    Memory Address not Aligned
    ok boot disk
    Fast Data Access MMU Miss

    At this point whenever I try to boot from disk I get Fast Data Access
    MMU Miss, until I reset and start all over again.

    Does this indicate a problem with the disk? The disk isn't that old, and
    when my Ultra 5 does boot the OS seems to run fine.

    -- Eric

  2. Re: Ultra 5 Won't Boot

    According to Eric Kolotyluk :
    > I've been having a lot of trouble getting my (old) Ultra 5 to boot.
    >
    > I've connected a terminal emulator to serial port a on my Sun and run
    > the Power On Self Test (POST) several times and it never fails, even
    > with dial-level max.
    >
    > The trouble seems to happen after the reset or power-on
    >
    > Clearing I/D TLBs Done
    > Probing Memory Done
    > MEM BASE = 0000.0000.1000.0000
    > MEM SIZE = 0000.0000.1000.0000
    > 11-Column Mode Enabled
    > MMUs ON
    > Copy Done
    > PC = 0000.01ff.f000.201c
    > PC = 0000.0000.0000.2060
    > Decompressing into Memory Done
    > Size = 0000.0000.0006.e770
    > ttya initialized
    > Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SXIR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
    > UltraSPARC-IIi 2-2 module
    > Probing Memory Bank #0 0 + 0 : 0 Megabytes
    > Probing Memory Bank #2 128 + 128 : 256 Megabytes

    Hmm ... nothing in bank 0, and two simms in bank 2? What if you
    move them to the other sockets? The system may be expecting SIMMs in
    bank 0.

    > Probing UPA Slot at 1e,0 Nothing There
    > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 1 pci108e,1000 network
    > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 2 SUNW,m64B
    > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 3 ide disk cdrom
    > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Nothing there
    > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 2 pci
    > Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@2 at Device 0 Data Access Error
    >
    > whenever I do a reset I get
    > Data Access Error
    >
    > If I try to boot I get
    > ok boot disk
    > Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0 File and args:
    > Memory Address not Aligned
    > ok boot disk
    > Fast Data Access MMU Miss
    >
    > At this point whenever I try to boot from disk I get Fast Data Access
    > MMU Miss, until I reset and start all over again.

    Perhaps the location of the SIMMs? (Or perhaps not.)

    > Does this indicate a problem with the disk? The disk isn't that old, and
    > when my Ultra 5 does boot the OS seems to run fine.

    So -- it does boot sometimes?

    If there is something in bank 0, and it has an intermittent
    connection, this could explain why it sometimes boots and sometimes does
    not. (Though it would have to be a unusual intermittent to avoid
    leaving information in the diagnostics which you quoted above.

    BTW What is in the PCI slots in the machine? You seem to have an error
    associated with one or more of the slots.

    > Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    Just guesses above.

    BTW The Ultra 5 machines are now so inexpensive, that getting a
    second machine to swap parts with might be the most
    cost-effective diagnostic tool.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: Ultra 5 Won't Boot

    re seat the memory and whatever is in pci 1

  4. Re: Ultra 5 Won't Boot

    DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > According to Eric Kolotyluk :
    >> I've been having a lot of trouble getting my (old) Ultra 5 to boot.
    >>
    >> I've connected a terminal emulator to serial port a on my Sun and run
    >> the Power On Self Test (POST) several times and it never fails, even
    >> with dial-level max.
    >>
    >> The trouble seems to happen after the reset or power-on
    >>
    >> Clearing I/D TLBs Done
    >> Probing Memory Done
    >> MEM BASE = 0000.0000.1000.0000
    >> MEM SIZE = 0000.0000.1000.0000
    >> 11-Column Mode Enabled
    >> MMUs ON
    >> Copy Done
    >> PC = 0000.01ff.f000.201c
    >> PC = 0000.0000.0000.2060
    >> Decompressing into Memory Done
    >> Size = 0000.0000.0006.e770
    >> ttya initialized
    >> Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SXIR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
    >> UltraSPARC-IIi 2-2 module
    >> Probing Memory Bank #0 0 + 0 : 0 Megabytes
    >> Probing Memory Bank #2 128 + 128 : 256 Megabytes

    > Hmm ... nothing in bank 0, and two simms in bank 2? What if you
    > move them to the other sockets? The system may be expecting SIMMs in
    > bank 0.

    The sims are in their original factory positions and have worked fine
    there for over 5 years.

    >> Probing UPA Slot at 1e,0 Nothing There
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 1 pci108e,1000 network
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 2 SUNW,m64B
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1 at Device 3 ide disk cdrom
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 1 Nothing there
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1 at Device 2 pci
    >> Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@2 at Device 0 Data Access Error
    >>
    >> whenever I do a reset I get
    >> Data Access Error
    >>
    >> If I try to boot I get
    >> ok boot disk
    >> Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0 File and args:
    >> Memory Address not Aligned
    >> ok boot disk
    >> Fast Data Access MMU Miss
    >>
    >> At this point whenever I try to boot from disk I get Fast Data Access
    >> MMU Miss, until I reset and start all over again.

    > Perhaps the location of the SIMMs? (Or perhaps not.)
    >
    >> Does this indicate a problem with the disk? The disk isn't that old, and
    >> when my Ultra 5 does boot the OS seems to run fine.

    > So -- it does boot sometimes?

    Yes, it boots sometimes, but it's getting harder to boot now. I only got
    a serial cable for ttya a couple of days ago, so until now it was a
    'real' mystery why it wouldn't boot. I've event tried booting from the
    cdrom and it gives me exactly the same problem.

    > If there is something in bank 0, and it has an intermittent
    > connection, this could explain why it sometimes boots and sometimes does
    > not. (Though it would have to be a unusual intermittent to avoid
    > leaving information in the diagnostics which you quoted above.
    >
    > BTW What is in the PCI slots in the machine? You seem to have an error
    > associated with one or more of the slots.

    I've got a PC board (i.e., personal computer) for running windows in one
    slot, and it's daughter card in another slot, then a SCSI and Ethernet
    controller in the last slot.

    >> Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    > Just guesses above.
    >
    > BTW The Ultra 5 machines are now so inexpensive, that getting a
    > second machine to swap parts with might be the most
    > cost-effective diagnostic tool.

    Hmmm, I never thought about that. Maybe I should give my old friends at
    the local Sun office a call.

    > Good Luck,
    > DoN.

    Thanks, Eric

  5. Re: Ultra 5 Won't Boot

    solarisguy.unix@gmail.com wrote:
    > re seat the memory and whatever is in pci 1

    I pulled the old Sun Intel board that I used to use for running Windows.
    Now my Ultra 5 boots first time no problems. Oh well, I don't need that
    thing anymore.

    Now I remember, years ago when I had Sun service they had me re-seat the
    PCI boards to fix a similar problem with it not booting.

    Thanks muchly - Eric

  6. Re: Ultra 5 Won't Boot

    According to Eric Kolotyluk :
    > DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > > According to Eric Kolotyluk :
    > >> I've been having a lot of trouble getting my (old) Ultra 5 to boot.
    > >>
    > >> I've connected a terminal emulator to serial port a on my Sun and run
    > >> the Power On Self Test (POST) several times and it never fails, even
    > >> with dial-level max.
    > >>
    > >> The trouble seems to happen after the reset or power-on

    [ ... ]

    > > Hmm ... nothing in bank 0, and two simms in bank 2? What if you
    > > move them to the other sockets? The system may be expecting SIMMs in
    > > bank 0.

    > The sims are in their original factory positions and have worked fine
    > there for over 5 years.

    I see from another branch of the thread that you got it working
    by pulling the Intel CPU card from the PCI bus.

    [ ... ]

    > > So -- it does boot sometimes?

    > Yes, it boots sometimes, but it's getting harder to boot now. I only got
    > a serial cable for ttya a couple of days ago, so until now it was a
    > 'real' mystery why it wouldn't boot. I've event tried booting from the
    > cdrom and it gives me exactly the same problem.

    Which suggests that whatever it is, it is not the OS or disk
    contents that's the problem.

    [ ... ]

    > > BTW What is in the PCI slots in the machine? You seem to have an error
    > > associated with one or more of the slots.

    > I've got a PC board (i.e., personal computer) for running windows in one
    > slot, and it's daughter card in another slot, then a SCSI and Ethernet
    > controller in the last slot.

    And -- it turned out to be the PC card. Hmm ... does that card
    have a battery on it? If so, it may be getting old and weak.

    > >> Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    > > Just guesses above.
    > >
    > > BTW The Ultra 5 machines are now so inexpensive, that getting a
    > > second machine to swap parts with might be the most
    > > cost-effective diagnostic tool.

    > Hmmm, I never thought about that. Maybe I should give my old friends at
    > the local Sun office a call.

    I don't know that you can get them from Sun at any reasonable
    price (other than a possible give-away), but I've gotten mine from a
    hamfest almost exactly a year ago. It was all of $20.00. (And I
    immediately set aside the disk which was in in, and installed an 80GB IDE
    drive to replace it. And I installed Solaris 10 from DVD. (I also
    replaced the CD-ROM drive with an IDE DVD burner.)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564