dvd-rom drive for an ultra 2: problem - SUN

This is a discussion on dvd-rom drive for an ultra 2: problem - SUN ; there is a pioneer dvd drive for sale on ebay. problem is, the seller has it completely packaged and won't open to give me model number. however, he says it works with a MAC G3, so that establishes the vintage. ...

  1. dvd-rom drive for an ultra 2: problem

    there is a pioneer dvd drive for sale on ebay. problem is, the seller
    has it completely packaged and won't open to give me model number.
    however, he says it works with a MAC G3, so that establishes the
    vintage. do these things have sector size jumpers so that i can get
    it to function on solaris? it is a 6x dvd and 32x cd reader, in case
    that helps.
    --

    getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
    - jules feifer

  2. Re: dvd-rom drive for an ultra 2: problem

    arthur wouk wrote:

    > there is a pioneer dvd drive for sale on ebay. problem is, the seller
    > has it completely packaged and won't open to give me model number.
    > however, he says it works with a MAC G3, so that establishes the
    > vintage. do these things have sector size jumpers so that i can get
    > it to function on solaris? it is a 6x dvd and 32x cd reader, in case
    > that helps.

    You don't have to buy a DVD drive without knowing the model number.

    New ones with model number specified are not that expensive.

  3. Re: dvd-rom drive for an ultra 2: problem

    CJT wrote:

    > arthur wouk wrote:
    >
    >> there is a pioneer dvd drive for sale on ebay. problem is, the seller
    >> has it completely packaged and won't open to give me model number.
    >> however, he says it works with a MAC G3, so that establishes the
    >> vintage. do these things have sector size jumpers so that i can get
    >> it to function on solaris? it is a 6x dvd and 32x cd reader, in case
    >> that helps.

    > You don't have to buy a DVD drive without knowing the model number.
    >
    > New ones with model number specified are not that expensive.

    BTW, one option might be to use an IDE drive with a SCSI converter.