Bad Drive? - SUN

This is a discussion on Bad Drive? - SUN ; Tried to install a new software package on my system (Sun Blade 150/1.25GB ram/2x120gb hd) when started getting "out of inodes" message for / and /opt. Tried to boot -s system will not boot - getting "Can't open boot device" ...

  1. Bad Drive?

    Tried to install a new software package on my system (Sun Blade
    150/1.25GB ram/2x120gb hd) when started getting "out of inodes" message
    for / and /opt.

    Tried to boot -s system will not boot - getting "Can't open boot
    device" error message.

    After booting from backup disk and mounting the 'bad disk', things are
    a bit more strange.

    Did a df -F ufs -o i to check inodes on the 'bad disk' and the highest
    inode in use % is only 5%. inodes don't appear to be the problem.

    Tried to reboot the main drive again but getting two new error
    messages:

    Can't read disk label
    Can't open read disk label package

    Can't open boot device

    I performed a backup from the backup to the primary drive and
    reinstalled the boot block. But still get the same errors.

    I checked the drive with format and it does not report any errors. The
    label and backup functions indicate everything as being OK.

    But still can't boot.

    I can mount and access all slices on the drive, it just won't boot.

    Ideas? Any help appreciated.

    Thx

    This same drive died on me during a previous backup and just
    disappeared from the system - format command could not find it and boot
    -r wouldn't fix it either.

    Begining to think need to salvage the magnets from the drive and add
    the platters to my WD Wall of shame.

  2. Re: Bad Drive?

    On 16 Feb 2006 15:22:35 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

    >Tried to install a new software package on my system (Sun Blade
    >150/1.25GB ram/2x120gb hd) when started getting "out of inodes" message
    >for / and /opt.
    >
    >Tried to boot -s system will not boot - getting "Can't open boot
    >device" error message.
    >
    >After booting from backup disk and mounting the 'bad disk', things are
    >a bit more strange.
    >
    >Did a df -F ufs -o i to check inodes on the 'bad disk' and the highest
    >inode in use % is only 5%. inodes don't appear to be the problem.
    >
    >Tried to reboot the main drive again but getting two new error
    >messages:
    >
    > Can't read disk label
    > Can't open read disk label package
    >
    > Can't open boot device
    >
    >I performed a backup from the backup to the primary drive and
    >reinstalled the boot block. But still get the same errors.
    >
    >I checked the drive with format and it does not report any errors. The
    >label and backup functions indicate everything as being OK.
    >
    >But still can't boot.
    >
    >I can mount and access all slices on the drive, it just won't boot.
    >
    >Ideas? Any help appreciated.
    >

    >Thx
    >

    >This same drive died on me during a previous backup and just
    >disappeared from the system - format command could not find it and boot
    >-r wouldn't fix it either.
    >
    >Begining to think need to salvage the magnets from the drive and add
    >the platters to my WD Wall of shame.

    Format isn't a good diagnostic program. You have to try to figure
    out if it is hardware or screwed up or destroyed file system.

    So, easiest thing is to pop that disk in a PC (since your sun doesn't
    boot), and run some software to see if disk is OK.

+ Reply to Thread