Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access - SUN

This is a discussion on Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access - SUN ; Hi all! I recently managed to get an old SparcSTATION IPX on which is running SunOS 5.5.1 I'm completely new to this kind of systems and I've found a lot of manuals about architecture, hardware, openboot and sundiag, but I ...

  1. Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    Hi all!
    I recently managed to get an old SparcSTATION IPX on which is running
    SunOS 5.5.1
    I'm completely new to this kind of systems and I've found a lot of
    manuals about architecture, hardware, openboot and sundiag, but I
    coulnd't find a manual of SunOS 5.5.1.
    Now the problem is this: on the machine is active a root account but I
    don't know the password and I have no ways to get it. Is there a way to
    change the root password without knowing the old one or access the
    system in single user mode without having to insert the root password?

    Thanks in advance for the help

    Lele

    PS: If someone has a digital copy of the manual or knows where to get
    it can write me the url?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    EKP wrote:
    > I recently managed to get an old SparcSTATION IPX on which is running
    > SunOS 5.5.1
    > I'm completely new to this kind of systems and I've found a lot of
    > manuals about architecture, hardware, openboot and sundiag, but I
    > coulnd't find a manual of SunOS 5.5.1.

    You will find them under "Solaris 2.5.1"
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/solaris.2_5_1

    > Now the problem is this: on the machine is active a root account but I
    > don't know the password and I have no ways to get it. Is there a way to
    > change the root password without knowing the old one or access the
    > system in single user mode without having to insert the root password?

    You need a Solaris CD (doesn't have to be 2.5.1) to boot from, mount the
    hard disk and clear the password.
    Search news.google.com for "Solaris forgot root password"

  3. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    Really thanks!
    Do you know if I can do the same with a boot floppy instead of a cd?
    And If it's possibile do you know if it's possibile to find a boot
    floppy somewhere on the net?
    The matter is that I have no CD drive on this machine!

    Really thanks again for being patient and for help!
    I really am new to this world.

    Lele

  4. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    EKP wrote:
    > Do you know if I can do the same with a boot floppy instead of a cd?

    I don't think so.

  5. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    EKP wrote:

    > Really thanks!
    > Do you know if I can do the same with a boot floppy instead of a cd?
    > And If it's possibile do you know if it's possibile to find a boot
    > floppy somewhere on the net?
    > The matter is that I have no CD drive on this machine!
    >
    > Really thanks again for being patient and for help!
    > I really am new to this world.
    >
    > Lele

    You need to boot a copy of the O/S that you can log into in order to
    change the root password on disk. The usual procedure is to boot from
    the installation media with the "-s" flag. You then mount the root
    partition of the hard disk, edit /etc/shadow (/etc/passwd in ancient
    versions of the O/S) to remove the password for root.

    Lacking the installation media, the only other way is to remove the disk
    drive from the box, install it in another Sun machine to which you do
    have the root password and use that system to edit /etc/shadow or
    /etc/passwd as appropriate.

    Frankly, the IPX is pretty much a boat anchor these days and hardly
    worth the trouble. ISTR that the IPX had SCSI I (or maybe II. Both have
    been antiques for years. You may find it very difficult to find a
    system that will support it.

    Is there some reason you can't give the box a funeral and bury it
    somewhere? Or load it into a cannon and shoot it out the window?

  6. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    Of course you're right!
    But there's a reason: I'm a retrocomputer's lover!
    That machine didn't even switch on when I got it, and now the only
    matter is the root password.
    I could install a bsd or something like that but i'd like to mantain
    the sunOS.
    Actually i still have some problems to solve but i've done a lot of
    steps ahead and i'm happy to see that machine still running software.

    Anyway, you're all very kind and i thank yuo for the precious
    informations

    Lele

  7. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, EKP wrote:

    > Of course you're right!
    > But there's a reason: I'm a retrocomputer's lover!
    > That machine didn't even switch on when I got it, and now the only
    > matter is the root password.
    > I could install a bsd or something like that but i'd like to mantain
    > the sunOS.

    Fair enough, but I suggest you install SOlaris 7 (the last version
    that supported that ancient machine).

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  8. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    "EKP" writes:

    >Now the problem is this: on the machine is active a root account but I
    >don't know the password and I have no ways to get it. Is there a way to
    >change the root password without knowing the old one or access the
    >system in single user mode without having to insert the root password?

    Boot it over the net and then reset the password; or dig through CERT
    advisories and Sun Alerts for Solaris 2.5.1 security holes and try
    to remotely exploit one.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  9. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > Fair enough, but I suggest you install SOlaris 7 (the last version
    > that supported that ancient machine).

    Solaris 7 might be hard to find and the machine might not have enough RAM.
    2.5.1 is very stable and lean, just keep it out of the network or
    well firewalled since there are no more patches for it.
    Once you (the OP) get root access, install the last patch cluster
    that was available for it (Sept 2004).

    ftp://sunsolve.sun.com/patchroot/clu...mmended.README
    ftp://sunsolve.sun.com/patchroot/clu...ommended.tar.Z

  10. Re: Question about SunOS 5.5.1 root access

    Ah some one else who can not bear to chuck out old but very well
    engineered and working kit!
    I have an IPC, IPX and Classic hanging around and still working!
    Is there a museum of Sun in the UK I wonder?

    Les.

    EKP wrote:

    > Of course you're right!
    > But there's a reason: I'm a retrocomputer's lover!
    > That machine didn't even switch on when I got it, and now the only
    > matter is the root password.
    > I could install a bsd or something like that but i'd like to mantain
    > the sunOS.
    > Actually i still have some problems to solve but i've done a lot of
    > steps ahead and i'm happy to see that machine still running software.
    >

    > Anyway, you're all very kind and i thank yuo for the precious
    > informations
    >
    > Lele

+ Reply to Thread