Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config - SUN

This is a discussion on Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config - SUN ; Hi all. I'll be creating a flar to jumpstart several different servers with different configs. I know 1 flar can be used to start servers of the same architecture (EG Netra240/440), but what about supplemental hardware. For instance, I want ...

  1. Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    Hi all. I'll be creating a flar to jumpstart several different
    servers with different configs. I know 1 flar can be used to start
    servers of the same architecture (EG Netra240/440), but what about
    supplemental hardware. For instance, I want to create a FLAR on a
    server that is pretty bare-bones, and jump a server that has additional
    SCSI cards and Ulticom (SS7) cards. Will those cards be recognized
    during the jumpstart if they were not on the server on which the FLAR
    was created?

    Oh yeah, one more thing. How can I get the encrypted password in the
    sysidcfg. We've been using the same sysidcfg for over a year and I
    don't know how to change the encrypted password in the file.

    Thanks,
    Ben..

  2. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    bozothedeathmachine wrote:

    > Oh yeah, one more thing. How can I get the encrypted password in the
    > sysidcfg. We've been using the same sysidcfg for over a year and I
    > don't know how to change the encrypted password in the file.

    One way (there is probably an easier one) is to set the password of any
    user to the password you want, then to read the password field from
    /etc/shadow

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    > Hi all. I'll be creating a flar to jumpstart several different
    > servers with different configs. I know 1 flar can be used to start
    > servers of the same architecture (EG Netra240/440), but what about
    > supplemental hardware. For instance, I want to create a FLAR on a
    > server that is pretty bare-bones, and jump a server that has additional
    > SCSI cards and Ulticom (SS7) cards. Will those cards be recognized
    > during the jumpstart if they were not on the server on which the FLAR
    > was created?
    >
    > Oh yeah, one more thing. How can I get the encrypted password in the
    > sysidcfg. We've been using the same sysidcfg for over a year and I
    > don't know how to change the encrypted password in the file.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ben..

    Use a finish script to add in any additional Sun packages or third-party
    drivers. There's a small program called getbootparams or something like
    that in the miniroot tree (I think it's in the usr/sbin/ directory)
    which you can use to parse addt'l args from the OBP command-line to do
    various things:

    boot net[:dhcp] - install justsometext installsomescsidriver blah himom ...

    (I think getbootparams will parse out everything after the "-" into a
    single line of text)

    You'd probably want to run that somewhere in a finish script to derive
    an addt'l package(s) install from whatever parameters you want/need.
    The extra args are otherwise meaningless to jumpstart.

    As for the password it's just as Dave mentioned. Just copy the
    encrypted password you want out of /etc/shadow.

  4. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    bozothedeathmachine wrote:

    > Hi all. I'll be creating a flar to jumpstart several different
    > servers with different configs. I know 1 flar can be used to start
    > servers of the same architecture (EG Netra240/440), but what about
    > supplemental hardware. For instance, I want to create a FLAR on a
    > server that is pretty bare-bones, and jump a server that has additional
    > SCSI cards and Ulticom (SS7) cards. Will those cards be recognized
    > during the jumpstart if they were not on the server on which the FLAR
    > was created?
    >
    > Oh yeah, one more thing. How can I get the encrypted password in the
    > sysidcfg. We've been using the same sysidcfg for over a year and I
    > don't know how to change the encrypted password in the file.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ben..

    Hi Ben,

    I think that the "Conclusion" section at the end of this page answers
    your 1st question:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...h_archive.html

    There, it says:

    "In some cases, you may be recovering a machine that has different
    peripherals than the master machine. If you install the master system
    with the core, end user, developer, or entire software group, the master
    system supports only the peripheral devices that are attached to the
    master machine at the time of backup.

    With your disaster recovery plan, you should be able to recover a system
    that has different peripherals than the master machine. For this reason,
    you should install the Entire Plus OEM software group on the master
    machine. The flash archive created from the master machine with the
    Entire Plus OEM software group should work on any system that has
    peripheral devices supported by the installed release of the Solaris
    OS."

    Hope that helps!

    Jim

  5. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    > Hi all. I'll be creating a flar to jumpstart several different
    > servers with different configs. I know 1 flar can be used to start
    > servers of the same architecture (EG Netra240/440), but what about
    > supplemental hardware. For instance, I want to create a FLAR on a
    > server that is pretty bare-bones, and jump a server that has additional
    > SCSI cards and Ulticom (SS7) cards. Will those cards be recognized
    > during the jumpstart if they were not on the server on which the FLAR
    > was created?

    If the drivers are installed on the initial build, then when the
    flar is deployed onto new machines, the appropriate devices should be
    spotted and the correct drivers etc attached.

    Once a flar is deployed, things like the /dev, /devices and
    /etc/path_to_inst files are all regenerated, so just because the
    card isn't in the initial machine should not mean it won't be found
    on new deployments; it's the presence of the driver in the initial
    build that is important.

    cheers

  6. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    Ben wrote on 2006-02-11 02:37:

    > Use a finish script to add in any additional Sun packages or third-party
    > drivers. There's a small program called getbootparams or something like
    > that in the miniroot tree (I think it's in the usr/sbin/ directory)
    > which you can use to parse addt'l args from the OBP command-line to do
    > various things:
    >
    > boot net[:dhcp] - install justsometext installsomescsidriver blah himom ...

    If you want to do this, you will find that getbootargs (not
    getbootparams) is found in s0/sbin and is called from
    s0/sbin/install-discovery (s0/sbin becoms /sbin during Jumpstart).
    Modify install-discovery to understand the new OBP keywords you invent.
    You can then later let your begin script create a modified $SI_PROFILE
    for the installation (my preference) or let the finish script add the
    required packages after the basic installation is done.

    Also note that getbootargs has a length limitation which you can avoid
    to some extent by creating your own variant, google for "getbootargs
    broken group:comp.unix.solaris" (note that that article is for Solaris
    9, then it all was done in /sbin/rcS).

    --
    - Erlend Leganger

  7. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    In article <43ED41F4.10D6F1A5@cox.net>,
    ohaya writes:

    > bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi all. I'll be creating a flar to jumpstart several different
    >> servers with different configs. I know 1 flar can be used to start
    >> servers of the same architecture (EG Netra240/440), but what about
    >> supplemental hardware. For instance, I want to create a FLAR on a
    >> server that is pretty bare-bones, and jump a server that has additional
    >> SCSI cards and Ulticom (SS7) cards. Will those cards be recognized
    >> during the jumpstart if they were not on the server on which the FLAR
    >> was created?
    >>
    >> Oh yeah, one more thing. How can I get the encrypted password in the
    >> sysidcfg. We've been using the same sysidcfg for over a year and I
    >> don't know how to change the encrypted password in the file.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ben..

    > Hi Ben,
    >
    > I think that the "Conclusion" section at the end of this page answers
    > your 1st question:
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...h_archive.html
    >
    > There, it says:
    >
    > "In some cases, you may be recovering a machine that has different
    > peripherals than the master machine. If you install the master system
    > with the core, end user, developer, or entire software group, the master
    > system supports only the peripheral devices that are attached to the
    > master machine at the time of backup.
    >
    > With your disaster recovery plan, you should be able to recover a system
    > that has different peripherals than the master machine. For this reason,
    > you should install the Entire Plus OEM software group on the master
    > machine. The flash archive created from the master machine with the
    > Entire Plus OEM software group should work on any system that has
    > peripheral devices supported by the installed release of the Solaris
    > OS."
    >

    > Hope that helps!
    >
    > Jim

    Sounds to me like for reasonable administrative simplicity, this argues
    against those who would do minimal installs, and in favor of installing
    everything (which with zones probably also means less patch hell later,
    if you avoid installing some packages just for individual zones (and thus
    having to patch them individually, too)) and just disabling the services
    you don't need.

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

    Lasik/PRK theme music:
    "In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"

  8. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    Excellent. I hadn't seen that. We always use Entire + OEM, so I guess
    that'll work.

    Ben..

  9. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    Dave,
    Copying the string from the /etc/shadow didn't work. It generated a
    syntax error when I jumpstarted a system.

  10. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    "bozothedeathmachine" writes:

    >Dave,
    > Copying the string from the /etc/shadow didn't work. It generated a
    >syntax error when I jumpstarted a system.

    What did the string look like and how did you paste it?

    This seems to work for me:

    root_password=ZZvIHp4MBMwSE

    (this is the empty password)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  11. Re: Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

    Oops. I just looked at my shadow again. I think I might have copied 2
    parameters in there and not just one as there was a ':" in the
    password. I'll try it again. Thanks for calling my attention to it.

+ Reply to Thread