Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10. - SUN

This is a discussion on Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10. - SUN ; I'm trying to set up Solaris 10 on an Ultra 60 using a jumpstart method - something I have never used before. I'm using the SUNWjet tookit. http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/ I'm not getting very far, since the the file: Solaris_10/Tools/Boot on the ...

  1. Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    I'm trying to set up Solaris 10 on an Ultra 60 using a jumpstart method
    - something I have never used before. I'm using the SUNWjet tookit.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/

    I'm not getting very far, since the the file:

    Solaris_10/Tools/Boot

    on the CD seems to link to a non-existant slice on the CD.

    I downloaded the 4 ISO images of the CDs and are using lofiadm to make
    the images available.

    The CD iso files are in the directory
    /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/

    1) Make the CD#1 ISO image a block device.

    # lofiadm -a
    /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso
    /dev/lofi/1

    2) Mount the device as /mnt/cd.

    # mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt/cd

    2) Try (unsuccessfully) to copy the Solaris media to the location
    specified in the jumpstart config file.

    # cd /opt/SUNWjet/bin
    # ./copy_solaris_media /mnt/cd
    Copying Solaris image....
    ERROR: Install boot image /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot does not exist
    Check that boot image exists, or use [-t] to
    specify a valid boot image elsewhere.
    An Error occured during setup_install_server.
    (Additional details may have been sent through stderr)

    But the file /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot *does* exist, but seems to
    point to somewhere that does not.

    # ls -l /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 7 15:45
    /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot -> ../../../s1

    # cd /mnt/cd
    # find . -name s1

    Any ideas?

    --
    Dave K

  2. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up Solaris 10 on an Ultra 60 using a jumpstart method
    > - something I have never used before. I'm using the SUNWjet tookit.
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/
    >
    > I'm not getting very far, since the the file:
    >
    > Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    >
    > on the CD seems to link to a non-existant slice on the CD.
    >
    > I downloaded the 4 ISO images of the CDs and are using lofiadm to make
    > the images available.
    >
    > The CD iso files are in the directory
    > /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/
    >

    > 1) Make the CD#1 ISO image a block device.
    >
    > # lofiadm -a
    > /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso
    > /dev/lofi/1
    >
    > 2) Mount the device as /mnt/cd.
    >
    > # mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt/cd
    >
    > 2) Try (unsuccessfully) to copy the Solaris media to the location
    > specified in the jumpstart config file.
    >
    > # cd /opt/SUNWjet/bin
    > # ./copy_solaris_media /mnt/cd
    > Copying Solaris image....
    > ERROR: Install boot image /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot does not exist
    > Check that boot image exists, or use [-t] to
    > specify a valid boot image elsewhere.
    > An Error occured during setup_install_server.
    > (Additional details may have been sent through stderr)
    >
    > But the file /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot *does* exist, but seems to
    > point to somewhere that does not.
    >
    > # ls -l /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 7 15:45
    > /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot -> ../../../s1
    >
    > # cd /mnt/cd
    > # find . -name s1
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Sounds like you are setting up a JumpStart server on a different
    hw type than your client (x86/sparc or vice-versa).

    Have a look at
    http://jet.maui.co.uk/faq/index.php?...d=1&artlang=en

    for more information on how to work around this 'feature' of the Solaris
    installation media.

    HTHs

  3. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Marty Lee wrote:

    > Sounds like you are setting up a JumpStart server on a different
    > hw type than your client (x86/sparc or vice-versa).

    No. The server is an Ultra 80, the client I want to stick Solaris on is
    an Ultra 60 and obviously I'm using the SPARC iso image

    sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso

    --
    Dave K

  4. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Marty Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like you are setting up a JumpStart server on a different
    >> hw type than your client (x86/sparc or vice-versa).

    > No. The server is an Ultra 80, the client I want to stick Solaris on is
    > an Ultra 60 and obviously I'm using the SPARC iso image
    >
    > sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso

    The FAQ entry still has some useful information which sheds some light,
    even though my initial assumption was wrong.

    lofiadm is making available the hsfs image which is at the start of the
    iso file. This is the 's0' partition.

    The iso also has other Solaris slices, which you are not getting access
    to, hence your missing Boot directory (it should be Solaris slice 1).

    http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18074 has some information on how
    to 'split' the iso, so you can get a distinct file for the 's1' image
    and then you should be able to use lofiadm to mount the s1 image.

    Alternatively (although it is a pain), burn the iso to a CD/DVD and
    then things just magically work as you would expect.

  5. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up Solaris 10 on an Ultra 60 using a jumpstart method
    > - something I have never used before. I'm using the SUNWjet tookit.
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/
    >
    > I'm not getting very far, since the the file:
    >
    > Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    >
    > on the CD seems to link to a non-existant slice on the CD.
    >
    > I downloaded the 4 ISO images of the CDs and are using lofiadm to make
    > the images available.
    >
    > The CD iso files are in the directory
    > /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/
    >

    > 1) Make the CD#1 ISO image a block device.
    >
    > # lofiadm -a
    > /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso
    > /dev/lofi/1
    >
    > 2) Mount the device as /mnt/cd.
    >
    > # mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt/cd
    >
    > 2) Try (unsuccessfully) to copy the Solaris media to the location
    > specified in the jumpstart config file.
    >
    > # cd /opt/SUNWjet/bin
    > # ./copy_solaris_media /mnt/cd
    > Copying Solaris image....
    > ERROR: Install boot image /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot does not exist
    > Check that boot image exists, or use [-t] to
    > specify a valid boot image elsewhere.
    > An Error occured during setup_install_server.
    > (Additional details may have been sent through stderr)
    >
    > But the file /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot *does* exist, but seems to
    > point to somewhere that does not.
    >
    > # ls -l /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 7 15:45
    > /mnt/cd/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot -> ../../../s1
    >
    > # cd /mnt/cd
    > # find . -name s1
    >
    > Any ideas?

    you cannot lofi-mount the iso image of a solaris install image, because
    the iso image has multiple slices which is not supported by the current
    lofi driver. That means that you will have to burn the iso image and
    mount the dvd in a dvd-device...

    HTH,
    Tom

  6. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.sun.admin.]

    * Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up Solaris 10 on an Ultra 60 using a jumpstart method

    [..]
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/
    >
    > I'm not getting very far, since the the file:
    >
    > Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    >
    > on the CD seems to link to a non-existant slice on the CD.

    CD1 contains an UFS slice which needs to be extracted.

    http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/isosetup.html

    - Sebastian

    --
    Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
    smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front

  7. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    In article <43d62b0e@212.67.96.135>,
    "Dave (from the UK)" writes:
    > Marty Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like you are setting up a JumpStart server on a different
    >> hw type than your client (x86/sparc or vice-versa).

    > No. The server is an Ultra 80, the client I want to stick Solaris on is
    > an Ultra 60 and obviously I'm using the SPARC iso image
    >
    > sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso

    The first disk is a combined ufs and hsfs image. You need to
    disentangle the ufs partition - lofi doesn't understand partitions so
    you need to dd out the ufs bit into a separate image. I'm sure this is
    covered elsewhere, but my notes are at:

    http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/isosetup.html

    --
    -Peter Tribble
    L.I.S., University of Hertfordshire - http://www.herts.ac.uk/

  8. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Marty Lee wrote:

    > The FAQ entry still has some useful information which sheds some light,
    > even though my initial assumption was wrong.

    > lofiadm is making available the hsfs image which is at the start of the
    > iso file. This is the 's0' partition.
    >
    > The iso also has other Solaris slices, which you are not getting access
    > to, hence your missing Boot directory (it should be Solaris slice 1).

    Cheers.

    > http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18074 has some information on how
    > to 'split' the iso, so you can get a distinct file for the 's1' image
    > and then you should be able to use lofiadm to mount the s1 image.

    Yes, that looks like my problem. I'll try that.

    > Alternatively (although it is a pain), burn the iso to a CD/DVD and
    > then things just magically work as you would expect.

    Cheers. I just tried it on a Solaris 9 CD I had already written and that
    at least looks hopeful. I might do a minimal Solaris 7 install to at
    least allow me to update the OBP whilst I'm still waiting for the DVD to
    download.

    I think the Solaris 10 DVD contains more than the CDs. Can't recall
    what, but there was some discussion on one of the Sun newsgroups and the
    DVD image is significantly larger than the 4 CDs added together.

    You have been helpful. I really had no idea what the problem was.
    --
    Dave K

  9. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > I think the Solaris 10 DVD contains more than the CDs. Can't recall
    > what, but there was some discussion on one of the Sun newsgroups and the
    > DVD image is significantly larger than the 4 CDs added together.

    the difference in size between the dvd and the 4 cds is the size of the
    language cd...

    Tom

  10. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > You have been helpful. I really had no idea what the problem was.

    No problem - I'm trying to put as much JET information as possible up
    on http://jet.maui.co.uk, so people can quickly get up and running with
    JET. Content is still in it's infancy, but will be expanding as the days
    go by.

  11. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Marty Lee wrote:

    > The FAQ entry still has some useful information which sheds some light,
    > even though my initial assumption was wrong.
    >
    > lofiadm is making available the hsfs image which is at the start of the
    > iso file. This is the 's0' partition.
    >
    > The iso also has other Solaris slices, which you are not getting access
    > to, hence your missing Boot directory (it should be Solaris slice 1).
    >
    > http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18074 has some information on how
    > to 'split' the iso, so you can get a distinct file for the 's1' image
    > and then you should be able to use lofiadm to mount the s1 image.

    It is still not working for me, despite having exacted the other slice
    as per instructions at

    http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18074

    # df -h | grep lofi
    /dev/lofi/1 246M 246M 0K 100% /cd/s0
    /dev/lofi/2 387M 368M 0K 100% /cd/s1

    /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot now is a link to somewhere that exists (and
    has sensible looking contents), but no luck running the JET script

    /opt/SUNWjet/bin/copy_solaris_media

    Here is what I get.

    # ./copy_solaris_media /cd/s0
    Copying Solaris image....
    ERROR: /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot is not a valid install boot image
    Check that boot image is valid, or use [-t]
    to specify a valid boot image.
    An Error occured during setup_install_server.
    (Additional details may have been sent through stderr)
    # ls -l /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 7 15:45
    /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot -> ../../../s1
    # cd /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    # pwd
    /cd/s1
    # ls
    a cdrom devices kernel mnt
    platform reconfigure system usr
    bin dev etc lib opt proc
    sbin tmp var

    That looks reasonable to me.

    > Alternatively (although it is a pain), burn the iso to a CD/DVD and
    > then things just magically work as you would expect.

    I think I'll do that !!
    --
    Dave K

  12. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Here is what I get.
    >
    > # ./copy_solaris_media /cd/s0
    > Copying Solaris image....
    > ERROR: /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot is not a valid install boot image
    > Check that boot image is valid, or use [-t]
    > to specify a valid boot image.
    > An Error occured during setup_install_server.
    > (Additional details may have been sent through stderr)

    copy_solaris_media is just a wrapper around the standard JumpStart
    setup_install_server script; in that script, the error above is
    generated if the Boot/.tmp_proto directory does not exist (which
    would be /cd/s1/.tmp_proto in your case).

    If setup_install_server doesn't work with your image, then JET will
    not fare any better.

  13. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    marty wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >

    >> Here is what I get.
    >>
    >> # ./copy_solaris_media /cd/s0
    >> Copying Solaris image....
    >> ERROR: /cd/s0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot is not a valid install boot image
    >> Check that boot image is valid, or use [-t]
    >> to specify a valid boot image.
    >> An Error occured during setup_install_server.
    >> (Additional details may have been sent through stderr)

    > copy_solaris_media is just a wrapper around the standard JumpStart
    > setup_install_server script; in that script, the error above is
    > generated if the Boot/.tmp_proto directory does not exist (which
    > would be /cd/s1/.tmp_proto in your case).

    I tried going to setup_install_server, but the same error occurred as
    you say.

    I've just written a CD. I note there are 6 slices on the CD, although 2
    seem to be empty. Not sure if there is any point in copy the other 4 too.

    df shows.

    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s6
    31K 2K 26K 8%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s6
    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s5
    31K 2K 26K 8%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s5
    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s4
    31K 2K 26K 8%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s4
    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s3
    31K 2K 26K 8%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s3
    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s2
    31K 2K 26K 8%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s2
    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s1
    387M 368M 0K 100%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s1
    /vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/sol_10_106_sparc/s0
    246M 246M 0K 100%
    /cdrom/sol_10_106_sparc/s0

    But things are looking a bit more hopeful now the ISO image has been
    written to a CD. I've only a few minutes ago done this, but so far, so
    good - see below.

    # ./copy_solaris_media /cdrom/cdrom0/s0
    Copying Solaris image....
    Verifying target directory...
    Calculating the required disk space for the Solaris_10 product
    Calculating space required for the installation boot image

    --
    Dave K

  14. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > I've just written a CD. I note there are 6 slices on the CD, although 2
    > seem to be empty. Not sure if there is any point in copy the other 4 too.

    Sorry, there are 7 slices, only 2 of which have any contents.

    Perhaps writing a Cd is less hassle, and I guess it is handy if there is
    a problem.

    --
    Dave K

  15. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > I've just written a CD. I note there are 6 slices on the CD, although 2
    > seem to be empty. Not sure if there is any point in copy the other 4 too.

    they are the 'boot blocks' for various architectures of SPARC hardware.
    Can't remember which ones Solaris 10 supports, but in the past they
    would have been for sun4u, sun4m, sun4c, sun4d, sun4e etc. No point
    splitting them off and mounting them up, as they are only needed when
    booting off the CD itself. Once you have the Solaris image on your
    JumpStart server, it will pass the 'inetboot' boot block to the clients
    when they boot - the CD boot blocks are not used.

  16. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    > I'm trying to set up Solaris 10 on an Ultra 60 using a jumpstart method
    > - something I have never used before. I'm using the SUNWjet tookit.
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/
    >
    > I'm not getting very far, since the the file:
    >
    > Solaris_10/Tools/Boot
    >
    > on the CD seems to link to a non-existant slice on the CD.
    >
    > I downloaded the 4 ISO images of the CDs and are using lofiadm to make
    > the images available.
    >
    > The CD iso files are in the directory
    > /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/
    >

    > 1) Make the CD#1 ISO image a block device.
    >
    > # lofiadm -a
    > /usr/local/src/sol-10-up-ga-sparc-CD-images/sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso
    > /dev/lofi/1

    Dave, I'm sure the that CD1 is partitioned with multiple slices, IIRC.
    So I suspect you've prolly only mounted once slice.

    Dunno if you can get round this with lofiadm or if it will mount all
    the slices..

    Steve

  17. Re: Stuck with Jumpstart Toolkit and Solaris 10.

    Marty Lee writes:

    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > > Marty Lee wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sounds like you are setting up a JumpStart server on a different
    > >> hw type than your client (x86/sparc or vice-versa).

    > > No. The server is an Ultra 80, the client I want to stick Solaris on is
    > > an Ultra 60 and obviously I'm using the SPARC iso image
    > >
    > > sol-10-u1-ga-sparc-v1.iso
    > >

    > The FAQ entry still has some useful information which sheds some light,
    > even though my initial assumption was wrong.
    >
    > lofiadm is making available the hsfs image which is at the start of the
    > iso file. This is the 's0' partition.
    >
    > The iso also has other Solaris slices, which you are not getting access
    > to, hence your missing Boot directory (it should be Solaris slice 1).
    >
    > http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18074 has some information on how
    > to 'split' the iso, so you can get a distinct file for the 's1' image
    > and then you should be able to use lofiadm to mount the s1 image.
    >
    > Alternatively (although it is a pain), burn the iso to a CD/DVD and
    > then things just magically work as you would expect.

    Hmm.. I had the same problem when I wanted a simple way of putting the
    newest Solaris Express files on my basement jumpstart server without
    needing to burn the disks (beeing eco friendly

    I don`t have access to my servers from here, but if I remember
    correctly I found the information in Sysadmin magazine.
    Have a look here:

    http://www.samag.com/documents/s=921...h/0407h_l1.htm

    The parent page is here:

    http://www.samag.com/documents/s=921...407h/0407h.htm