Problem with the installation of SUN SOLARIS 8 - SUN

This is a discussion on Problem with the installation of SUN SOLARIS 8 - SUN ; Hello everyone, Faisal here...I am facing a silly problem with my Sun SPARCstation 5 machine. I had one hard drive where already i installed SOLARIS 8. However, i bought another secondary hard drive for some additional works. But now I ...

  1. Problem with the installation of SUN SOLARIS 8

    Hello everyone,

    Faisal here...I am facing a silly problem with my Sun SPARCstation 5
    machine.

    I had one hard drive where already i installed SOLARIS 8. However, i
    bought another secondary hard drive for some additional works. But now
    I can't even boot my machine.

    I tried to boot from the CD and was thinking to format everything and
    install it from the beginning, but also it shows i couldn't format
    properly. :-(

    Can any one plz guide me. I will be glad.

  2. Re: Problem with the installation of SUN SOLARIS 8

    neloy500@gmail.com writes:

    >Faisal here...I am facing a silly problem with my Sun SPARCstation 5
    >machine.

    A SPARC station 5 or a UltraSPARC 5?

    If it's an SS5, the secondary SCSI disk should work fine as long as you
    remove all SCSI id jumpers; it is possible you need to force the disk
    to "SE" (but most disks are LVD/SE autosensing and that generally works).

    If it's a Ultra 5d, then you will need to make sure that the driver
    you've installed is jumpered for "cable select" and that you connected
    it to the free connector on the cable connecting the other harddisk
    to the motherboard (and that you didn't swap the connectors around)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread