Automount vs Soft Links ? - SUN

This is a discussion on Automount vs Soft Links ? - SUN ; I recently inherited a system that has more than a few quirks. One I found sparked a bit of discussion as to which way is best - soft links or automounts? We have a server (E4500) with a 1TB raid. ...

  1. Automount vs Soft Links ?

    I recently inherited a system that has more than a few quirks. One I
    found sparked a bit of discussion as to which way is best - soft links
    or automounts?

    We have a server (E4500) with a 1TB raid. In one set of directories on
    the system disks, there are a few directories that are links to
    directories on the raid. But in another location (our ftp directories)
    the directories are again on the raid, but are automounted
    (/etc/auto_direct) into the ...ftp/pub directory tree.

    Is there any significant difference between the two approaches?
    Pros/Cons with either?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: Automount vs Soft Links ?

    In article <1136931722.807739.20930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Mike" writes:
    > I recently inherited a system that has more than a few quirks. One I
    > found sparked a bit of discussion as to which way is best - soft links
    > or automounts?
    >
    > We have a server (E4500) with a 1TB raid. In one set of directories on
    > the system disks, there are a few directories that are links to
    > directories on the raid. But in another location (our ftp directories)
    > the directories are again on the raid, but are automounted
    > (/etc/auto_direct) into the ...ftp/pub directory tree.
    >
    > Is there any significant difference between the two approaches?
    > Pros/Cons with either?

    I would normally avoid direct automounter maps - they're a pain to
    maintain. Regular maps are fine - but the map fixes the location, so if
    you need something to end up in a random location you need a symlink.

    However, the ftp server won't follow symbolic links, so in that case
    you have to use real mounts - either auto_direct or explicit
    mounts. Which explains why the automounter is used in that case.

    --
    -Peter Tribble
    L.I.S., University of Hertfordshire - http://www.herts.ac.uk/