What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output? - SUN

This is a discussion on What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output? - SUN ; I'm trying to set up an HP 1320nw postscript printer using just the Solaris tools. (There are some HP specific ones for this printer, but for now I want to ignore them.) Looking with svcs, I see: # svcs -a ...

  1. What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output?

    I'm trying to set up an HP 1320nw postscript printer using just the
    Solaris tools. (There are some HP specific ones for this printer, but
    for now I want to ignore them.)

    Looking with svcs, I see:

    # svcs -a | grep -i print
    online Jan_05 svc:/application/print/cleanup:default
    online Jan_05 svc:/application/print/ipp-listener:default
    online 12:59:41 svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
    online* 14:30:25 svc:/application/print/server:default

    What does the 'online*' mean on svc:/application/print/server:default ?

    Trying to enable the service does nothing to help:

    # svcadm enable application/print/server:default

    Again, svcs shows:

    # svcs print/server
    STATE STIME FMRI
    online* 14:30:25 svc:/application/print/server:default

    Does it indicate some sort of problem, that might expalin an inability
    to enable the printer queque?

    The specific problem is I can't get the queue to accept print requests.

    # accept hp
    UX:accept: ERROR: Can't establish contact with the LP print service.
    TO FIX: Either the LP print service has stopped,
    or all message channels are busy. If the
    problem continues, get help from your
    system administrator.

    Any ideas? I have not tried rebooting - Solaris is not Windoze.

    --
    Dave K

  2. Re: What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output?

    Dave wrote:

    > # svcs print/server
    > STATE STIME FMRI
    > online* 14:30:25 svc:/application/print/server:default

    I just noticed this, which might be connected.

    # svcs -a | grep maintenance
    maintenance 15:51:26 svc:/system/system-log:default

    I was messing around with syslog.conf yesterday.

    disabling and enabling does not cure that one.

    # svcadm disable system-log
    # svcadm enable system-log
    # svcs system-log
    STATE STIME FMRI
    maintenance 15:55:39 svc:/system/system-log:default

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output?

    Dave writes:

    >Dave wrote:

    >> # svcs print/server
    >> STATE STIME FMRI
    >> online* 14:30:25 svc:/application/print/server:default

    >I just noticed this, which might be connected.

    The "online*" notation is explained in the manual page:

    An asterisk (*) is appended for instances in transition,

    ># svcs -a | grep maintenance
    >maintenance 15:51:26 svc:/system/system-log:default

    Which is a problem which can be debugged with:

    svcs -x

    ># svcadm enable system-log
    ># svcs system-log
    >STATE STIME FMRI
    >maintenance 15:55:39 svc:/system/system-log:default

    Looks like you did something wrong.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output?

    In article <43c3d9ea@212.67.96.135>, Dave wrote:
    > # svcadm enable system-log
    > # svcs system-log
    > STATE STIME FMRI
    > maintenance 15:55:39 svc:/system/system-log:default

    # svcs -x system-log

    which should print a path to its log file. Check its contents.

    Also, see what are the dependent services for system-log, and make sure
    they're all in an online state, too:

    # svcs -d system-log

    (And likewise for print/server, too.)

    -Dan

  5. Re: What does "online*" mean in "svcs" output?

    Dan Foster wrote:
    > In article <43c3d9ea@212.67.96.135>, Dave wrote:
    >
    >># svcadm enable system-log
    >># svcs system-log
    >>STATE STIME FMRI
    >>maintenance 15:55:39 svc:/system/system-log:default

    > # svcs -x system-log
    >
    > which should print a path to its log file. Check its contents.

    Thanks. The system log is now sorted out - it was

    "Service restarting too quickly"

    http://www.sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-L5

    Following suggestion above.

    # svcadm clear system-log
    # svcs system-log
    STATE STIME FMRI
    online 16:13:30 svc:/system/system-log:default

    Still have proiblems with the printer though. I'll have to take another
    look.

    # svcadm disable print/server
    # svcadm enable print/server

    # svcs print/server
    STATE STIME FMRI
    online* 14:30:25 svc:/application/print/server:default

    # svcs -x print/server
    svc:/application/print/server:default (LP print server)
    State: online since Tue Jan 10 14:30:25 2006
    See: lpsched(1M)
    See: /var/svc/log/application-print-server:default.log
    Impact: None.

    # tail -10 /var/svc/log/application-print-server:default.log
    [ Jan 10 16:24:51 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:52 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:53 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:54 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:55 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:56 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:57 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:58 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:24:59 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    [ Jan 10 16:25:00 Method or service exit timed out. Killing contract 48 ]
    #

    --
    Dave K