umount /var on Sol 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on umount /var on Sol 10 - SUN ; new to Sol 10 and can't figure out how to umount /var for a fsck due to svc.startd process. have mirrored all partitions in root disk with SVM. What is the correct method?...

  1. umount /var on Sol 10

    new to Sol 10 and can't figure out how to umount /var for a fsck due to
    svc.startd process.
    have mirrored all partitions in root disk with SVM.

    What is the correct method?

  2. Re: umount /var on Sol 10

    Cactus Paul wrote:

    > new to Sol 10 and can't figure out how to umount /var for a fsck due to
    > svc.startd process.
    > have mirrored all partitions in root disk with SVM.
    >
    > What is the correct method?

    One obvious way would be to boot in single user mode off of the install
    media.

    I assume the problem you're having is that svc.startd has a log file
    or similar open in /var ?

  3. Re: umount /var on Sol 10

    Regrettably, I have no media to use right now. Could be log, makes sense.
    fuser -c /var says /lib/svc/bin/svc.startd -s is the culprit. Man page says
    don't invoke directly, but all things like svcadm don't seem to make a diff.
    svc.startd seems to be run out of inittab at all run levels. Sure seems
    like a drastic change from SVR4 standards.

    "CJT" wrote in message
    > Cactus Paul wrote:
    >
    >> new to Sol 10 and can't figure out how to umount /var for a fsck due to
    >> svc.startd process.
    >> have mirrored all partitions in root disk with SVM.
    >>
    >> What is the correct method?

    > One obvious way would be to boot in single user mode off of the install
    > media.
    >
    > I assume the problem you're having is that svc.startd has a log file
    > or similar open in /var ?
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.

  4. Re: umount /var on Sol 10

    Cactus Paul wrote:
    > Regrettably, I have no media to use right now. Could be log, makes sense.
    > fuser -c /var says /lib/svc/bin/svc.startd -s is the culprit. Man page says
    > don't invoke directly, but all things like svcadm don't seem to make a diff.
    > svc.startd seems to be run out of inittab at all run levels. Sure seems
    > like a drastic change from SVR4 standards.
    >

    > "CJT" wrote in message
    >
    >>Cactus Paul wrote:
    >>

    >>>new to Sol 10 and can't figure out how to umount /var for a fsck due to
    >>>svc.startd process.
    >>>have mirrored all partitions in root disk with SVM.
    >>>
    >>>What is the correct method?

    >>One obvious way would be to boot in single user mode off of the install
    >>media.
    >>
    >>I assume the problem you're having is that svc.startd has a log file
    >>or similar open in /var ?
    >>
    >>--
    >>The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    >>minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.

    If you could confirm it was only a log file that's got /var in use, you
    could probably force a umount and blow off a few potential log entries,
    or temporarily mount /var elsewhere until after the fsck.

    Are you sure you need the fsck? I thought Sol10 was fairly liberal with
    the logging option.