Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris? - SUN

This is a discussion on Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris? - SUN ; I'm thinking of buying the above, which is a reasonably priced (just over 300 pounds in the UK, no doubt $300 in the US) printer. It would appear to offer quite a bit postscript, networked, duplexer, 1200x1200 etc. But it ...

  1. Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    I'm thinking of buying the above, which is a reasonably priced (just
    over 300 pounds in the UK, no doubt $300 in the US) printer. It would
    appear to offer quite a bit postscript, networked, duplexer, 1200x1200
    etc. But it is not supported under any UNIX (even Linux). I'm told it
    works under Linux + some UNIX's, but has anyone tried it on Solaris?

    --
    Dave K

  2. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    Dave writes:
    >I'm thinking of buying the above, which is a reasonably priced (just
    >over 300 pounds in the UK, no doubt $300 in the US) printer. It would
    >appear to offer quite a bit postscript, networked, duplexer, 1200x1200
    >etc. But it is not supported under any UNIX (even Linux). I'm told it
    >works under Linux + some UNIX's, but has anyone tried it on Solaris?

    I can't imagine that HP would abandon technology they've used for over
    a decade in a new model that would prevent Solaris from using it as a
    network printer. They've been very consistant on what they support
    network printer wise.

    If its networkable, then they'd support the LPR protocol, or their
    variation up on port 9100 that Solaris deals with very well. Its a
    very simple protocol, not much to change or screw up.

    Dump postscript to it and you are all set. For that price, you
    probably won't get Adobe postscript, but some clone, but the clones
    work as well as Adobe does in this day and age.

    FWIW: the HP1320 is $400 in the US, but isn't listed as having a
    network interface. They have several HP Print Servers offered as
    accessories availabe for purchase. I have used the Jetdirect 300
    print server under Solaris. And the 170 under Mac OSX with no special
    HP software loaded, just HP netprint port 9100 connection.

  3. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    On 04 Jan 2006 20:14:32 GMT,
    Doug McIntyre , in
    <43bc2ca8$0$235$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.c om> wrote:

    >+ FWIW: the HP1320 is $400 in the US, but isn't listed as having a
    >+ network interface.

    What the OP would be interested in would be the HP1320N. My employer
    has one, and it's nice, small and reasonably speedy printer.

    Send postscript files over the network and it works just fine. Here's
    the port scan:

    (The 1664 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    80/tcp open http
    280/tcp open http-mgmt
    515/tcp open printer
    9100/tcp open jetdirect

    It's "self-configuring" in terms of IP address out of the box, so it
    may take a little poking to find it if you don't have Windows box
    handy. Sadly, not much of a control panel.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  4. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    HI,

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On 04 Jan 2006 20:14:32 GMT,
    > Doug McIntyre , in
    > <43bc2ca8$0$235$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.c om> wrote:
    >

    >>+ FWIW: the HP1320 is $400 in the US, but isn't listed as having a
    >>+ network interface.

    > What the OP would be interested in would be the HP1320N. My employer
    > has one, and it's nice, small and reasonably speedy printer.
    >
    > Send postscript files over the network and it works just fine. Here's
    > the port scan:
    >
    > (The 1664 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
    > PORT STATE SERVICE
    > 80/tcp open http
    > 280/tcp open http-mgmt
    > 515/tcp open printer
    > 9100/tcp open jetdirect
    >
    > It's "self-configuring" in terms of IP address out of the box, so it
    > may take a little poking to find it if you don't have Windows box
    > handy. Sadly, not much of a control panel.

    I just put the MAC address of the printer(which is written on the
    printer some where) and put it in a DHCP server which should lock the IP
    address to the "printername".

    below is one I have named michelangelo served by a ISC DHCP server.

    host michelangelo
    {
    hardware ethernet 08:00:09:8d:0d:3f;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.6;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.4;
    option host-name "A3 Laserjet";
    option routers 192.168.1.14;
    }

    /michael

  5. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    Dave wrote:

    > I'm thinking of buying the above, which is a reasonably priced (just
    > over 300 pounds in the UK, no doubt $300 in the US) printer. It would
    > appear to offer quite a bit postscript, networked, duplexer, 1200x1200
    > etc. But it is not supported under any UNIX (even Linux). I'm told it
    > works under Linux + some UNIX's, but has anyone tried it on Solaris?

    HP LaserJet printers work well with Solaris if you use the HP supplied
    software (JetAdmin, JetDirect or whatever they are calling it this
    week). This is available for SPARC but not for X86. Without the HP
    software, it's a nightmare! There is a lot of documentation on how to
    set up a printer but none of it is particularly helpful in the case of
    HP printers (it may not be helpful with anything but my experience is
    with the HP LJ4000.)

  6. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    Dave wrote:
    > I'm thinking of buying the above, which is a reasonably priced (just
    > over 300 pounds in the UK, no doubt $300 in the US) printer. It would
    > appear to offer quite a bit postscript, networked, duplexer, 1200x1200
    > etc. But it is not supported under any UNIX (even Linux). I'm told it
    > works under Linux + some UNIX's, but has anyone tried it on Solaris?

    Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll probably place an order for one
    of them. If anyone has a suggestion for a more suitable printer, let me
    know. Basic requirements are

    1) Usable with Solaris with no hassle. That means postscript and networked.

    2) Not too expensive for home use.

    3) Duplexer nice, but not absolutely essential.

    BTW, since a couple of you do have a HP LaserJet 1320, you might like to
    know that Crucial

    http://www.crucial.com/

    sell extra memory for the printer a bit cheaper than HP. By "a bit
    cheaper" I mean about 5% of the cost of HP!! HP really do take the mick
    at several hundred pounds for 128 MB. I think they in a time-warp with
    memory prices. 128 MB from HP costs more than the printer if you buy the
    basic (not networked) model.

    --
    Dave K

  7. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    HI,

    Dave wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of buying the above, which is a reasonably priced (just
    >> over 300 pounds in the UK, no doubt $300 in the US) printer. It would
    >> appear to offer quite a bit postscript, networked, duplexer, 1200x1200
    >> etc. But it is not supported under any UNIX (even Linux). I'm told it
    >> works under Linux + some UNIX's, but has anyone tried it on Solaris?
    >>

    > Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll probably place an order for one
    > of them. If anyone has a suggestion for a more suitable printer, let me
    > know. Basic requirements are
    >
    > 1) Usable with Solaris with no hassle. That means postscript and networked.
    >
    > 2) Not too expensive for home use.
    >
    > 3) Duplexer nice, but not absolutely essential.
    >
    > BTW, since a couple of you do have a HP LaserJet 1320, you might like to
    > know that Crucial
    >
    > http://www.crucial.com/
    >
    > sell extra memory for the printer a bit cheaper than HP. By "a bit
    > cheaper" I mean about 5% of the cost of HP!! HP really do take the mick
    > at several hundred pounds for 128 MB. I think they in a time-warp with
    > memory prices. 128 MB from HP costs more than the printer if you buy the
    > basic (not networked) model.

    Brother has cheap good printers with PS which works very easy under Unix.

    /michael

  8. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    > HP LaserJet printers work well with Solaris if you use the HP supplied
    > software (JetAdmin, JetDirect or whatever they are calling it this
    > week). This is available for SPARC but not for X86. Without the HP
    > software, it's a nightmare! There is a lot of documentation on how to
    > set up a printer but none of it is particularly helpful in the case of
    > HP printers (it may not be helpful with anything but my experience is
    > with the HP LJ4000.)

    I didn't find the setup of their SW too easy. My recommendation is to
    install CUPS (from Blastwave), and then pkgrm the Solaris lp packages
    (SUNWpsu SUNWppm SUNWscplp SUNWpcu SUNWpsr SUNWpcr) and
    link /opt/csw/bin/{lpstat,lp,lpq,lpr,lprm} to /usr/bin. The web-based
    printer setup alone is worth it.

    Roman

  9. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:16:58 +0100,
    Michael Laajanen , in
    <4233biF1gll3uU1@individual.net> wrote:

    >+ I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    >+ > It's "self-configuring" in terms of IP address out of the box, so it
    >+ > may take a little poking to find it if you don't have Windows box
    >+ > handy. Sadly, not much of a control panel.

    >+ I just put the MAC address of the printer(which is written on the
    >+ printer some where) and put it in a DHCP server which should lock the IP
    >+ address to the "printername".

    Ah, yes. I hadn't thought of that, but then I don't have my own DHCP
    server.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  10. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:56:20 +0000,
    Dave , in
    <43bc60a4@212.67.96.135> wrote:

    >+ 128 MB from HP costs more than the printer if you buy the
    >+ basic (not networked) model.

    Yes, I know. I about swallowed my toungue the first time I looked at
    what they wanted for a stick of memory...

    I'm going to guess they don't sell a whole lot of memory. At least, I
    hope not.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  11. Re: Anyway used the HP LaserJet 1320 on Solaris?

    Hi,

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:16:58 +0100,
    > Michael Laajanen , in
    > <4233biF1gll3uU1@individual.net> wrote:
    >

    >>+ I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    >>+ > It's "self-configuring" in terms of IP address out of the box, so it
    >>+ > may take a little poking to find it if you don't have Windows box
    >>+ > handy. Sadly, not much of a control panel.

    >>+ I just put the MAC address of the printer(which is written on the
    >>+ printer some where) and put it in a DHCP server which should lock the IP
    >>+ address to the "printername".

    > Ah, yes. I hadn't thought of that, but then I don't have my own DHCP
    > server.

    Hmm, but if you are connecting a printer to the network you must go via
    you IT department in order to not have a conflict on IP addresses!

    And if you are the IT department just start the DPCP server on your machine!

    /michael

+ Reply to Thread