Installing C compiler on Solaris 7? - SUN

This is a discussion on Installing C compiler on Solaris 7? - SUN ; Stupid question: how do I install a C compiler on Solaris 7? If I run 'cc', I get a 'language optional software package not installed'. 'man cc' tells me that cc is in package 'SPROcc', "whose default locoation is /opt/SUNWspro". ...

  1. Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Stupid question: how do I install a C compiler on Solaris 7?

    If I run 'cc', I get a 'language optional software package not
    installed'. 'man cc' tells me that cc is in package 'SPROcc', "whose
    default locoation is /opt/SUNWspro".

    So, I dig out the Solaris 7 CD, and follow the instructions in "adding
    and removing packages using Admintool", in the "Installation Library"
    doc. However, Admintool doesn't work with package names, and there's
    nothing that looks like a C compiler. There's some compiler support
    stuff, but it turns out that that's already installed.

    I then try to use 'pkgadd', guessing at the required CD drive name.
    However, after lots of poking around, I can't find anything that looks
    like SPROcc on the CD. There's lots of stuff in
    /cdrom/sol_7_sun_sparc_srvr/s0/Solaris_2.7/Product, but none of it
    looks like a C compiler.

    Am I being stupid? Surely the first thing that most users need is a C
    compiler.

    Cheers

    Paul

    PS. please don't suggest upgrading...

  2. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Paul Johnson writes:
    >Stupid question: how do I install a C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Sounds like you have one installed already, just your path is set wrong.

    >If I run 'cc', I get a 'language optional software package not
    >installed'. 'man cc' tells me that cc is in package 'SPROcc', "whose
    >default locoation is /opt/SUNWspro".

    First off, remove /usr/ucb out of your path.

    Second, try adding /opt/SUNWspro/bin to your path, or try to verify
    that SUNWspro is installed by calling cc directly with /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
    and seeing if that fails or succeeds.

    >So, I dig out the Solaris 7 CD, and follow the instructions in "adding
    >and removing packages using Admintool", in the "Installation Library"
    >doc. However, Admintool doesn't work with package names, and there's
    >nothing that looks like a C compiler. There's some compiler support
    >stuff, but it turns out that that's already installed.

    The Solaris 7 CD doesn't have SUNWspro on it, or any C compiler anyway.

    >I then try to use 'pkgadd', guessing at the required CD drive name.
    >However, after lots of poking around, I can't find anything that looks
    >like SPROcc on the CD. There's lots of stuff in
    >/cdrom/sol_7_sun_sparc_srvr/s0/Solaris_2.7/Product, but none of it
    >looks like a C compiler.

    Nope, no C compiler on that disc. If you don't have SUNWspro, then
    you'll probably be trying to find a precompiled gcc somewhere like at
    sunfreeware.com or blastwave.

    >Am I being stupid? Surely the first thing that most users need is a C
    >compiler.

    Depends on the user really. Most users don't compile C programs. Most
    sysadmins do at some point, although not always. Every C developer
    would though.

    >PS. please don't suggest upgrading...

    Solaris 10 comes with GCC installed. If you upgraded to at least 8,
    you could run the free Sun Studio 11 if you did not have SUNWspro
    installed/licensed. Solaris 7 was released in 1998 afterall.

  3. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Paul Johnson wrote:

    > Stupid question: how do I install a C compiler on Solaris 7?

    You could try downloading and installing the free Studio 11 compiler
    from Sun, although I'm not sure if S7 is supported (S8 is though).
    Failing that, try downloading an older version (try and buy).

    As a last resort, you could try grabbing gcc from SunFreeware.

    Better though would be to upgrade to SOlaris 10. It comes with gcc,
    and Studio 11 will definately work (usually with better results than
    with gcc).

    > like SPROcc on the CD. There's lots of stuff in
    > /cdrom/sol_7_sun_sparc_srvr/s0/Solaris_2.7/Product, but none of it
    > looks like a C compiler.

    Right. Prior to Studio 11, the C compiler was an extra-cost add on.

    > Am I being stupid? Surely the first thing that most users need is a C
    > compiler.

    You're not being stupid, but I'd argue that most users's don't need a
    C compiler. I can't see a stock market trader trying to compile some
    random app! :-)

    > PS. please don't suggest upgrading...

    Ahh, too late. :-)

    . * * . * .* .
    . * . .*
    President, * . . /\ ( . . *
    Rite Online Inc. . . / .\ . * .
    .*. / * \ . .
    . /* o \ .
    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638 * '''||''' .

  4. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    "Rich Teer" wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Paul Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > Stupid question: how do I install a C compiler on Solaris 7?

    > You could try downloading and installing the free Studio 11 compiler
    > from Sun, although I'm not sure if S7 is supported (S8 is though).

    Its not. Last version supported on Solaris 7 is Sun Studio 8.
    http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/c...rt_matrix.html

    Thomas

  5. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Paul Johnson writes:

    >Stupid question: how do I install a C compiler on Solaris 7?

    You buy one or download one; Studio 11 from Sun is free but
    not support on Solaris 7; Studio 10 is not free. And then
    there's gcc.

    >If I run 'cc', I get a 'language optional software package not
    >installed'. 'man cc' tells me that cc is in package 'SPROcc', "whose
    >default locoation is /opt/SUNWspro".

    There's no C compiler included in Solaris 7.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  6. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Thanks guys. I managed to fix my immediate problem with a shell
    script, but Sunfreeware is a real find - I can get a current gcc even
    for Solaris 7.

    Cheers

    Paul

  7. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Paul Johnson wrote:
    > Thanks guys. I managed to fix my immediate problem with a shell
    > script, but Sunfreeware is a real find - I can get a current gcc even
    > for Solaris 7.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Paul

    .../and you are probably better off with the freeware. I have been using
    gcc for years with no problems at all. Happy new year and the very best
    to all on the gcc team!

  8. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    In article <43BC1A92.6040006@null.com>,
    L$s Hayward wrote:

    >Paul Johnson wrote:
    >> Thanks guys. I managed to fix my immediate problem with a shell
    >> script, but Sunfreeware is a real find - I can get a current gcc even
    >> for Solaris 7.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Paul

    >../and you are probably better off with the freeware. I have been using
    >gcc for years with no problems at all. Happy new year and the very best
    >to all on the gcc team!

    If you think *that* site is cool, have a look at www.blastwave.com.
    You'll be glad you did!

    David

  9. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    David Combs wrote:
    > In article <43BC1A92.6040006@null.com>,
    > >Paul Johnson wrote:
    > >> Thanks guys. I managed to fix my immediate problem with a shell
    > >> script, but Sunfreeware is a real find - I can get a current gcc even
    > >> for Solaris 7.

    > If you think *that* site is cool, have a look at www.blastwave.com.
    > You'll be glad you did!

    No cuz he's stuck at Solaris 7 for whatever reason.
    Last time I checked Blastwave starts at 8...

  10. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Well, I tried it and couldn't find it.
    I am "stuck" with Sol.7, simply because it is stable and fulfills all my
    requirements at present. If it aint broke - why fix it?

    Les.

    gerryt@ wrote:
    > David Combs wrote:

    >>If you think *that* site is cool, have a look at www.blastwave.com.
    >>You'll be glad you did!

    > No cuz he's stuck at Solaris 7 for whatever reason.
    > Last time I checked Blastwave starts at 8...

  11. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    L$s Hayward wrote:
    > Well, I tried it and couldn't find it.
    > I am "stuck" with Sol.7, simply because it is stable and fulfills all my
    > requirements at present. If it aint broke - why fix it?
    >
    > Les.

    Well, if it makes your life easier, such as allowing the use of better
    compilers, downloading packages easier, has better security, better
    performance, then I would upgrade it.

    Installing a compiler is a breze on Solaris 10, but looks like you might
    have more hassle on 7. Not sure what hardware you are running, so
    perhaps Solaris 10 is not possible.

    --
    Dave K

  12. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    "L$s Hayward" writes:

    >Well, I tried it and couldn't find it.
    >I am "stuck" with Sol.7, simply because it is stable and fulfills all my
    >requirements at present. If it aint broke - why fix it?

    Because there's no support if it does break?

    Because you can't get Sun's compiler for it for free?

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  13. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    L$s Hayward top posts without any discernable context:

    > Well, I tried it and couldn't find it.

    "it" means..?
    "couldn't find.." where did you look..?

    > I am "stuck" with Sol.7, simply because it is stable and fulfills all my
    > requirements at present. If it aint broke - why fix it?

    Your requirements bar is set rather low : >
    Im going to assume that you mean you went to Blastwave but
    couldnt find a gcc for Solaris 7. Good, as isnt there.
    In your case for starters I suggest going to sunfreeware.com and
    getting the 2.95.3 version of gcc. Its a fool proof one step pkgadd
    process with as I recall no prerequisites other than a /usr/local
    directory.
    But you may have done that already.

    > gerryt@ wrote:
    > > David Combs wrote:
    > >>In article <43BC1A92.6040006@null.com>,
    > >>If you think *that* site is cool, have a look at www.blastwave.com.
    > >>You'll be glad you did!

    > > No cuz he's stuck at Solaris 7 for whatever reason.
    > > Last time I checked Blastwave starts at 8...

  14. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    gerryt@ wrote:
    > L$s Hayward top posts without any discernable context:

    Some actually prefer top posting.

    >>Well, I tried it and couldn't find it.

    > "it" means..?
    > "couldn't find.." where did you look..?

    I tried the URL listed - DNS couldnt find it. It could have been a temp.
    glitch.

    >>I am "stuck" with Sol.7, simply because it is stable and fulfills all my
    >>requirements at present. If it aint broke - why fix it?

    > Your requirements bar is set rather low : >

    Yes, my requirements are low - they need to be as I am retired, so any
    support etc. is down to me. I am quite content with gcc, but am always
    open to suggestions. That was why I followed the link.
    Thanks anyway.

    Les.

  15. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    L$s Hayward wrote:

    >> Your requirements bar is set rather low : >

    > Yes, my requirements are low - they need to be as I am retired, so any
    > support etc. is down to me.

    Well, the newsgroups are pretty good for support, but you are likely to
    get more support on the later versions of Solaris. Peoples memories tend
    to fade a bit.

    > I am quite content with gcc, but am always
    > open to suggestions. That was why I followed the link.
    > Thanks anyway.

    If you have an UltraSPARC machine, Solaris 10 and SunStudio 11 will give
    you better performance than gcc. It has a nice debugger, does not extand
    the language like gcc does, hence IMHO is a better choice.

    It seems *ages* ago I first bought a copy of Solaris 7. I wanted two
    copies (one for me, one for my system admin), but Sun would only let me
    buy one copy on my credit card, for some reason I never did work out!!
    (Anyone else remember this, and can recall the reasons?)

    Needless to say, only one copy was bought.

    --
    Dave K

  16. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > If you have an UltraSPARC machine, Solaris 10 and SunStudio 11 will give
    > you better performance than gcc. It has a nice debugger, does not extand
    > the language like gcc does, hence IMHO is a better choice.

    Yes I guess I should make the effort sometime, if only to keep my mind
    in gear! No problems with hardware,
    currently using Ultra5's free, courtesy of my last employer the MOD who
    were replacing systems with MS clockwork
    novelties for the sake of cheapness. Heaven help the defence of the realm!

    Les.

  17. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    L$s Hayward wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > > If you have an UltraSPARC machine, Solaris 10 and SunStudio 11 will give
    > > you better performance than gcc. It has a nice debugger, does not extand
    > > the language like gcc does, hence IMHO is a better choice.

    > Yes I guess I should make the effort sometime, if only to keep my mind
    > in gear! No problems with hardware,
    > currently using Ultra5's free, courtesy of my last employer the MOD who
    > were replacing systems with MS clockwork
    > novelties for the sake of cheapness. Heaven help the defence of the realm!

    Indeed, Seems like you retired at the right time : >
    I thought you were still using an SS20 - an Ultra 5 will run Solaris 10
    (with a bit of RAM added perhaps). Downloads are 'free'. 10 is
    supported
    and way better than 7. Now's your chance : >

  18. Re: Installing C compiler on Solaris 7?

    >I tried the URL listed - DNS couldnt find it. It could have been a temp.
    >glitch.

    Try: http://www.blastwave.org/ instead

    David

    ----