Firewall on SunOS 5.5? - SUN

This is a discussion on Firewall on SunOS 5.5? - SUN ; No shortage of problems.... I need to connect to a SunOS 5.5 box on port 1717, and nmap tells me that this port is closed. However, I have no docs for this machine, and I have absolutely no idea what ...

  1. Firewall on SunOS 5.5?

    No shortage of problems....

    I need to connect to a SunOS 5.5 box on port 1717, and nmap tells me
    that this port is closed. However, I have no docs for this machine,
    and I have absolutely no idea what firewall it's using, and how I
    should open this port. Can anyone give me any pointers?

    Cheers

    Paul

  2. Re: Firewall on SunOS 5.5?

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Paul Johnson wrote:

    > I need to connect to a SunOS 5.5 box on port 1717, and nmap tells me
    > that this port is closed. However, I have no docs for this machine,
    > and I have absolutely no idea what firewall it's using, and how I
    > should open this port. Can anyone give me any pointers?

    JUst because a given port is closed doesn't mean a firewall is running.
    More likely is the daemon that listens on that port simply isn't
    running, in which case it needs to be started. Oh, and Solaris 2.5
    is *really* ancient--it hasn't been supported for years--you should
    strongly consider upgrading.

    HTH,

    . * * . * .* .
    . * . .*
    President, * . . /\ ( . . *
    Rite Online Inc. . . / .\ . * .
    .*. / * \ . .
    . /* o \ .
    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638 * '''||''' .

  3. Re: Firewall on SunOS 5.5?

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:31:53 GMT, Rich Teer
    wrote:

    >JUst because a given port is closed doesn't mean a firewall is running.
    >More likely is the daemon that listens on that port simply isn't
    >running, in which case it needs to be started.

    Thanks - you were right; no firewall, I just messed up the daemon
    setup.

    > Oh, and Solaris 2.5
    >is *really* ancient--it hasn't been supported for years--you should
    >strongly consider upgrading.

    I'd love to... once I've found all that mission-critical data that was
    forgotten about years ago..

+ Reply to Thread