Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting... - SUN

This is a discussion on Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting... - SUN ; I've got 2 dead (or resting?!) Sun 4's (UltraSPARC-1, I think) that I'm trying to bring up; any advice would be much appreciated. The first one has a lost root password (and it needs a password for a single-user boot). ...

  1. Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting...

    I've got 2 dead (or resting?!) Sun 4's (UltraSPARC-1, I think) that
    I'm trying to bring up; any advice would be much appreciated.

    The first one has a lost root password (and it needs a password for a
    single-user boot). It has a floppy, but no CD drive.

    The second one is refusing to boot from disk; it doesn't have a floppy
    or a CD drive. However, it does have 3 SCSI drives, so I would be
    surprised if it originally booted from net (I don't know what the
    original setup was). It has OpenBoot 3.0, which shows 'boot-device' as
    'disk net', and shows 'diag-device' as 'net'. On normal startup, it
    attempts to boot from net. The diagnostic output is:

    probe-scsi (shows nothing)
    probe-scsi-all (shows one SBus device; I suspect there should be 2)
    test-scsi (just does a quick DMA fill, doesn't report a problem)
    boot disk (either shows 'can't open boot device', or hangs up)
    boot scsi (shows 'boot load failed')

    Questions:

    1) Are there any more diagnostics that I can carry out on the second
    machine, to find out if the SCSI drives are still alive? Can I
    download a Forth program from somewhere that'll let me look at the
    drives? I don't have any service arrangements with Sun.

    2) I think my only option is to attempt a net boot on both machines.
    However, I don't know how to do this - can anyone point me to any docs
    on this? I can use either Linux/x86 or Solaris as a server. I have two
    other Suns that I can presumably use the kernel from - an old
    Ultra60/Solaris 7 (but it's 64-bit), and an older UltaSPARC-1/SunOS
    5.5.

    Cheers -

    Paul

  2. Re: Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting...

    Paul Johnson wrote:
    > I've got 2 dead (or resting?!) Sun 4's (UltraSPARC-1, I think) that
    > I'm trying to bring up; any advice would be much appreciated.

    A SUN 4 Workstation should be MicroSparc arcitechture from
    the beginning of the nineties.

    After them came Sparcstation10 and Sparcstation20 which
    were SuperSparc Architectures.

    UltraSparc 1 was the Ultra1, Ultra2 and Ultra150 WS
    from approx 1995/96.

    > 2) I think my only option is to attempt a net boot on both machines.
    > However, I don't know how to do this - can anyone point me to any docs
    > on this? I can use either Linux/x86 or Solaris as a server. I have two
    > other Suns that I can presumably use the kernel from - an old
    > Ultra60/Solaris 7 (but it's 64-bit), and an older UltaSPARC-1/SunOS
    > 5.5.

    Check out the "advandced installation guide " for solaris 2.5 or
    2.6
    on docs.sun.com. Look for the Jumpstart chapters.
    You will need Solaris 2.5 or 2.6 media

    //Lars

  3. Re: Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting...

    "tunla" writes:

    >Paul Johnson wrote:
    >> I've got 2 dead (or resting?!) Sun 4's (UltraSPARC-1, I think) that
    >> I'm trying to bring up; any advice would be much appreciated.

    >A SUN 4 Workstation should be MicroSparc arcitechture from
    >the beginning of the nineties.

    No, "Sun4" are all architectures (there was one specifically named
    "sun4" as opposed to "sun4m", "sun4u", "sun4d", "sun4e" and "sun4v", but
    "Sun4" is not an uncommon name.

    Since there's a reference to OpenBoot 3.0, it's certainly an Ultra
    class system.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting...

    Paul Johnson writes:

    >The first one has a lost root password (and it needs a password for a
    >single-user boot). It has a floppy, but no CD drive.

    Boot net is the only recover option, I believe.

    >The second one is refusing to boot from disk; it doesn't have a floppy
    >or a CD drive. However, it does have 3 SCSI drives, so I would be
    >surprised if it originally booted from net (I don't know what the
    >original setup was). It has OpenBoot 3.0, which shows 'boot-device' as
    >'disk net', and shows 'diag-device' as 'net'. On normal startup, it
    >attempts to boot from net. The diagnostic output is:

    3 SCSI drivers? Only really big systems have that many. Or are they
    external?

    >probe-scsi (shows nothing)
    >probe-scsi-all (shows one SBus device; I suspect there should be 2)
    >test-scsi (just does a quick DMA fill, doesn't report a problem)
    >boot disk (either shows 'can't open boot device', or hangs up)
    >boot scsi (shows 'boot load failed')

    probe-scsi-all should show all connected drives.

    >1) Are there any more diagnostics that I can carry out on the second
    >machine, to find out if the SCSI drives are still alive? Can I
    >download a Forth program from somewhere that'll let me look at the
    >drives? I don't have any service arrangements with Sun.

    Not that I know off.

    >2) I think my only option is to attempt a net boot on both machines.
    >However, I don't know how to do this - can anyone point me to any docs
    >on this? I can use either Linux/x86 or Solaris as a server. I have two
    >other Suns that I can presumably use the kernel from - an old
    >Ultra60/Solaris 7 (but it's 64-bit), and an older UltaSPARC-1/SunOS
    >5.5.

    Should be a piece of cake once you have the media; just run the setup
    and add client scripts.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  5. Re: Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting...

    Jumpstart Installation with out the any configuration files.
    Best when u have no cdrom

    1. you should have both the boxes on the same subnet-
    2. you should have solaris cd 1 of 2.
    3. run 3 commands thats it -

    1- Load and mount the Solaris 9 CD-ROM on a new jump server for ex
    jump8015 on the same subnet,

    2- Run the script to copy the CD to disk

    please note Your 420 is broke8007
    please note your jumpstart server is jump8015

    on jump8015 jump server -
    Run the script to copy the CD to disk to
    jump8015# cd /cdrom/cdrom0/s0/Solaris_9/Tools
    jump8015# ./setup_install_server /var/tmp/solaris

    3- Copy CD #2 to disk --- not required.
    Jump8015# cd /cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_9/Tools
    jump8015# ./add_to_install_server /var/tmp/solaris

    Jump8015# cd /var/tmp/solaris/Solaris_9/Tools
    jump8015# ./add_install_client -i 10.217.72.55 -e 00:03:ba:3d:70:75
    broke8007 sun4u
    This command will do a lot of things to your system
    - It setups NFS and shares the install dir: /var/tmp/Solaris and read
    only for everyone.
    - enables the tftp protocol on the server and creates /tftpboot, then
    copy some files to /tftpboot
    the /tftpboot now contains several files

    jump8015:/tftpboot #ls
    0AD94837 rm.10.217.72.55
    0AD94837.SUN4U tftpboot
    inetboot.SUN4U.Solaris_9-1
    jump8015:/tftpboot #

    - it updates the file /etc/bootparams
    jump8015:/tftpboot #cat /etc/bootparams
    broke8007.com root=jump8015:/var/tmp/solaris/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot
    install=jump8015:/var/tmp/solaris boottype=:in rootopts=:rsize=32768
    jump8015:/tftpboot #
    - it starts up some daemons that you may not want to have running
    all the time
    /usr/sbin/in.rarpd -a
    /usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd
    and all the NFS stuff.

    Then from the ok prompt on broke8007 run this command

    ok> boot net - install

    ok boot net - install
    Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/network@c,1 File and args: - install
    Using Onboard Transceiver - Link Up.
    Setting Half duplex mode.
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    29200
    Server IP address: 10.217.72.59
    Client IP address: 10.217.72.55
    Using Onboard Transceiver - Link Up.
    Setting Half duplex mode.

    Requesting Internet address for 0:3:ba:1f:84:3
    SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_117171-07 64-bit
    Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    whoami: no domain name
    Configuring /dev and /devices
    Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.
    NOTICE: SUNW,qfe3: No response from Ethernet network : Link Down -
    cable problem?
    Skipping interface qfe3
    NOTICE: SUNW,qfe2: No response from Ethernet network : Link Down -
    cable problem?
    Skipping interface qfe2
    SUNW,qfe1: 100 Mbps half duplex link up - internal transceiver
    Skipping interface qfe1
    NOTICE: SUNW,qfe0: No response from Ethernet network : Link Down -
    cable problem?
    Skipping interface qfe0
    Skipping interface eri1
    Configured interface eri0
    Searching for configuration file(s)...
    Search complete.

    Select a Language
    0 English

    Select a Locale
    58 U.S.A (en_US.ISO... )

    Networked
    [x] yes

    Use DHCP
    [ ] yes
    [x] no

    Primary network interface
    [x] select the right one (qfe0, hme0, ...)

    Host name: yourhost
    IP address:

    System part of a subnet
    [x] yes

    Netmask: 255.255.255.0

    Enable IPv6
    [x] no

    Default Route
    [x] specify one

    Router IP Adress:

    Confirm Information

    Configure Kerberos Security
    [x] no

    Time Zone
    [x] Americas

    Date and Time
    Year
    month
    day
    hour
    minute

    select initial install
    select standard install
    select geographic regions

    [/] North America

    Select 64 Bit
    [x] select to include solaris 64=bit support

    Select Software
    [x] Entire Distribution plus OEM support 64-bit 1914 MB

    Select disks
    [x] c0t0d0

    Preserve data?

    F2_Continue

    Automatically Layout File Systems?
    F4_Manual Layout

    F4_Customize

    Disk Editing Options
    [x] cylinders

    Slice Mount Point start-end Size (GB)
    0 / 0-5807 8
    1 swap 5808-11616 8
    2 overlap 0-24619 33.92
    3
    4
    5 /var 11617-17424 8
    6
    7

    Mount Remote filesystems
    F2_Continue

    Profile
    verify correct
    F2_Continue

    Reboot After Installation?

    [x] auto reboot

    F2_Begin Installation

    vxdiskadm@gmail.com
    its time that keeps things from happening all at once !

  6. Re: Lost password, dead disk, and networking booting...

    Paul Johnson wrote:

    > probe-scsi (shows nothing)
    > probe-scsi-all (shows one SBus device; I suspect there should be 2)
    > test-scsi (just does a quick DMA fill, doesn't report a problem)
    > boot disk (either shows 'can't open boot device', or hangs up)
    > boot scsi (shows 'boot load failed')

    Hi, have you tried to verify that the disk alias is the correct alias
    for your bootable disk? You can see it typing at prompt ok> devalias
    Otherwise the last alternative is make a jumpstart server with another
    server.

    Bye

    Fabrizio

+ Reply to Thread