big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version - SUN

This is a discussion on big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version - SUN ; I installed the trial version of StarOffice 8 onto my SPARC machine, and then I decided I would buy a license as the trial version is set to expire in a few days. I went to http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp and chose the ...

  1. big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version

    I installed the trial version of StarOffice 8 onto my SPARC machine,
    and then I decided I would buy a license as the trial version is set to
    expire in a few days.

    I went to http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp and chose
    the option to upgrade a trial version and paid my $70.

    So now I have my brand new Serial Number, but no one at Sun can tell me
    how to use this to upgrade my trial version so it won't expire. I
    couldn't find any menu option in SO that would allow me to do this.

    The Sun Store people tell me they just sell it, they have no idea what
    to do with it and told me to call Sun Support. I called them but they
    said they don't support StarOffice and I need to call Sun Licensing.
    Sun Licensing says this isn't something they handle either and directed
    me to StarOffice support in Scotland.

    The guy in Scotland (he tells me their support "office" consists of
    just him) is very nice and wants to be helpful, but he can't find an
    answer to my question either.

    I got back in contact with the Sun Store people and their only
    suggestion is to spend another $70 to buy the download of the full
    edition. I don't think so.

    I am so frustrated! Does anyone have any idea either how to apply this
    license to my SO installation or who I might contact at Sun that can do
    something other than tell me it's not their problem?

    Thanks...

  2. Re: big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version

    Jim Gottlieb wrote:
    > I installed the trial version of StarOffice 8 onto my SPARC machine,
    > and then I decided I would buy a license as the trial version is set to
    > expire in a few days.
    >
    > I went to http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp and chose
    > the option to upgrade a trial version and paid my $70.
    >
    > So now I have my brand new Serial Number, but no one at Sun can tell me
    > how to use this to upgrade my trial version so it won't expire. I
    > couldn't find any menu option in SO that would allow me to do this.
    >
    > The Sun Store people tell me they just sell it, they have no idea what
    > to do with it and told me to call Sun Support. I called them but they
    > said they don't support StarOffice and I need to call Sun Licensing.
    > Sun Licensing says this isn't something they handle either and directed
    > me to StarOffice support in Scotland.
    >
    > The guy in Scotland (he tells me their support "office" consists of
    > just him) is very nice and wants to be helpful, but he can't find an
    > answer to my question either.
    >
    > I got back in contact with the Sun Store people and their only
    > suggestion is to spend another $70 to buy the download of the full
    > edition. I don't think so.
    >
    > I am so frustrated! Does anyone have any idea either how to apply this
    > license to my SO installation or who I might contact at Sun that can do
    > something other than tell me it's not their problem?
    >
    > Thanks...

    I share your frustrations. For all of Sun's "rightsizing", they far
    too often still can't seem to pull their heads out...yours is one of
    those cases.

    I may be completely wrong, but I believe that there's nothing magic
    about the serial number you received. The trial version is the real
    version - having an actual serial number is just a Sun formality
    that only becomes relevant if you call for support.

    Anyone please feel free to correct any misunderstandings I may have.

    Dave

  3. Re: big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version

    Jim Gottlieb wrote:
    > I installed the trial version of StarOffice 8 onto my SPARC machine,
    > and then I decided I would buy a license as the trial version is set to
    > expire in a few days.
    >
    > I went to http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/get.jsp and chose
    > the option to upgrade a trial version and paid my $70.
    >
    > So now I have my brand new Serial Number, but no one at Sun can tell me
    > how to use this to upgrade my trial version so it won't expire. I
    > couldn't find any menu option in SO that would allow me to do this.
    >
    > The Sun Store people tell me they just sell it, they have no idea what
    > to do with it and told me to call Sun Support. I called them but they
    > said they don't support StarOffice and I need to call Sun Licensing.
    > Sun Licensing says this isn't something they handle either and directed
    > me to StarOffice support in Scotland.
    >
    > The guy in Scotland (he tells me their support "office" consists of
    > just him) is very nice and wants to be helpful, but he can't find an
    > answer to my question either.
    >
    > I got back in contact with the Sun Store people and their only
    > suggestion is to spend another $70 to buy the download of the full
    > edition. I don't think so.
    >
    > I am so frustrated! Does anyone have any idea either how to apply this
    > license to my SO installation or who I might contact at Sun that can do
    > something other than tell me it's not their problem?
    >
    > Thanks...

    You are supposed to install the serial number in a dialoge box from
    one of the pulldown menus, maybe it was the About or Help menu.....

    I have done it my self but is 300 miles away from my
    sparc WS and copies of my documentation this week...

    //Lars

  4. Re: big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version (Solved)

    In article <1135717378.049995.103550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    tunla wrote:

    >You are supposed to install the serial number in a dialoge box from
    >one of the pulldown menus, maybe it was the About or Help menu.....

    Now I feel stupid. Since the Help->Registration... just started a browser
    window, I guess I assumed Help->Purchase StarOffice... did the same.

    But you were right. It let me enter the serial number to unlock it.

    Funny thing is that no one at Sun seemed to know this.

    Thanks a lot!

  5. Re: big Sun runaround: upgrading SO trial version (Solved)

    Jim Gottlieb wrote:
    > In article <1135717378.049995.103550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    > tunla wrote:
    >
    > >You are supposed to install the serial number in a dialoge box from
    > >one of the pulldown menus, maybe it was the About or Help menu.....

    > Now I feel stupid. Since the Help->Registration... just started a browser
    > window, I guess I assumed Help->Purchase StarOffice... did the same.
    >
    > But you were right. It let me enter the serial number to unlock it.
    >
    > Funny thing is that no one at Sun seemed to know this.

    The Purchase StarOffice Menu option is not visable on a non-trial
    copy of the product.

    > Thanks a lot!

+ Reply to Thread