Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system. - SUN

This is a discussion on Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system. - SUN ; I've installed the GPIB driver version 2.3 for Solaris on a Sun Ultra 80 running Solaris 10. I've installed the driver (for the same CD) under Solaris 9 on the same machine before with no hassle, but not on Solaris ...

  1. Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system.

    I've installed the GPIB driver version 2.3 for Solaris on a Sun Ultra 80
    running Solaris 10. I've installed the driver (for the same CD) under
    Solaris 9 on the same machine before with no hassle, but not on Solaris
    10.

    It would appear to install properly:

    sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % pkginfo -l NIpcigpib
    PKGINST: NIpcigpib
    NAME: NI-488.2 Software for Solaris 2.x PCI-GPIB
    CATEGORY: system
    ARCH: sparc
    VERSION: 2.3
    BASEDIR: /opt/NICgpib
    VENDOR: National Instruments Corp.
    DESC: PCI-GPIB Software for Sun SPARC/Ultra platforms running
    Solaris 2.x
    PSTAMP: 06/27/03
    INSTDATE: Dec 26 2005 10:35
    HOTLINE: (512) 795-8248
    STATUS: completely installed
    FILES: 36 installed pathnames
    2 shared pathnames
    1 directories
    26 executables
    1 setuid/setgid executables
    4679 blocks used (approx)

    But when I try to run a test program, it fails to find the file
    /dev/gpib. Any programs that I have written myself fail to run.

    sparrow /usr/bin % ./ibtsta

    National Instruments GPIB Software Installation Test, Part A
    Copyright (c) 1999 National Instruments Corp. Version 1.5
    All rights reserved.

    Part A of this test:

    - checks the installation and operation of the GPIB
    software.

    - requires no interaction with the user.

    - assumes there is a GPIB board in your system,
    with special files /dev/gpib and /dev/gpib0.

    - takes only a few seconds to complete.

    *** DISCONNECT ALL GPIB CABLES FROM THE BOARD 'gpib0' ***

    Press return to begin tests:

    Checking driver installation...

    The special file /dev/gpib cannot be found.

    Sorry, the test cannot continue.
    Please refer to the Getting Started guide to correct any
    problems, then run this test again.

    Any ideas? I know, look in the "Getting Started Guide" - nearly 300
    pages of it! A quick look did not find the problem. A google did not
    either.

    --
    Dave K

  2. Re: Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system.

    Dave wrote:
    > I've installed the GPIB driver version 2.3 for Solaris on a Sun Ultra 80
    > running Solaris 10. I've installed the driver (for the same CD) under
    > Solaris 9 on the same machine before with no hassle, but not on Solaris 10.
    >

    > The special file /dev/gpib cannot be found.
    >
    > Sorry, the test cannot continue.
    > Please refer to the Getting Started guide to correct any
    > problems, then run this test again.

    David,

    I don't have a PCI-GPIB card running under solaris
    but rather some of the GPIB-Enet devices so the
    following is just a guess.

    Looks like maybe the devices for the hardware were
    not created during the install.

    Did the installation run devfsadm or add_drv? If not,
    you might have to run devfsadm or add_drv manually or
    possibly do a reconfiguration reboot to attach the
    driver to the hardware instance. What does prtconf -D
    show for a driver for the hardware?

    Stuart

  3. Re: Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system.

    Stuart Biggar wrote:

    > David,
    >
    > I don't have a PCI-GPIB card running under solaris
    > but rather some of the GPIB-Enet devices so the
    > following is just a guess.

    Well thanks for replying Stuart.

    > Looks like maybe the devices for the hardware were
    > not created during the install.

    > Did the installation run devfsadm or add_drv?

    Not to my knowledge, but it may not have been too obvious even if it
    did. It was installed by the Soalaris pkgadd command.

    > If not,
    > you might have to run devfsadm or add_drv manually

    Just tried that.

    > or
    > possibly do a reconfiguration reboot to attach the
    > driver to the hardware instance.

    When I installed the driver before (on the same machine, from the same
    Labview CD), there was no need to do a boot -r, which surpised me a lot.
    When the machine booted though, there was always some message about the
    GPIB drivers. It was probably them loading, but I can't recall exactly.
    I would have the messages on a tape, but unless there is likely to be
    much gaine

    But now nothing. My guess is that it is a Solaris 10 issue. Quite a few
    progams seem to check the version number and break when 10 comes back,
    rather than the 7, 8 or 9 they were expecting.

    > What does prtconf -D
    > show for a driver for the hardware?

    I don't think there is one - but perhaps I'm missing it. See results
    below. The only possible is the driver 'ib' but I'm cluthing at straws,
    given the GPIB commands start 'ib'.

    sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % prtconf -D
    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u
    Memory size: 4096 Megabytes
    System Peripherals (Software Nodes):

    SUNW,Ultra-80 (driver name: rootnex)
    scsi_vhci, instance #0 (driver name: scsi_vhci)
    packages
    terminal-emulator
    deblocker
    obp-tftp
    disk-label
    SUNW,builtin-drivers
    sun-keyboard
    ufs-file-system
    chosen
    openprom
    client-services
    options, instance #0 (driver name: options)
    aliases
    memory
    virtual-memory
    pci, instance #0 (driver name: pcipsy)
    ebus, instance #0 (driver name: ebus)
    auxio
    power, instance #0 (driver name: power)
    SUNW,pll
    sc
    se, instance #0 (driver name: se)
    su, instance #0 (driver name: su)
    su, instance #1 (driver name: su)
    ecpp, instance #0 (driver name: ecpp)
    fdthree (driver name: fd)
    eeprom
    flashprom
    SUNW,CS4231, instance #0 (driver name: audiocs)
    network, instance #0 (driver name: hme)
    scsi, instance #0 (driver name: glm)
    disk (driver name: sd)
    tape (driver name: st)
    sd, instance #3 (driver name: sd)
    sd, instance #0 (driver name: sd)
    sd, instance #6 (driver name: sd)
    scsi, instance #1 (driver name: glm)
    disk (driver name: sd)
    tape (driver name: st)
    sd, instance #27 (driver name: sd)
    sd, instance #30 (driver name: sd)
    st, instance #20 (driver name: st)
    scsi, instance #2 (driver name: glm)
    disk (driver name: sd)
    tape (driver name: st)
    pci108e,7063
    pci, instance #1 (driver name: pcipsy)
    pci1093,c801, instance #0 (driver name: ib)
    counter-timer
    SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
    SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
    SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
    SUNW,UltraSPARC-II
    SUNW,ffb, instance #0 (driver name: ffb)
    pseudo, instance #0 (driver name: pseudo)

    --
    Dave K

  4. Re: Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system.

    Stuart Biggar wrote:
    > or
    > possibly do a reconfiguration reboot to attach the
    > driver to the hardware instance. What does prtconf -D
    > show for a driver for the hardware?

    I should have added I just tried a boot -r too, with no change. No
    message about drivers during boot process and no /dev/gpib*

    --
    Dave K

  5. Re: Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system.

    Dave wrote:

    > pci, instance #1 (driver name: pcipsy)
    > pci1093,c801, instance #0 (driver name: ib)
    > counter-timer

    Dave,

    Looking at the PCI ID Repository, 1093,c801 corresponds
    to a National Instruments PCI-GPIB card. Looks like the
    ib driver attached to the hardware.

    I wonder if the install failed to create /dev/gpib because
    of some version mismatch. I'm at my limit for helping at
    this point. I have been able to fix some installations for
    other things by editing the install scripts but that may
    not be easy. You might be able to copy the installation
    package(s) to the hard disk, edit anything version sensitive,
    and then pkgrm the failed package and pkgadd the modified
    package.

    One other thing I remember from installing the GPIB-Enet.
    Certain files that the driver uses were not created until
    the root user ran a configuration program which did things
    like identify the various GPIB devices that were connected
    to the interface and name them and set up the number of
    GPIB-ENET devices that were to be used and name them and
    so on. This was all with the driver for Solaris 8 and ENET
    and maybe things are completely different for the PCI-GPIB.
    We also had to configure a particular system variable using
    ndd to get the driver to work:

    /usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_sack_permitted 0

    We have a script in rc2.d to do that when starting and to
    reset it on stop.

    Stuart

  6. Re: Problem installing GPIB driver on UNIX system.

    Stuart Biggar wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> pci, instance #1 (driver name: pcipsy)
    >> pci1093,c801, instance #0 (driver name: ib)
    >> counter-timer

    > Dave,
    >
    > Looking at the PCI ID Repository, 1093,c801 corresponds
    > to a National Instruments PCI-GPIB card. Looks like the
    > ib driver attached to the hardware.

    Thanks for that. You give me some hope.

    > I wonder if the install failed to create /dev/gpib because
    > of some version mismatch.

    I've done through the pre and post install scripts which are part of the
    package and so nothing where it tries to get the version number of the OS.

    > One other thing I remember from installing the GPIB-Enet.
    > Certain files that the driver uses were not created until
    > the root user ran a configuration program which did things
    > like identify the various GPIB devices that were connected
    > to the interface and name them and set up the number of
    > GPIB-ENET devices that were to be used and name them and
    > so on.

    I installed this as root. But last time I installed it, which was on
    Solaris 9, nothing like that was needed. No changes to config files, no
    need to reboot, nothing to set with ndd etc. It was a real breeze.

    If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate them. I have BTW posted this
    to a National Instruments forum now.

    http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/messag...ssage.id=15109

    --
    Dave K