    I've got a connection via the serial port and tip OK, but getting a
    trouble to bring it to the OK prompt.

    backup-webserver # tip hardwirea
    connected
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    ~#
    The following connections are open:
    #0 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 5/6)
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet

    I can't seem to get this machine to the OK prompt via tip. I've never
    had a problem before, but I have just added a non-Sun disk that will not
    have been labeled, as it unlikly to ever have been used for Solaris before.

    Any ideas?

    I'm actually doing

    Sun#0 -> ssh -> Sun#1 -> tip -> Sun#2

    --
    Dave K

  2. Re: tip problem: The following connections are open:

    Dave wrote:
    > I've Sun #1 hooked up to Sun #2 and want to get console access to #2.
    > I've got a connection via the serial port and tip OK, but getting a
    > trouble to bring it to the OK prompt.
    >
    > backup-webserver # tip hardwirea
    > connected
    > Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    > Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    > ~#
    > The following connections are open:
    > #0 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 5/6)
    > Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    > Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    >

    > I can't seem to get this machine to the OK prompt via tip. I've never
    > had a problem before, but I have just added a non-Sun disk that will not
    > have been labeled, as it unlikly to ever have been used for Solaris before.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > I'm actually doing
    >
    > Sun#0 -> ssh -> Sun#1 -> tip -> Sun#2

    Solved - should have used my brain cells a bit more Googled it. There
    would appear to be a bug in ssh, so that is causing the problem, so I
    swiched to telnet and the problem went away.

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: tip problem: The following connections are open:

    Dave wrote:

    > > I'm actually doing
    > > Sun#0 -> ssh -> Sun#1 -> tip -> Sun#2

    > Solved - should have used my brain cells a bit more Googled it. There
    > would appear to be a bug in ssh, so that is causing the problem, so I
    > swiched to telnet and the problem went away.

    Im betting there was no bug. More like you not reading man pages..?
    I suspect that ssh -e none would get the desired effect.
    The ~ character is special in both programs. First come first served!

  4. Re: tip problem: The following connections are open:

    gerryt@ wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >

    >>>I'm actually doing
    >>>Sun#0 -> ssh -> Sun#1 -> tip -> Sun#2

    >>Solved - should have used my brain cells a bit more Googled it. There
    >>would appear to be a bug in ssh, so that is causing the problem, so I
    >>swiched to telnet and the problem went away.

    > Im betting there was no bug.

    I found a reference on the to the particular errror message, where a
    Solaris patch cured it.

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/searchproxy/...=1-26-101784-1

    but looking closer, it would apprear that was for non-interactive ssh
    sessions.

    > More like you not reading man pages..?
    > I suspect that ssh -e none would get the desired effect.

    I've not tried that. I can't say I will later either, as I just
    installed Solaris 10 on the machine.

    > The ~ character is special in both programs. First come first served!

    Could be, I have some distant recollection of issues before with ssh and
    special characters.

    --
    Dave K

  5. Re: tip problem: The following connections are open:

    Dave wrote:

    > Sun#0 -> ssh -> Sun#1 -> tip -> Sun#2

    Don't you just need ~~# to "hand over" the BREAK to tip?

  6. Re: tip problem: The following connections are open:

    Sven Mascheck wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >

    >>Sun#0 -> ssh -> Sun#1 -> tip -> Sun#2

    > Don't you just need ~~# to "hand over" the BREAK to tip?

    Pehaps - the OS has been installed now, so I'm not keen to send a break
    now.

    --
    Dave K