Question about containers - SUN

This is a discussion on Question about containers - SUN ; Hi there, I have a Ultra5 running Solaris 10; so I began to play around with containers. That's great and all is running fine, but I have the following question: Each zone has its own /etc, its own IP etc. ...

  1. Question about containers

    Hi there,

    I have a Ultra5 running Solaris 10; so I began to play
    around with containers. That's great and all is running
    fine, but I have the following question:

    Each zone has its own /etc, its own IP etc.
    Do I have to add each user within each zone?
    This seems very difficult to me, eg. if the user would
    change his password.

    And my zone cannot inherit /etc from the global zone
    because of the different IPs, can it?

    Can anyone please give me a hint - or a link where I can
    RTFM myself?

    Marianne

    --
    BOFH excuse #100:

    IRQ dropout

  2. Re: Question about containers

    Marianne Spiller writes:
    > Each zone has its own /etc, its own IP etc.
    > Do I have to add each user within each zone?
    > This seems very difficult to me, eg. if the user would
    > change his password.

    You can manage them in the same way you would multiple systems -- via
    NIS, NIS+, or LDAP.

    > And my zone cannot inherit /etc from the global zone
    > because of the different IPs, can it?

    It's not because of the different IP addresses, but rather because you
    wouldn't be able to control the operation of the non-global zone if it
    shared /etc with the global zone.

    You could, if you wanted, set up lofs mounts from inside zonecfg (in
    the global zone, of course) using "add fs" to inherit /etc/passwd and
    related files from the global zone. I think that'd be a bit weird,
    but it should work. The better answer is to set up a regular
    directory server.

    In fact, the environment inside non-global zones doesn't have the
    ability to configure IP addresses at all, so those addresses don't
    come from /etc or anywhere else inside the zone. They can't.
    Instead, the zoneadmd process, running in the global zone, configures
    the non-global zone IP addresses on behalf of the zone. It reads the
    addresses from the (private, undocumented) /etc/zones/ database, which
    is administered via zonecfg.

    You can configure interface aliases manually into a non-global zone,
    if you like, by using the ifconfig "zone" keyword. (The zeroth alias
    is special, because you can't yet put an entire physical interface
    into a zone. Only address aliases can go into a zone.)

    > Can anyone please give me a hint - or a link where I can
    > RTFM myself?

    I think there are several zone-related documents on docs.sun.com and
    on bigadmin. Have you looked there?

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network