meta device sys rebuild - SUN

This is a discussion on meta device sys rebuild - SUN ; I am rebuilding a Sunfire v240 system that had corrupt data on its boot disks. This server is "server b" of an identical two server configuration. Each server has 4 x 72Gb disks, and two of them are boot disks. ...

  1. meta device sys rebuild

    I am rebuilding a Sunfire v240 system that had corrupt data on its boot
    disks. This server is "server b" of an identical two server
    configuration. Each server has 4 x 72Gb disks, and two of them are
    boot disks. Each server has a primary boot and a mirror boot disk
    (disk0 and disk1). System is running Solaris 10.

    Originally "server b" would not boot and Sun hardware support came to
    our site and diagnosed a failed disk. He said corrupt data had been
    copied over to the mirror boot disk making system unbootable. I
    replaced primary boot drive and installed Sol 9 (as it uses only 2
    disks). My plan was to partition mirror boot drive on "server b" to
    match our "server a" and ufsdump/ufsrestore over the network to the
    mounted mirror boot partitions on "server b". Once I had mirror boot
    disk bootable, I would boot from it and dd from one disk to the other.

    Once system restore was complete, I modified the vfstab on mounted
    mirror drive, /mnt/etc/vfstab, to point to correct disk and installed
    bootblk. I tried to boot from disk1 and the system failed to boot and
    panicked rebooting from primary boot disk. I have done some
    investigation and I think it has to do with the meta devices.

    boot message:

    Cannot open mirrored root device, error 19
    Cannot remount root on /pseudo/md@0:0,0,blk fstype ufs

    panic[cpu1]/thread=180e000: vfs_mountroot: cannot remount root

    My question is how do I go about removing all reference to meta-devices
    and have it boot from mirror. Or should I be trying to set up meta
    devices and let OS think that primary boot has failed, thus forcing
    server to boot from mirror drive. Which is this the correct path to
    head down?

    Any help appreciated,

    Mike Dundas

  2. Re: meta device sys rebuild

    eeb4u@hotmail.com wrote:
    > boot message:
    >
    > Cannot open mirrored root device, error 19
    > Cannot remount root on /pseudo/md@0:0,0,blk fstype ufs
    >
    > panic[cpu1]/thread=180e000: vfs_mountroot: cannot remount root
    >
    > My question is how do I go about removing all reference to meta-devices
    > and have it boot from mirror.

    Hi, you must startup a single user mode with your Solaris CD with:

    ok> boot cdrom -s

    than you must mount the root filesystem and modify the /etc/system for
    delete all entry of disk suite:

    rootdev:/pseudo/md@0:0,100,blk

    this is the line that you must to delete.

    Bye

    Fabrizio I.

+ Reply to Thread