Repartition Slice 0 - Moving to DVD - SUN

This is a discussion on Repartition Slice 0 - Moving to DVD - SUN ; I am working on a project to move our product media from CDs to DVD. We currently use 3 CDs as part of our installation. CD1 and CD2 - Solaris 9 OS CDs. CD3 - Our product application CD. Our ...

  1. Repartition Slice 0 - Moving to DVD

    I am working on a project to move our product media from CDs to DVD. We

    currently use 3 CDs as part of our installation.

    CD1 and CD2 - Solaris 9 OS CDs.
    CD3 - Our product application CD.

    Our installation process works this way...

    1) We first install Solaris 9 (modified CD1 to be self-bootable) using
    CD1 and CD2
    2) Then we insert the CD3 (App CD) to install our applications.

    I am trying to work on moving all the 3 CD contents to a DVD and here
    is what I have gotten so far.

    1) I took the Solaris 9 DVD and created slice 0 - slice 5 by using
    mkisofs/dd etc. In essence I have created a modified ISO that can boot
    Solaris 9.

    2) I need to figure out a way of adding my application contents to the
    DVD. The slice 0 that I extracted from the Solaris 9 DVD does not seem
    to have enough room to hold my application data (after removing the
    unwanted contents such as 1of2_CDDoc etc).

    I need suggestions on how I can expand the size of slice 0 (I will have

    to re-create the VTOC and the starting cylinder etc of slices 1 - 5)
    and then put in my app contents as part of slice 0. After that I want
    to recreate the ISO. The net result would be a DVD that will install
    Solaris 9 and also my application. If slice 0 is not the place to put
    this, could I resize slice 5 to add my app data ?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Venkat

  2. Re: Repartition Slice 0 - Moving to DVD

    venkatec@comcast.net wrote on 2005-12-19 17:18:

    > I need suggestions on how I can expand the size of slice 0 (I will have
    > to re-create the VTOC and the starting cylinder etc of slices 1 - 5)
    > and then put in my app contents as part of slice 0. After that I want
    > to recreate the ISO. The net result would be a DVD that will install
    > Solaris 9 and also my application. If slice 0 is not the place to put
    > this, could I resize slice 5 to add my app data ?

    If you have used the standard method to extract the Solaris slices, then
    slice 0 is copied to your harddisk as regular files into a separate
    directory. You should then delete whatever you don't need in this
    directory, copy your application in place in the directory, recalculate
    the vtoc as you describe and create the dvd image (which includes slices
    0-5). When you have done that, check the size of the resulting image. If
    it is less than ca 4.7GB, then you can burn the whole thing onto a DVD
    and you're done. If not, and you cannot delete any other parts of
    Solaris or your app, you need more than one DVD.

    --
    - Erlend Leganger

  3. Re: Repartition Slice 0 - Moving to DVD

    venkatec@comcast.net wrote:
    > I am trying to work on moving all the 3 CD contents to a DVD and here
    > is what I have gotten so far.
    > 1) I took the Solaris 9 DVD and created slice 0 - slice 5 by using
    > mkisofs/dd etc. In essence I have created a modified ISO that can boot
    > Solaris 9.
    > 2) I need to figure out a way of adding my application contents to the
    > DVD. The slice 0 that I extracted from the Solaris 9 DVD does not seem
    > to have enough room to hold my application data (after removing the
    > unwanted contents such as 1of2_CDDoc etc).

    This might not be an otpion - but it is really easy to just download
    the ISO segments on a Windoze/Mac machine, concat them and burn the
    DVD there.

    That's how I've been doing it.

    -Mike

+ Reply to Thread