How Get Serial Number? - SUN

This is a discussion on How Get Serial Number? - SUN ; Can somebody tell me how I would remotely get the serial number of a Sun-Fire-280R running Solaris 5.8, from the command line? Thanks. teeder44...

  1. How Get Serial Number?

    Can somebody tell me how I would remotely get the serial number of a
    Sun-Fire-280R running Solaris 5.8, from the command line?

    Thanks.

    teeder44

  2. Re: How Get Serial Number?

    In article <1134752086.382639.85380@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    "teeder44" wrote:

    > Can somebody tell me how I would remotely get the serial number of a
    > Sun-Fire-280R running Solaris 5.8, from the command line?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > teeder44

    Answered at length in another newsgroup. Short answer: you can't--it's
    not in any machine readable format available to a machine.

    And, no, the hostid isn't same thing. The serial # is printed on the
    back of the unit and is also on the paperwork you got when you received
    the unit from SUN.

  3. Re: How Get Serial Number?

    Thanks DeeDee.

+ Reply to Thread