Problem with serial ports on SS20, Solaris 2.6 - SUN

This is a discussion on Problem with serial ports on SS20, Solaris 2.6 - SUN ; Dear Experts, for two days now I am trying to bring the serial ports of my SS20 up - without success: My machine is SS20, dual Ross RT626 (200M), SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-39, 512MB Memory, VSIMM (cgfourteen0), SunVideo, SunPC ...

  1. Problem with serial ports on SS20, Solaris 2.6

    Dear Experts,

    for two days now I am trying to bring the serial
    ports of my SS20 up - without success:

    My machine is SS20, dual Ross RT626 (200M),
    SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-39,
    512MB Memory, VSIMM (cgfourteen0), SunVideo,
    SunPC and BBK-S4 (transputer board), all
    2.6_Recommended patches installed.

    The phenomenon is as follows: E.g. serial
    port A is OK as can be verified by disconnecting
    kbd -> console appears on port A and works
    well. Connecting kbd and and than following the
    instructions in e.g. "Celeste's Tutorial on Solaris
    2.x Modems & Terminals" causes ALL PROGRAMS TO HANG
    DURING OPENING the serial port. I.e. kermit, minicom
    and tip freeze upon opening the port and one has
    to reboot the machine to kill the process.

    The last lines of truss look like:

    > resolvepath("/dev/cua/a", "/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 1024) = 30
    > stat("/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 0xEFFFD850) = 0
    > getpid() = 300 [299]
    > stat("/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 0xEFFFDCE8) = 0
    > readlink("/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 0x0025A794, 1024) Err#22 EINVAL
    > creat("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300", 0444) = 5
    > write(5, " 3 0 0\n", 11) = 11
    > close(5) = 0
    > chmod("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300", 0444) = 0
    > link("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300", "/var/spool/locks/LK.032.029.131072") = 0
    > unlink("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300") = 0

    I already tried lot of different cables (even
    followed the tip to apply carrier detect), checked
    that all relevant patches (e.g. 110990-02) are applied.
    Tried with all different combinations of zsmon on/off,
    ttymon killed, started, restarted. The settings in
    the eeprom are the following (tried several combinations,
    too):

    > ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
    > ttyb-ignore-cd=true
    > ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
    > ttya-ignore-cd=true
    > ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
    > ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

    The machine does not apply DTR to the connected device.
    Feeding the serial port with different signals (DSR, CTS,
    CD) does not change the behaviour.

    Any hints out there what I can try??

    Thanks,

    Erik.

  2. Re: Problem with serial ports on SS20, Solaris 2.6

    Erik Baigar wrote:
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > for two days now I am trying to bring the serial
    > ports of my SS20 up - without success:
    >
    > My machine is SS20, dual Ross RT626 (200M),
    > SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-39,
    > 512MB Memory, VSIMM (cgfourteen0), SunVideo,
    > SunPC and BBK-S4 (transputer board), all
    > 2.6_Recommended patches installed.
    >
    > The phenomenon is as follows: E.g. serial
    > port A is OK as can be verified by disconnecting
    > kbd -> console appears on port A and works
    > well. Connecting kbd and and than following the
    > instructions in e.g. "Celeste's Tutorial on Solaris
    > 2.x Modems & Terminals" causes ALL PROGRAMS TO HANG
    > DURING OPENING the serial port. I.e. kermit, minicom
    > and tip freeze upon opening the port and one has
    > to reboot the machine to kill the process.
    >
    > The last lines of truss look like:
    >

    >>resolvepath("/dev/cua/a", "/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 1024) = 30
    >>stat("/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 0xEFFFD850) = 0
    >>getpid() = 300 [299]
    >>stat("/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 0xEFFFDCE8) = 0
    >>readlink("/devices/obio/zs@0,100000:a,cu", 0x0025A794, 1024) Err#22 EINVAL
    >>creat("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300", 0444) = 5
    >>write(5, " 3 0 0\n", 11) = 11
    >>close(5) = 0
    >>chmod("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300", 0444) = 0
    >>link("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300", "/var/spool/locks/LK.032.029.131072") = 0
    >>unlink("/var/spool/locks/LTMP.00300") = 0

    > I already tried lot of different cables (even
    > followed the tip to apply carrier detect), checked
    > that all relevant patches (e.g. 110990-02) are applied.
    > Tried with all different combinations of zsmon on/off,
    > ttymon killed, started, restarted. The settings in
    > the eeprom are the following (tried several combinations,
    > too):
    >

    >>ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
    >>ttyb-ignore-cd=true
    >>ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
    >>ttya-ignore-cd=true
    >>ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
    >>ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

    > The machine does not apply DTR to the connected device.
    > Feeding the serial port with different signals (DSR, CTS,
    > CD) does not change the behaviour.
    >
    > Any hints out there what I can try??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Erik.

    Erik
    vague recolections of jumpers on the motherboard for 232/422
    could this be remotly related to you problem.
    cant believe your still running supersparc these days
    have a couple of ross 180's myself but dont ever switch them on unlesss
    the tempreture goes below 0. they make a great electic heater
    anyhow if its not the 232/422 jumpers on the MB then i can only guess
    its time to upgrade to an ultra 2, as they are knocking around realy
    chap nowadays.
    regards peter

  3. Re: Problem with serial ports on SS20, Solaris 2.6

    peter wrote:
    > Erik
    > vague recolections of jumpers on the motherboard for 232/422
    > could this be remotly related to you problem.

    Hi Peter,

    thanks for this tip - I will disassemble the machine tomorrow
    and try this.

    > cant believe your still running supersparc these days
    > have a couple of ross 180's myself but dont ever switch them on unlesss
    > the tempreture goes below 0. they make a great electic heater
    > anyhow if its not the 232/422 jumpers on the MB then i can only guess
    > its time to upgrade to an ultra 2, as they are knocking around realy
    > chap nowadays.

    The reason for me running this machine is the sbus. Since I
    use the SunVideo for connecting a camera, a BBK-S4 to
    communicate with transputer-hardware and a gpib card for
    controlling my hardware test equipment. The only thing I
    am misssing is the possibility to "record" the picture from
    an oscilloscope via the RS232C... All these cards used
    are sbus. Getting an Ultra with the same features is far
    from beeing easy - - unfortunately...

    Best regards,

    Erik.

  4. Re: Problem with serial ports on SS20, Solaris 2.6

    Erik Baigar wrote:

    > peter wrote:
    > > Erik
    > > vague recolections of jumpers on the motherboard for 232/422
    > > could this be remotly related to you problem.

    Somehow I discovered, that the serial ports are OK,
    if the machine has been restarted with "reboot -- -r".
    So I assume that it is some kind of initialization
    probpem or a conflict with SunPC, SunVideo or BBK-S4.

    Now knowing, that I have to restart with this
    option after normal boot up helps as work-around...

+ Reply to Thread