sdm vs wget - SUN

This is a discussion on sdm vs wget - SUN ; Hi all, yesterday, I was at home and saw that the new express edition is available. So I wanted to download it to a host at work. At home I only have a slow connection, so redirecting X is not ...

  1. sdm vs wget

    Hi all,

    yesterday, I was at home and saw that the new express edition is
    available. So I wanted to download it to a host at work. At home
    I only have a slow connection, so redirecting X is not an option.
    But after pasting the link address from my webbrowser at home,
    I had to find out that wget will only generate empty files with
    names that are garbage.

    So when downloading packages from sun.com one can either use the
    webbrowser or Sun's download manager sdm. But if one wants to download
    the package to a different host on a different network, one is out of
    luck, if you cannot set the DISPLAY of the host to the terminal
    you are working at. In these cases being able to use wget would be
    a great benefit. Does anybody has an idea how to achieve this?

    Now I used sdm to start the download. But man! This thing is really
    a catastrophy concerning usability! Have you ever tried to select
    a new target directory for downloads? You cannot enter a part
    of the path to change the view to this directory. After starting
    the download the "add" button is disabled. IMHO, it could be a lot
    better, if some usability test were done. However I would prefer
    wget anyway...

    Any ideas?

    Tom

  2. Re: sdm vs wget

    Thomas Maier-Komor writes:
    > yesterday, I was at home and saw that the new express edition is
    > available. So I wanted to download it to a host at work. At home
    > I only have a slow connection, so redirecting X is not an option.
    > But after pasting the link address from my webbrowser at home,
    > I had to find out that wget will only generate empty files with
    > names that are garbage.
    >
    > So when downloading packages from sun.com one can either use the
    > webbrowser or Sun's download manager sdm. But if one wants to download
    > the package to a different host on a different network, one is out of
    > luck, if you cannot set the DISPLAY of the host to the terminal
    > you are working at. In these cases being able to use wget would be
    > a great benefit. Does anybody has an idea how to achieve this?

    Have you tried a text-based web browser like lynx or links?

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  3. Re: sdm vs wget

    In comp.unix.solaris Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > yesterday, I was at home and saw that the new express edition is
    > available. So I wanted to download it to a host at work. At home
    > I only have a slow connection, so redirecting X is not an option.
    > But after pasting the link address from my webbrowser at home,
    > I had to find out that wget will only generate empty files with
    > names that are garbage.

    I haven't tried 28, but I've always downloaded the previous Express ISOs
    with wget. Make sure you put the URL in quotes so that any shell
    characters in it don't get interpreted.

    I don't even run wget on the same machine as the browser. I run that on
    my laptop, copy the link, then paste it into a shell on a server that
    actually pulls it down.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  4. Re: sdm vs wget

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor writes:
    >
    >>yesterday, I was at home and saw that the new express edition is
    >>available. So I wanted to download it to a host at work. At home
    >>I only have a slow connection, so redirecting X is not an option.
    >>But after pasting the link address from my webbrowser at home,
    >>I had to find out that wget will only generate empty files with
    >>names that are garbage.
    >>
    >>So when downloading packages from sun.com one can either use the
    >>webbrowser or Sun's download manager sdm. But if one wants to download
    >>the package to a different host on a different network, one is out of
    >>luck, if you cannot set the DISPLAY of the host to the terminal
    >>you are working at. In these cases being able to use wget would be
    >>a great benefit. Does anybody has an idea how to achieve this?

    > Have you tried a text-based web browser like lynx or links?

    yes I tried lynx (companion-cd version), but it did not have
    ssl support. I will install blastwave's version and try if it supports
    ssl...

  5. Re: sdm vs wget

    Darren Dunham wrote:
    > In comp.unix.solaris Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>yesterday, I was at home and saw that the new express edition is
    >>available. So I wanted to download it to a host at work. At home
    >>I only have a slow connection, so redirecting X is not an option.
    >>But after pasting the link address from my webbrowser at home,
    >>I had to find out that wget will only generate empty files with
    >>names that are garbage.

    > I haven't tried 28, but I've always downloaded the previous Express ISOs
    > with wget. Make sure you put the URL in quotes so that any shell
    > characters in it don't get interpreted.
    >
    > I don't even run wget on the same machine as the browser. I run that on
    > my laptop, copy the link, then paste it into a shell on a server that
    > actually pulls it down.

    that is exactly what I was doing, too. I tried different kind of
    quotations (i.e. ' and "). Which version of wget did you use?

    Tom

  6. Re: sdm vs wget

    In comp.unix.solaris Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    >> I don't even run wget on the same machine as the browser. I run that on
    >> my laptop, copy the link, then paste it into a shell on a server that
    >> actually pulls it down.
    >>

    > that is exactly what I was doing, too. I tried different kind of
    > quotations (i.e. ' and "). Which version of wget did you use?

    Don't know. Most of the time it's not Solaris. It's cygwin on my
    laptop, or I'm pasting it into a remote Linux box with a lot of
    diskspace.

    However, here's an old line. I just tried it on S10 and it works okay
    (if you rename the local file...)

    % /usr/sfw/bin/wget -O sol-nv-b17-x86-v4-iso.zip "http://192.18.97.54/ECom/EComTicketServlet/BEGIN33AA66111FD370076BD046B6B75AE106/69030123/981278331/1/633014/632414/981278331/2ts+/westCoastFSEND/Sol-Express_7-05-x86-G-F/Sol-Express_7-05-x86-G-F:16/sol-nv-b17-x86-v4-iso.zip"

    On Solaris and cygwin I get a "file name too long" if I don't add the
    -O. I probably did that in the past and just didn't remember.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  7. Re: sdm vs wget

    In comp.unix.solaris Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    > yes I tried lynx (companion-cd version), but it did not have
    > ssl support. I will install blastwave's version and try if it supports
    > ssl...

    yes... but:

    You're better off compiling your own - a quick scan down blastwave's
    package list shows that generally they're a few years old (though
    from discussion on this list, I gather that the companion cd is
    similarly antiquated).

    btw, blastwave lists a long obsolete homepage for lynx.

    The current version of lynx is 2.8.5

    It's available at
    http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/
    2.8.6 Development & patches:
    http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  8. Re: sdm vs wget

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:51:21 +0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > You're better off compiling your own - a quick scan down blastwave's
    > package list shows that generally they're a few years old

    Blastwave offers lynx 2.8.5 which is the latest.
    http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/lynx

    > btw, blastwave lists a long obsolete homepage for lynx.
    >
    > The current version of lynx is 2.8.5
    >
    > It's available at
    > http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/
    > 2.8.6 Development & patches:
    > http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

    The link shown by blastwave works fine and references the above pages.
    http://lynx.browser.org/

  9. Re: sdm vs wget

    In article <11qbtfpd615sk91@corp.supernews.com>,
    Thomas Dickey writes:
    > In comp.unix.solaris Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >
    >> yes I tried lynx (companion-cd version), but it did not have
    >> ssl support. I will install blastwave's version and try if it supports
    >> ssl...

    > yes... but:
    >
    > You're better off compiling your own - a quick scan down blastwave's
    > package list shows that generally they're a few years old (though
    > from discussion on this list, I gather that the companion cd is
    > similarly antiquated).
    >
    > btw, blastwave lists a long obsolete homepage for lynx.
    >
    > The current version of lynx is 2.8.5
    >
    > It's available at
    > http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/
    > 2.8.6 Development & patches:
    > http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

    http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/sola...arc-CSW.pkg.gz

    (blastwave primary mirror) sure looks like 2.8.5 to me

    Don't let the "unstable" throw you - "stable" tends to be older rather than
    more stable.

    The STARTPAGE in the sample configuration file included is in fact
    http://lynx.isc.org/
    only the link on the package description on blastwave is still to
    http://lynx.browser.org/
    (and that still has links to the right place on it)

    Wouldn't kill 'em to relink it with their current openssl package, though.

    $ /opt/csw/bin/lynx -version
    Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1 (04 Feb 2004)
    libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g
    Built on solaris2.8 Feb 22 2004 22:56:21

    $ pkginfo -l CSWossl|grep VERSION
    VERSION: 0.9.8,REV=2005.11.02_rev=a

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

    Lasik/PRK theme music:
    "In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"

  10. Re: sdm vs wget

    In comp.unix.solaris James Lee wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:51:21 +0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

    >> You're better off compiling your own - a quick scan down blastwave's
    >> package list shows that generally they're a few years old

    > Blastwave offers lynx 2.8.5 which is the latest.
    > http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/lynx

    It's the latest release - marked "unstable" (odd - the Linux distributions
    pick the development versions for that). There's no indication on the
    blastwave page if it has the patches applied from

    ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/patches

    so - without being the package maintainer, I'd have no idea what is
    in the package.

    >> btw, blastwave lists a long obsolete homepage for lynx.
    >>
    >> The current version of lynx is 2.8.5
    >>
    >> It's available at
    >> http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/
    >> 2.8.6 Development & patches:
    >> http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

    > The link shown by blastwave works fine and references the above pages.
    > http://lynx.browser.org/

    lynx.browser.org is obsolete though - hasn't been associated with lynx
    development since the 90's, and usually does not point to the current
    release.

    When we moved from sol.slcc.edu to lynx.isc.org in 2000, that was the
    new homepage.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  11. Re: sdm vs wget

    Thomas Dickey wrote:

    >>>It's available at
    >>> http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/
    >>>2.8.6 Development & patches:
    >>> http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

    Can the 2.8.6 version upload files to an ftp site without using an
    external program?

    regards

    Bernd

    --
    Bernd Schemmer http://home.arcor.de/bnsmb/index.html

  12. Re: sdm vs wget

    In comp.unix.solaris Bernd.Schemmer wrote:

    > Can the 2.8.6 version upload files to an ftp site without using an
    > external program?

    no - I don't recall that anyone has asked about that before.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

+ Reply to Thread