Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ... - SUN

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ... - SUN ; Hi, When doing a Solaris 10 install, how long should the install process sit at the 'testing the upgrade profile, please wait' point? It's been like that for about 3 hours now, but the machine hasn't generated any errors in ...

  1. Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    Hi,

    When doing a Solaris 10 install, how long should the install process sit at the
    'testing the upgrade profile, please wait' point? It's been like that for about
    3 hours now, but the machine hasn't generated any errors in the install console
    window so I presume it's still ok. Will just leave it and see what happens in
    the meantime....

    Craig.

    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)

  2. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    Lion-O writes:

    >> When doing a Solaris 10 install, how long should the install process sit at
    >> the 'testing the upgrade profile, please wait' point? It's been like that for
    >> about 3 hours now

    >Well, 3 hours is *way* too long for that. That process shouldn't take longer
    >than a few minutes.

    That's what I thought so I decided to dump the idea of installing Solaris 10
    for now and rebooted the machine with the half-upgraded Solaris 9
    installation (from 12/03 to 9/05) so it can be put online again as it
    supports mail, web, news etc. services for a bunch of other people as well
    as me.

    I'll have to manually work out what packages off the Solaris 9 HW 9/05
    2-of-2 CD need to be installed to complete the HW 9/05 upgrade so that all
    the libraries, packages, etc. are up the same revision level since no matter
    what I have tried, the machine would not scan the second SOlaris 9 CD at all
    so I figured trying an install of Solaris 10 (off real CD's - not CD-R's)
    would be a better approach.

    Something's really screwed up but the machine runs fine 100 percent of time
    except for hardware failures like a problem with the main disk about 2 weeks
    ago that required me to do lots of hair-pulling trying to work out how to
    keep the old disk drive running without going into thermal shutdown long
    enough to pull the old filesystems off usine ufsdump/ufsrestore...

    Regards,

    Craig.
    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)
    Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world
    Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    Karl Schendel writes:

    >In article ,
    > Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

    >> When doing a Solaris 10 install, how long should the install process sit at
    >> the
    >> 'testing the upgrade profile, please wait' point? It's been like that for
    >> about
    >> 3 hours now, but the machine hasn't generated any errors in the install
    >> console
    >> window so I presume it's still ok. Will just leave it and see what happens in
    >> the meantime....

    >Your upgrade is busted. I got that too, although I never did figure out
    >what was causing it. After fooling with it for a day or so, I gave up
    >and just clean-installed Solaris 10. I would have liked to follow up to
    >see what the problem was, but I needed the machine up and running.
    >As best as I can recall, I decided that pfinstall was trying to run
    >something that was either missing or failing. I did get it past the
    >"testing upgrade profile" once and it blew up a little later, I think
    >that is when I decided to just install.

    Well I'm glad that it's not just me who's come across this problem - is
    anyone from Sun (Casper, etc.?) aware of it and perhaps have an idea what
    the actually cause is?

    I can't do a fresh Solaris 10 install since the machine is a full-time
    server and it was down much longer than it should have been already. I'll
    drop it to single-user really late one night when it's going to have minimal
    usage and manually install the packages that should have been pulled off the
    Solaris 9 HW 9/05 2-of-2 CD instead to at least give the machine the proper
    suite of matching package files for the last Solaris 9 release.

    Craig.
    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)
    Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world
    Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

  4. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    In comp.unix.solaris Craig Ian Dewick wrote:
    > I can't do a fresh Solaris 10 install since the machine is a full-time
    > server and it was down much longer than it should have been already.

    Isn't this pretty much exactly the situation LiveUpgrade is for? I've
    not used it -- we can typically get sufficient downtime to do upgrades
    every couple of years and for the 8>10 move we'll be making lots of
    other changes so LU probably won't be suitable -- but the docs certainly
    suggest that it could handle this well.

    Matt

  5. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    In comp.unix.solaris Matt McLeod wrote:
    > In comp.unix.solaris Craig Ian Dewick wrote:
    >> I can't do a fresh Solaris 10 install since the machine is a full-time
    >> server and it was down much longer than it should have been already.

    > Isn't this pretty much exactly the situation LiveUpgrade is for? I've
    > not used it -- we can typically get sufficient downtime to do upgrades
    > every couple of years and for the 8>10 move we'll be making lots of
    > other changes so LU probably won't be suitable -- but the docs certainly
    > suggest that it could handle this well.

    That was my first thought. I've had problems with LU, but they've almost
    always mirrored the problems I've had in plain upgrades. The difference,
    of course, is that with LU you don't take your environment down until your
    new environment is configured, upgraded, and ready to boot.

    Colin

  6. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    admin@salvador.bigam-bosscha.org wrote:
    > In comp.unix.solaris Matt McLeod wrote:
    >
    >>In comp.unix.solaris Craig Ian Dewick wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can't do a fresh Solaris 10 install since the machine is a full-time
    >>>server and it was down much longer than it should have been already.

    >>Isn't this pretty much exactly the situation LiveUpgrade is for? I've
    >>not used it -- we can typically get sufficient downtime to do upgrades
    >>every couple of years and for the 8>10 move we'll be making lots of
    >>other changes so LU probably won't be suitable -- but the docs certainly
    >>suggest that it could handle this well.

    > That was my first thought. I've had problems with LU, but they've almost
    > always mirrored the problems I've had in plain upgrades. The difference,
    > of course, is that with LU you don't take your environment down until your
    > new environment is configured, upgraded, and ready to boot.
    >
    > Colin

    Although it is a much longer than usual reboot.

    Pete.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    Peter Bunclark writes:

    >Although it is a much longer than usual reboot.

    In what sense?

    - configuring devices?
    - swapping lu environment?
    - re-reading manifests?

    The first two should be fairly quick; the last one
    was addressed in build 30 of the Solaris Express
    (upgrading *from* that release to later releases
    no longer need to import all manifests)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  8. Re: Solaris 10 install stalled at 'testing upgrade profile' ...

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Peter Bunclark writes:
    >

    >>Although it is a much longer than usual reboot.

    > In what sense?
    >
    > - configuring devices?
    > - swapping lu environment?
    > - re-reading manifests?
    >

    > The first two should be fairly quick; the last one
    > was addressed in build 30 of the Solaris Express
    > (upgrading *from* that release to later releases
    > no longer need to import all manifests)
    >
    > Casper

    Re-synching changed files. And the longer you leave it before
    rebooting, the longer it takes. This isn't so much a criticism,
    more an observation; you get all ready to go one working day,
    come in early next morning to do a quick server reboot before
    the admin staff start work, and have that anxious wait while
    it chugs away... still vastly faster than the offline time
    a jumpstart upgrade would take, still a long time for your
    reputation to be on the line.

    Pete.

+ Reply to Thread