SunOS 5.5 NIS clients on Linux server: problem... - SUN

This is a discussion on SunOS 5.5 NIS clients on Linux server: problem... - SUN ; Anyone using this setup? I've acquired some SunOS 5.5 machines, and I'm trying to set up a NIS server for them on Linux (RHEL 4). This almost works, but I'm getting an "RPC failure on yp operation" when I run ...

  1. SunOS 5.5 NIS clients on Linux server: problem...

    Anyone using this setup?

    I've acquired some SunOS 5.5 machines, and I'm trying to set up a NIS
    server for them on Linux (RHEL 4). This almost works, but I'm getting
    an "RPC failure on yp operation" when I run ypcat on the Sun. If I
    look at passwd.byname, for example:

    # ypmatch evan passwd
    evan:... (gives correct output from the server)
    # getent passwd evan
    evan:... (gives correct output from the server)
    # ypcat passwd
    RPC failure on yp operation

    Any ideas?

    Thanks -

    Evan

  2. Re: SunOS 5.5 NIS clients on Linux server: problem...

    Evan Lavelle writes:

    >Anyone using this setup?

    >I've acquired some SunOS 5.5 machines, and I'm trying to set up a NIS
    >server for them on Linux (RHEL 4). This almost works, but I'm getting
    >an "RPC failure on yp operation" when I run ypcat on the Sun. If I
    >look at passwd.byname, for example:

    ># ypmatch evan passwd
    >evan:... (gives correct output from the server)
    ># getent passwd evan
    >evan:... (gives correct output from the server)
    ># ypcat passwd
    >RPC failure on yp operation

    >Any ideas?

    Check for rpc registration of NIS procedures on the server. This is a
    server issue, most likely.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  3. Re: SunOS 5.5 NIS clients on Linux server: problem...

    On 14 Dec 2005 17:41:40 GMT, Casper H.S. Dik
    wrote:

    >Check for rpc registration of NIS procedures on the server. This is a
    >server issue, most likely.

    Hmmm. Just tried my Linux server setup with an Ultra60/SunOS5.7, and
    ypcat works fine, with (apparently) exactly the same SunOS setup. Much
    more importantly, the Ultra60 completes booting and goes multi-user.

    The original SunOS5.5 box would only boot single-user, which was
    enough for me to get in and play with NIS. However, today it won't
    even boot single-user: it's attempting RPC calls *before* I get to the
    "continue/admin password" choice, and just continuously times out on
    the RPC.

    Any idea how I can get back to completing single-user boot? I've got
    no idea what's changed since yesterday; I guess the power cycle was
    involved in some way.

    Thanks -

    Evan

  4. Re: SunOS 5.5 NIS clients on Linux server: problem...

    Evan Lavelle writes:

    >Hmmm. Just tried my Linux server setup with an Ultra60/SunOS5.7, and
    >ypcat works fine, with (apparently) exactly the same SunOS setup. Much
    >more importantly, the Ultra60 completes booting and goes multi-user.

    Well, perhaps it's an ancient SunOS 5.5 bug.

    >The original SunOS5.5 box would only boot single-user, which was
    >enough for me to get in and play with NIS. However, today it won't
    >even boot single-user: it's attempting RPC calls *before* I get to the
    >"continue/admin password" choice, and just continuously times out on
    >the RPC.

    Hm. Strange. Perhaps the 10 year old OS has finally expired.

    >Any idea how I can get back to completing single-user boot? I've got
    >no idea what's changed since yesterday; I guess the power cycle was
    >involved in some way.

    Powercycles can affect all files modified on boot.

    Casper

+ Reply to Thread