Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60 - SUN

This is a discussion on Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60 - SUN ; Hi everyone, I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9 currently installed. The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config data but as soon as the install process tries to ...

  1. Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60

    Hi everyone,

    I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9
    currently installed.

    The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config
    data but as soon as the install process tries to move on, it's giving an
    error and refusing to continue.

    The error message printed in the install console window is:

    ---- start ----

    runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
    Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
    No sysidcfg found

    ---- stop ----

    Any ideas what causes this and how to work around it? Looks like a utility
    application is missing, but is it missing in the existing Solaris 9
    installation or the Solaris 10 installation being run off the Solaris 10
    1-of-4 CD?

    Thanks,

    Craig.

    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)

  2. Re: Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60

    Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9
    > currently installed.
    >
    > The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config
    > data but as soon as the install process tries to move on, it's giving an
    > error and refusing to continue.
    >
    > The error message printed in the install console window is:
    >
    > ---- start ----
    >
    > runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
    > Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
    > No sysidcfg found
    >
    > ---- stop ----
    >
    > Any ideas what causes this and how to work around it? Looks like a
    > utility application is missing, but is it missing in the existing
    > Solaris 9 installation or the Solaris 10 installation being run off the
    > Solaris 10 1-of-4 CD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Craig.

    open a shell during the install or break out of the install and
    cd /usr/sbin
    run
    df -k .
    where is /usr/sbin mounted
    if its on a local disk then its solaris 9
    if its on a CD partition then its solaris 10
    regards peter

  3. Re: Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60

    peter writes:

    >Craig Ian Dewick wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9
    >> currently installed.
    >>
    >> The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config
    >> data but as soon as the install process tries to move on, it's giving an
    >> error and refusing to continue.
    >>
    >> The error message printed in the install console window is:
    >>
    >> ---- start ----
    >>
    >> runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
    >> Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
    >> No sysidcfg found
    >>
    >> ---- stop ----
    >>
    >> Any ideas what causes this and how to work around it? Looks like a
    >> utility application is missing, but is it missing in the existing
    >> Solaris 9 installation or the Solaris 10 installation being run off the
    >> Solaris 10 1-of-4 CD?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    >open a shell during the install or break out of the install and
    >cd /usr/sbin
    >run
    >df -k .
    >where is /usr/sbin mounted
    >if its on a local disk then its solaris 9
    >if its on a CD partition then its solaris 10
    >regards peter

    Ok I think I've worked out what the problem was! And it's something which
    hadn't even occured to me until now...

    I started up a shell (didn't know I could run up extra shells during a
    Solaris install - that's one thing I've learnt today), checked what the CWD
    was (it was /tmp/root), and I tried to run /usr/sbin/sysidput. I got an
    error message about the domain name I'd specified when 'sysidput' was run.

    In the past I've always been specifying the domain name with a leading '.'.
    So I went back a few steps in the install setup window to the point where
    the domain name is specified, tried removing the leading '.' (so the field
    data was 'apana.org.au' instead of '.apana.org.au') and it's worked!

    Is this documented anywhere? I'm no DNS expert so I don't really know if
    there is an official convention on writing domain names into OS installation
    setup's with a leading '.' or without.

    Thanks to those of you who replied... Now I'll see if I can complete a
    Solaris 10 upgrade on the target system successfully and report back on any
    other problems that I encounter.

    It's still 'initialising' at the moment. Hopefully it'll ask me shortly if I
    want to upgrade or do an initial install so that I can select 'upgrade'.

    Craig.

    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)
    Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world
    Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

+ Reply to Thread