upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i - SUN

This is a discussion on upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i - SUN ; I've compiled Perl 5.8.7 on my Raq-4i without a problem, and using the CPAN module it's been installed into /usr/local as per it's standard configuration. I noticed that Sun's Linux setup has perl 5.0 as the default Perl offering and ...

  1. upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    I've compiled Perl 5.8.7 on my Raq-4i without a problem, and using the CPAN
    module it's been installed into /usr/local as per it's standard configuration.

    I noticed that Sun's Linux setup has perl 5.0 as the default Perl offering and
    I'm wondering how I can actually go about replacing it with 5.8.7? Is there a
    way to do this without shutting down the server? Can I simply change the links
    to make /usr/bin/perl point to /usr/local/bin/perl (the 5.8.7 front-end), and
    then delete the old 5.0 installation including it's directories?

    Also, how can I change the php installation so it supports the 'gettext()'
    function? I have a few sites running on my raq-4i using phpBB and the gallery2
    package, and those two packages need to have gettext() available to support
    proper international language support.

    Regards,

    Craig.

    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web --> "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email me at "cdewick@poison.lios.apana.org.au". Explore my public-domain Sun

  2. Re: upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Craig Dewick wrote:

    > Also, how can I change the php installation so it supports the 'gettext()'
    > function? I have a few sites running on my raq-4i using phpBB and the gallery2
    > package, and those two packages need to have gettext() available to support
    > proper international language support.

    gettext can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.mirror.nl/pub/mirror/gnu/gettext
    - it's a very simple build.

    Once you've built that, you'll need to rebuild PHP, first using the
    configure option --with-gettext=

    --
    Liam Gretton Leiden, Netherlands

  3. Re: upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    Liam Gretton writes:

    >On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Craig Dewick wrote:

    >> Also, how can I change the php installation so it supports the 'gettext()'
    >> function? I have a few sites running on my raq-4i using phpBB and the gallery2
    >> package, and those two packages need to have gettext() available to support
    >> proper international language support.

    >gettext can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.mirror.nl/pub/mirror/gnu/gettext
    >- it's a very simple build.

    >Once you've built that, you'll need to rebuild PHP, first using the
    >configure option --with-gettext=

    Thanks Liam - the php package on the Cobalt server isn't one I built from
    source. It came from one of the commercial Cobalt support places that offers
    some free security-related upgrade packages to take over from where Sun
    stopped.

    Craig.
    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

  4. Re: upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Kralizec Craig wrote:

    > Thanks Liam - the php package on the Cobalt server isn't one I built from
    > source. It came from one of the commercial Cobalt support places that offers
    > some free security-related upgrade packages to take over from where Sun
    > stopped.

    You might be in trouble then, but you could always resort to building your
    own PHP.

    If you run the phpinfo() function against your current PHP engine, one of
    the first items that it will output will show the command used to build
    your version of PHP. You can at least use this as a basis for your own
    rebuild.

    --
    Liam Gretton Leiden, Netherlands

  5. Re: upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    Words to the wise, Craig Dewick wrote:

    >I noticed that Sun's Linux setup has perl 5.0 as the default Perl offering and
    >I'm wondering how I can actually go about replacing it with 5.8.7? Is there a
    >way to do this without shutting down the server? Can I simply change the links
    >to make /usr/bin/perl point to /usr/local/bin/perl (the 5.8.7 front-end), and
    >then delete the old 5.0 installation including it's directories?

    I just replaced the perl symlink in /usr/bin/ to point to the newer
    version and everything seems to work fine. I know that because several
    modules in use needed a newer version of perl than the one originally
    pointed to.

    Not completely sure what this does to for instance perldoc, though.

  6. Re: upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    Liam Gretton writes:

    >On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Kralizec Craig wrote:

    >> Thanks Liam - the php package on the Cobalt server isn't one I built from
    >> source. It came from one of the commercial Cobalt support places that offers
    >> some free security-related upgrade packages to take over from where Sun
    >> stopped.

    >You might be in trouble then, but you could always resort to building your
    >own PHP.

    Well that's easy enough to do, but it'll end up like perl in that even
    though I've built and installed perl 5.8.7 in /usr/local, I can't replace
    the default /usr/bin/perl because of dependencies that will make other parts
    of the system fail to work properly. It's probably something that's
    resolvable without too much drama, but so far I haven't found a document
    detailing how to replace the vendor-supplied perl packages with a
    locally-compiled up to date version.

    >If you run the phpinfo() function against your current PHP engine, one of
    >the first items that it will output will show the command used to build
    >your version of PHP. You can at least use this as a basis for your own
    >rebuild.

    Thanks Liam that's a good tip.

    Craig.
    --
    Craig Dewick (craig@poison.lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)

  7. Re: upgrading Perl, php, and mysql on raq-4i

    Antti writes:

    >On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:22:18 +0100, Liam Gretton wrote:

    >> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Kralizec Craig wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Liam - the php package on the Cobalt server isn't one I built from
    >>> source. It came from one of the commercial Cobalt support places that offers
    >>> some free security-related upgrade packages to take over from where Sun
    >>> stopped.

    >We build our own PHP so that we can put it well away in /opt, away from
    >anything that might be managed by someone else's packages.

    That's a good option - did you have problems using the standard C compiler
    package? It's quite an ancient version of gcc that might not support
    everything that current generation software packages expects a compiler to
    do.

    Craig.
    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996
    Main site: www.sunrk.com.au - Ebay Shop: www.ebayshops.com.au/sunripenedkernels
    Ph: 02-9520-2547 (int. +612) - Fax: gone - Mobile: 04-2163-0547 (int. +614)

+ Reply to Thread