Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN ; In Dave writes: >So now it decides it *must* have gcc, whereas I'd made sure gcc was not >in the path. >This sort of thing can not be in Sun's interest. For commercial use >people do want to use hardware ...

  1. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    In <439e3105@212.67.96.135> Dave writes:

    >So now it decides it *must* have gcc, whereas I'd made sure gcc was not
    >in the path.

    >This sort of thing can not be in Sun's interest. For commercial use
    >people do want to use hardware & development tools with which their
    >software builds without too much hassle. But how are people supposed to
    >check if their package runs on a Sun unless they have access to one? Not
    >everyone does.

    Here is a related problem. I downloaded a pre-compiled Perl version 2.8.5
    from sunfreeware.com (or rather, its mirror on sunsite.org.uk). Evidently,
    it had been compiled with gcc, but that should not stop it from running on
    any Solaris Sparc system - but it does.

    Because if you try to download a package from the CPAN library (using the
    cpan program provided), and the package includes some C program that needs
    to be compiled, it wants to compile it with gcc, because that apparently
    is how it has been configured. It took me many hours to hack Config.pm and
    config.h to make it use Sun's 'cc'. And all it required was for them to
    have included the proper 'configure' program with their download - the one
    they used when compiling the system in the first place.

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

  2. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    "Charles Lindsey" writes:

    >Because if you try to download a package from the CPAN library (using the
    >cpan program provided), and the package includes some C program that needs
    >to be compiled, it wants to compile it with gcc, because that apparently
    >is how it has been configured. It took me many hours to hack Config.pm and
    >config.h to make it use Sun's 'cc'. And all it required was for them to
    >have included the proper 'configure' program with their download - the one
    >they used when compiling the system in the first place.

    So why not use Sun's provided perl? (Note that perl is particularly
    hard because the system's configuration is then used for all further
    configs)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  3. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    In article ,
    Charles Lindsey wrote:
    >Here is a related problem. I downloaded a pre-compiled Perl version 2.8.5
    >from sunfreeware.com (or rather, its mirror on sunsite.org.uk). Evidently,
    >it had been compiled with gcc, but that should not stop it from running on
    >any Solaris Sparc system - but it does.

    You're better off using your own build of Perl for your own development.
    I use the Sun Studio compilers, but it should be possible to use SUNWgcc
    or one of the other packaged gcc's.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    In <439f1ec6$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >"Charles Lindsey" writes:

    >So why not use Sun's provided perl? (Note that perl is particularly
    >hard because the system's configuration is then used for all further
    >configs)

    Because there is no Sun-provided Perl in Solaris 7. And because I had a
    program that needed something newer than the 5.003 I had been using.

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

+ Reply to Thread