Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN ; Dave, I agree with much of what you have said about compiling OSS on Solaris. I don't think you're griping at all either. If you didn't have any solutions/ideas for the problems, then maybe you'd be griping. I am constantly ...

  1. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    Dave,

    I agree with much of what you have said about compiling OSS on Solaris.
    I don't think you're griping at all either. If you didn't have any
    solutions/ideas for the problems, then maybe you'd be griping.

    I am constantly learning how to compiling better on Solaris 9. You're
    ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Someone, or we, need to start a web site that
    concentrates on How-To compile better on Solaris. Have different
    levels of complexity too. From setting common variable s to a "Myth
    Buster" problem/solution area - a "confirmed" area that one can get
    better "guesses" to their problems. Realizing of course it's nearly
    impossible to duplication any one serious problem.

    As you said, there are many variables to set. Common and not-so-common
    errors we all get. After spending hours upon hours "trying to find"
    Glib for pete's sake when compiling gtk+ when you KNOW you have
    installed it and you can see it.

    Sorry, can you tell I've been trying to compile glib & gtk+ lately?

    God forbit we try to compile all the latest packages to run GIMP or
    gFTP 2.0.18 on Solaris. I've not been able to do it and I don't even
    think Steve Christiansen can do it. "No updates." - Pressure!

    The fact is, with OpenSolaris on the market now people are going to
    learn how to write better OS code for Solaris - hopefully. We're
    unfortunately going to have to wait for that day. Not all of us can be
    programmers. Sometimes admins have little to work with, but really
    could us getting an updated tool working.

    BIG GRIPE. I know you all have done this. You ask Mr. Google about
    your compilation errors and you find that EVERYONE else out there has
    asked the SAME flipp'in questions. BUT NO ANSWERS!!! Or you'll find
    "... oh I did it, but I don't know how." This is when depression sets
    in. Other times people are trying to be helpful, but are in fact just
    guessing, which has wasted our time reading useless google results.

    SOLUTION for GRIP: Dedicated web site JUST For compiling open source
    on Solaris platforms. One-stop-shop!

    Can anyone reading this thread REALLY help? Sun? Sunsovle? Sun Docs?
    Steve Christiansen? Blast wave? Where's the detailed docs for
    compiling-noobs like us?

    The Gcc books are helpful, but again, geared towards Linux.

    Help us ground-pounders in the trenches Jonathan Schwartz!

    Thanks for the thread Dave!

  2. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    On 13/12/05 4:59, in article
    1134493168.711122.285170@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com, "ChrisS"
    wrote:

    > Can anyone reading this thread REALLY help? Sun? Sunsovle? Sun Docs?
    > Steve Christiansen? Blast wave? Where's the detailed docs for
    > compiling-noobs like us?

    What would be helpful sometimes is seeing the build scripts that the
    Blastwave package maintainers (for example) use. I assume these are checked
    into some version control system somewhere?

    > The Gcc books are helpful, but again, geared towards Linux.

    I have sadly found some resistance among the more fervent Linux-y types into
    making their "open source" stuff build properly on non-Linux boxes. (OS X in
    my case.)

    > Help us ground-pounders in the trenches Jonathan Schwartz!

    Can you confirm for us non-Americans that that's a good thing?

    > Thanks for the thread Dave!

    Certainly...

    Cheers,

    Chris