Hello everyone,

I've been tasked with investigating trunking as a possible replacement
for IPMP (we need performance in addition to failover). I SEEM to have
gotten everything setup, but I'm having one persistent error and some
oddities in performance (which my be a lack of understanding or due to
the previously mentioned error). First, my configuration:

Host A is a 280R with a 4-port GigaSwift card running Solaris 8
Host B is a V890 with a 4-port GigaSwift card running Solaris 10
Switch is a Cisco 3550

On A and B, I have a very similar nettr -setup script:
nettr -setup 0 device=ce members=0,1,2,3 policy=2

Except B has the key as 2 since it already has several ce interfaces
configured.

HostA 'nettr -conf':
Key: 0; Policy: 2;
Aggr MAC address: 0:3:ba:da:19:37
Name Original-Mac-Addr Speed Duplex Link Status
---- ----------------- ----- ------ ---- ------
ce0 0:3:ba:da:19:37 100 full up enb
ce1 0:3:ba:da:19:38 100 full up enb
ce2 0:3:ba:da:19:39 100 full up enb
ce3 0:3:ba:da:19:3a 100 full up enb

HostB 'nettr -conf':
Key: 2; Policy: 2;
Aggr MAC address: 0:3:ba:b3:4:30
Name Original-Mac-Addr Speed Duplex Link Status
---- ----------------- ----- ------ ---- ------
ce2 0:3:ba:b3:4:30 100 full up enb
ce3 0:3:ba:b3:4:31 100 full up enb
ce4 0:3:ba:b3:4:32 100 full up enb
ce5 0:3:ba:b3:4:33 100 full up enb

Now, on the switch, I ran through this setup to create the
EtherChannel:
configure terminal
interface range fa0/# - #
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
channel-group # mode auto

Now HostA is on ports 1-4 and HostB is on ports 11-14. Also, HostA is
on channel-group 1, where HostB is on channel-group 2.

Now, the error I'm getting is that another MAC address is taking our
IP. I've changed the BootProm variable 'local-mac-address?' to be true
on both systems. Things work (sort of) but I'm not sure if this error
might be causing my other issue, that being performance.

Running 'nettr -stats interval=5' and then using rcp to copy a
1GB file between the systems shows the in and out packets being split
between the 4 interfaces (as one would expect in the round-robin
policy). However, I never break more than about 80 Mbit running one
copy. Running three copies simultaneously, I hit about 103 Mbit max.
This is confusing to me as I thought I should see over 300 Mbit. I know
I won't get 400 Mbit total (overhead and what not) but I expected
something more than this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I imagine I'm having a mental
disconnect somewhere. Please let me know if you need additional
information.

Thanks,
Steven