Want to put 300gb IDE drive in Blade 1500...can this be done? - SUN

This is a discussion on Want to put 300gb IDE drive in Blade 1500...can this be done? - SUN ; I'm trying to put a 300gb Seagate ST3300831A into a Sun Blade 1500 system (on the IDE bus) but it's showing up as only a 500mb drive (as there isn't a correct entry in the format.dat file). Does anyone know ...

  1. Want to put 300gb IDE drive in Blade 1500...can this be done?

    I'm trying to put a 300gb Seagate ST3300831A into a Sun Blade 1500 system
    (on the IDE bus) but it's showing up as only a 500mb drive (as there isn't
    a correct entry in the format.dat file). Does anyone know what kind of
    entry I can put in there that will let me use the drive? This is running on
    Solaris 8 btw. (Would this work if I put the drive in a USB external
    enclosure?)

    I don't even care if it only goes to 200gb or so. I know Sun only supports
    up to 120gb, and I'm afraid that Sun has crippled the interface to only go
    up that high.

    If you know, can you please email me at chessasaur@yahoo.com. I can't get
    newsgroup posts at work and I'd like to try anyone's ideas tomorrow at
    work.

    Thanks in advance!
    Mike

  2. Re: Want to put 300gb IDE drive in Blade 1500...can this be done?

    In article ,
    Mike wrote:

    > I'm trying to put a 300gb Seagate ST3300831A into a Sun Blade 1500 system
    > (on the IDE bus) but it's showing up as only a 500mb drive (as there isn't
    > a correct entry in the format.dat file). Does anyone know what kind of
    > entry I can put in there that will let me use the drive? This is running on
    > Solaris 8 btw. (Would this work if I put the drive in a USB external
    > enclosure?)
    >
    > I don't even care if it only goes to 200gb or so. I know Sun only supports
    > up to 120gb, and I'm afraid that Sun has crippled the interface to only go
    > up that high.
    >
    > If you know, can you please email me at chessasaur@yahoo.com. I can't get
    > newsgroup posts at work and I'd like to try anyone's ideas tomorrow at
    > work.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Mike

    I think there's a driver-imposed 137GB limit on IDE disks. There's some
    discussion on if it's really a ATA-6 driver issue (implementing the
    ATA-6 LBA48 addressing mode) or actually a hardware restriction. This
    is definitely a hard restriction with Solaris 8. You might try Solaris
    10 or switch to SCSI drives, which don't have this problem.

    See

    http://tinyurl.com/aa8po
    http://tinyurl.com/cogn2

    Bottom line: you only get to use to 137GB IDE drives, AFAIK. And I
    don't think you can boot using USB or Firewire, so that's no help
    either. Find another use for the 300GB drive.

  3. Re: Want to put 300gb IDE drive in Blade 1500...can this be done?

    Mike wrote:
    > I'm trying to put a 300gb Seagate ST3300831A into a Sun Blade 1500 system
    > (on the IDE bus) but it's showing up as only a 500mb drive (as there isn't
    > a correct entry in the format.dat file). Does anyone know what kind of

    Use the format tool in solaris - WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0 cyl 57459 alt 2 hd
    16 sec 255 these are the details for a 120Gb disk, try with these as a
    start and increase the cyl till it breaks

    > entry I can put in there that will let me use the drive? This is running on
    > Solaris 8 btw. (Would this work if I put the drive in a USB external
    > enclosure?)

    if you want to boot then no, but usb and firewire both work for 120Gb
    disks - say a blog with some one installing a 160gb disk using firewire
    caddy. Given the choice I would go for a firewire caddy over USB, its
    a better standard.

    > I don't even care if it only goes to 200gb or so. I know Sun only supports
    > up to 120gb, and I'm afraid that Sun has crippled the interface to only go
    > up that high.

    The interface i do not think is crippled, as its ata100. I think the
    ide drivers have not been updated since they were made.

    > If you know, can you please email me at chessasaur@yahoo.com. I can't get
    > newsgroup posts at work and I'd like to try anyone's ideas tomorrow at
    > work.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Mike

  4. Re: Want to put 300gb IDE drive in Blade 1500...can this be done?

    Michael Vilain wrote:
    > I think there's a driver-imposed 137GB limit on IDE disks. There's some
    > discussion on if it's really a ATA-6 driver issue (implementing the
    > ATA-6 LBA48 addressing mode) or actually a hardware restriction. This
    > is definitely a hard restriction with Solaris 8. You might try Solaris
    > 10 or switch to SCSI drives, which don't have this problem.

    the 137G limit AFAIK is due to 40 bit addressing that has to be
    supported by the controller. only newer ATA133 and up support it from
    what i've experienced.

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...

+ Reply to Thread