Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN ; In comp.unix.solaris Logan Shaw wrote: > It is in Sun's interest to ensure that software can be built on their > machines. It used to be the most widely-supported platform for open > source stuff, but now Linux is that. ...

  1. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    In comp.unix.solaris Logan Shaw wrote:
    > It is in Sun's interest to ensure that software can be built on their
    > machines. It used to be the most widely-supported platform for open
    > source stuff, but now Linux is that.

    I find that many software packages configured using the auto* scripts have
    problems compiling on Sol10. Sadly the cause is always poor design of the
    tests that go into the configure script rather than Sun not providing
    suitable libraries etc. Poor assumptions (bash = sh, awk = nawk etc)
    abound, lack of testing on anything other than Linux plus gcc being very
    liberal are the root causes.

    But, a little experience helps and one soon learns how to debug the auto*
    generated scripts.

    --
    Geoff Lane

    If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick first.

  2. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    Geoff Lane writes:
    > In comp.unix.solaris Logan Shaw wrote:
    >> It is in Sun's interest to ensure that software can be built on their
    >> machines. It used to be the most widely-supported platform for open
    >> source stuff, but now Linux is that.

    > I find that many software packages configured using the auto* scripts have
    > problems compiling on Sol10. Sadly the cause is always poor design of the
    > tests that go into the configure script rather than Sun not providing
    > suitable libraries etc. Poor assumptions (bash = sh, awk = nawk etc)
    > abound, lack of testing on anything other than Linux plus gcc being very
    > liberal are the root causes.

    Does any modern system other than Solaris still use the old awk by
    default?

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>