Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up. - SUN ; Dave wrote: > Logan Shaw wrote: >> I'll also add that if Sun is going to do this, they should consider >> Niagara-based systems for lots of the hardware, if only for the >> entertainment value. >> I know, I ...

  1. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    Dave wrote:
    > Logan Shaw wrote:

    >> I'll also add that if Sun is going to do this, they should consider
    >> Niagara-based systems for lots of the hardware, if only for the
    >> entertainment value.

    >> I know, I know, it's kinda gimmicky, but it catches people's attention
    >> when you can have saying "pass WHAT to 'make'?" and "holy CRAP that was
    >> fast!" be part of their experience. ;-)

    > Or of course breaks, as not all programs build properly in parallel !!

    This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you give developers access to
    a machine on which building in parallel is *fun*, then they might
    actually try building in parallel. Which would serve to expose more
    bugs related to building in parallel.

    - Logan

  2. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    Logan Shaw wrote:

    >>> I know, I know, it's kinda gimmicky, but it catches people's attention
    >>> when you can have saying "pass WHAT to 'make'?" and "holy CRAP that was
    >>> fast!" be part of their experience. ;-)

    >> Or of course breaks, as not all programs build properly in parallel !!

    > This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you give developers access to
    > a machine on which building in parallel is *fun*, then they might
    > actually try building in parallel. Which would serve to expose more
    > bugs related to building in parallel.
    >
    > - Logan

    True.

    Of couse there is dmake too, which can be in parallel on many machines
    at once!! How quick could something big like Gimp, gcc or similar be
    compiled then?

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: A suggestion for Sun to take up.

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:55:47 +0000,
    Dave at southminster-branch-line.org.uk wrote:
    > Of couse there is dmake too, which can be in parallel on many machines
    > at once!! How quick could something big like Gimp, gcc or similar be
    > compiled then?

    That depends a lot on, uhm, the dependencies I guess

    Getting the dependencies of all the files right in makefiles is nice,
    but I've seen too many programs, libraries and other tools whose build
    infrastructure fails to do that.

    But being able to build gcc or even OpenSolaris itself in parallel, on a
    very fast Niagara testbed machine, sounds very exciting.

    - Giorgos

+ Reply to Thread