Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware - SUN

This is a discussion on Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware - SUN ; Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. ...

  1. Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

    Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If
    memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a
    Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. However, I
    can't remember said command. Could anyone here enlighten me?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

    In article <1134071239.510446.51020@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    Ben Bowen wrote:

    >Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If
    >memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a
    >Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. However, I
    >can't remember said command. Could anyone here enlighten me?

    If that is a 440MHz t 1120 then you need to boot from a special Operating
    Environment CD to install Solaris 2.6 5/98. No earlier version would work
    either.

    -Raf

  3. Re: Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

    In comp.unix.solaris Raf LaPietra wrote:
    > In article <1134071239.510446.51020@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    > Ben Bowen wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If
    >>memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a
    >>Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. However, I
    >>can't remember said command. Could anyone here enlighten me?
    >>

    > If that is a 440MHz t 1120 then you need to boot from a special Operating
    > Environment CD to install Solaris 2.6 5/98. No earlier version would work
    > either.

    There was a command that would change the CPU speed. That might have
    let it work.

    If you don't have the operating environment CD, then you can set up a
    jumpstart server with 5/98 and patch the jumpstart image. I have no
    ideas which ones are necessary, but I'll be just getting the kernel
    patch and its prereqs on the image would get a good boot.

    I suppose you could do the same thing to a 5/98 ISO image and reburn it,
    but that might be a bit trickier.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  4. Re: Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread