line printer settings - SUN

This is a discussion on line printer settings - SUN ; Hi, We have a network Tally 6100 line printer which we use for printing continuous forms. I have defined a print-queue named rmt on my solaris 8 server using the following command: lpadmin -p rmt -o length=88 -o cpi=10 -o ...

  1. line printer settings

    Hi,
    We have a network Tally 6100 line printer which we use for printing
    continuous forms. I have defined a print-queue named rmt on my solaris
    8 server using the following command:

    lpadmin -p rmt -o length=88 -o cpi=10 -o lpi=8 -f allow:all -T ibmxl -I
    simple -m netstandard -o dest=printer_network_address:515 -o
    protocol=bsd -v /dev/null

    I can print the files on the printer but the cpi,lpi and length
    settings are not sent to the printer by the server. The default
    settings of the printer is cpi=12 , lpi=6 and length=66 . But I want
    these settings to be changed to cpi=10 , lpi=8 and length=88 when I
    send a job to the rmt queue.

    I also used the lp command in order to change the cpi, lpi and length
    values but nothing happened. The command I used is as follows:

    lp -d rmt -o cpi=10 -o lpi=8 -o length=88 test.txt

    Is the problem related with netstandard model file or the printer type
    I am using?

    The printer emulation defined on the printer is ibm proprinter,
    therefore I used ibmxl as the printer type. I also tried
    ibmproprinter,unknown,epson2500 printer types.

    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: line printer settings

    burakbilen@gmail.com writes:

    >lpadmin -p rmt -o length=88 -o cpi=10 -o lpi=8 -f allow:all -T ibmxl -I
    >simple -m netstandard -o dest=printer_network_address:515 -o
    >protocol=bsd -v /dev/null
    >
    >I can print the files on the printer but the cpi,lpi and length
    >settings are not sent to the printer by the server.

    That's right. There is no method for passing those parameters to the
    print server code in the printer's network card using the "bsd" print
    protocol. If the printer were attached to your parallel port, the
    parameters would be transformed into command sequences in the printer's
    command language.

    However, there is no universal standard control language for printers
    so the netstandard interface script doesn't know how to tell your Tally
    printer to set the length, cpi and lpi for your printouts. (Postscript
    and HP's PCL are supported by a wide range printer makes and models,
    but not by all of them)

    You need to use an interface script that knows how to convert the
    arguments "cpi=10", "lpi=8" and "length=88" into command sequences
    and prefix the print data with them. The "standard" interface script
    does this by means of the printer's entry in the terminfo database.

    Some printer manufacturers have written interface scripts that know
    the command language used by their printers. HP's Jetdirect software
    for Solaris is one example. Xerox had similar software for their
    printers a few years ago. Lexmark too. Perhaps Tally has software
    you can use.

    Otherwise you might be able to modify a copy of the netstandard
    interface script to do this, using parts of the standard script as
    a model for how to access the terminfo definitions.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  3. Re: line printer settings

    I put some echo lines inside the netstandard file (and redirected the
    output to a file in /tmp) to see whether the print service using
    netstandard file or not. But the echo lines printed nothing (actually
    the output file was not created). I suspect that the netstandard file
    is being used by the print service.

  4. Re: line printer settings

    burakbilen@gmail.com writes:

    >I put some echo lines inside the netstandard file (and redirected the
    >output to a file in /tmp) to see whether the print service using
    >netstandard file or not. But the echo lines printed nothing (actually
    >the output file was not created). I suspect that the netstandard file
    >is being used by the print service.

    When you create the print queue, the netstandard file is copied to
    the /etc/lp/interfaces directory and given the name of the printer.
    The copy of the file in /etc/lp/interfaces is the one that is used
    to deliver print files to the printer.

    So you need to put your echo lines in the file that has the same name
    as your printer queue, in the directory /etc/lp/interfaces.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.