Re: Mapping disk hardware address to logical address? - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Mapping disk hardware address to logical address? - SUN ; If I have a server connected to disk arrays, I'd like to be able to determine which arrays/disks are mapped to hardware devices. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this from the OBP, which is why the format ...

  1. Re: Mapping disk hardware address to logical address?

    If I have a server connected to disk arrays, I'd like to be able to
    determine which arrays/disks are mapped to hardware devices. Ideally,
    I'd like to be able to do this from the OBP, which is why the format
    command option isn't really available to me.

    Thanks for the replies.

  2. Re: Mapping disk hardware address to logical address?

    In comp.unix.solaris Ben Bowen wrote:
    > If I have a server connected to disk arrays, I'd like to be able to
    > determine which arrays/disks are mapped to hardware devices. Ideally,
    > I'd like to be able to do this from the OBP, which is why the format
    > command option isn't really available to me.

    I don't think that's possible. The mapping depends on the history of
    the machine, and the history isn't available to you from the OBP.

    Machine history 1
    Insert card A -> becomes c1
    Insert card B -> becomes c2

    Machine history 2
    Insert card B -> becomes c1
    Insert card A -> becomes c2

    So two (hardware) identical machines may have different logical
    addresses for the same devices.

    For most devices this mapping is kept in /etc/path_to_inst and for
    controllers in /dev/cfg.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com